Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#139440 - 07/11/08 03:24 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I was just reading up on the Canadian National Parks website about what they recommend for black bears

They recommend suspending food between 2 trees and recommend bear proof containers only when you're somewhere that you can't hang your food. I wouldn't have thought about that one but the picture on this related page makes it clear that just hanging might not be enough for some bears:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/docs/v-g/oursnoir-blackbear/page4_E.asp

They also recommend a 100M distance between camp and smelly activities like cooking.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/docs/v-g/oursnoir-blackbear/page6_E.asp

#139442 - 07/11/08 03:46 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
As a guy thinking about being prepared to survive, does all this mean if we think we are ever going to be in bear country we should learn and observe bear discipline all the time?

For example, I know I am not likely to get my tent or sleeping bag deodorized (if that is even possible) so I should not bring or keep food or toiletries - or a pack in which I carry such stuff - into either, ever?? Never use deodorant on any trip in which I will use my tent or sleeping bag??

Edited by dweste (07/11/08 03:50 PM)

#139444 - 07/11/08 04:12 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, NightHiker.

I may not have been clear. I have not generally observed any bear precautions in the places I hike and camp because they have never been recommended. I have never seen any sign of bears and never heard of anyone encountering a bear problem where I go (California coastal beach and rainforest areas, and central California high altitude - over 7,000 feet - Sierra Nevada mountains).

I am now planning some trips in the Yosemite area and northern Shasta-Trinity area, both of which are known to have many bears and some human-bear interaction problems. Bear cannisters and conduct precautions are recommended.

My question: because my gear is going to be used in bear and non-bear environments, does that mean I need / should use standard bear precautions everywhere I camp? Or is it enough to change gears and use such precautions only in bear country?

#139450 - 07/11/08 05:25 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I would say that taking bear precautions where there are no bears is not needed.

But do your homework. Bears turn up in unlikely places and can travel a long way for food. Just because you've never seen one before doesn't mean there isn't.

I know the parks site in Canada lists all known bears and predators sightings weekly by region so that you can look before you go and know that there's a sow with 2 cubs hanging around the area you're heading to (for example).

This also helps in spring if a cranky bear comes out of hibernation early...a bad situation for everybody involved. I normally don't worry about bears while it's still winter out but if a bear has been sighted, I'll bring the spray and hang my food.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/docs/v-g/oursgest-bearmanag/yoho/ours-bear1_e.asp

Edited by Hacksaw (07/11/08 05:26 PM)
Edit Reason: added link

#139457 - 07/11/08 06:10 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Okay, I am thinking all that through.

I am used to: Bundling up in my bag, jacket, cap, and gloves, and leaning over to cook dinner. Dirty stuff left in hot soapy water until morning. Comfort journeys less than 50 feet away.

Going through some culture shock is all.

#139459 - 07/11/08 06:51 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: dweste
I need / should use standard bear precautions everywhere I camp? Or is it enough to change gears and use such precautions only in bear country?

Why not make it a habit, so you don't forget to do it in the wrong area???

#139461 - 07/11/08 06:59 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Yeah. You're going to have to change a few things.

FYI. I keep my clothes in an OR roll top silnylon dry bag (or waterproof compression bag) and my food in another...as much for scent control as moisture control.

You can also control smell by going with dried foods and 'boil in bag' techniques. Saves on washing dishes too. It's all too common for somebody to dump dish water 10 feet from camp in the bushes only to have a bear sniff around later.

I've heard that a bear is as sensitive to our body smell as we are to a skunk's. Not sure if that's true or how you'd measure though smile

#139462 - 07/11/08 07:08 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: ]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
There are two main ways to get the experience needed to make good judgment calls.

1. Go under prepared and figure out what you need to bring next time.
2. Go over prepared and figure what you can leave out next time.

I much prefer #2. In regards to bear country, I'd start assuming I need full precautions, and adjust accordingly after I've gotten sufficient experience to know otherwise.

#139472 - 07/11/08 10:11 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have a tent that I have used, a lot, since I bought it in '89 or so. I have never cooked or eaten in it, but food, toothpaste, etc, has been stored in it from time to time. I have used it in Yosemite Valley, Little Yosemite Valley (where there are a lot of bears, altho I never saw one there), and Sequoia NP, all without a problem. But a friend, with a similar tent, was in the backcountry of Yosemite once, came back from a hike and found a new door in his tent, even tho there was nothing "smelly" in it at the time. So, to try to answer your question, who knows???

#139496 - 07/12/08 01:28 PM Re: Black bears and my food supplies [Re: Stu]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Originally Posted By: dweste
I need / should use standard bear precautions everywhere I camp? Or is it enough to change gears and use such precautions only in bear country?

Why not make it a habit, so you don't forget to do it in the wrong area???

I agree completely.

If you make it a habit then you're covered where ever you go.

Bears pop up in the darnedest places.

Besides, there are other critters sniffing around looking for a easy meal that may not be as big a threat as bears, but could be a damned inconvenience.

I learned that the hard way when I first started backpacking when I crawled out of my tent in the dark and stumbled onto a pile of fire ants working over the area where I had cooked and eaten my dinner the previous night.

Big Mama Nature is a harsh and very effective teacher...

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.