Topic Options
#139692 - 07/15/08 03:59 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"
You need to keep in mind that those traps/triggers look simple and easy, but getting them actually set to work is sometimes a pain in the fanny. Like many things, practice helps, a lot...

Well Sir, you are right- But as I am not doing this to cover ground quickly, and once I find a comfortable place to set up, I'll have some leeway to play around with trapping a bit. Might as well give it a shot, and as long as I have the concepts, I can always work toward perfecting them later----

#139696 - 07/15/08 04:26 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
1) Trapping laws vary by county. They are typically quite intricate. An SAS survival guide will be of no use here. For that matter, most of the traps on the link above are illegal in the US. (For real survival situations, see (3) below.)

2) You'll need a valid hunting/trapping license.

3) And finally, purposefully putting yourself into a situation where it would be reasonably expected that you'll be forced to violate laws for your own survival is not a defense.

In other words, going into the woods without food or the licenses to obtain it sounds like you're all set to break the law. Claiming you "had to" because you decided not to bring any food with you isn't likely to get you very far.

#139698 - 07/15/08 04:43 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Fitzoid]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Much like going camping someplace remote by a pond. If you start fishing, you will need a valid license and you must abide by the fishing laws of that state / county / lord high mugwump.

If, however during the course of camping something unforseen would occur, got lost, stranded, flood, etc... and you are fishing without a license, you are ok as you are now in a survival situation.

Very very fine line.

#139702 - 07/15/08 05:20 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Mike_H]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Ok... So basically, if somebody wants to walk across the country obtaining food along the way, one would have to obtain licenses for EVERY single county they travel through?

#139705 - 07/15/08 05:36 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Speaking about fishing licenses... you only need it for the state. There may be special rules per county. Some waterways are restricted in some counties, etc...

And you would need to get a non-resident license.

Looking at my guide for PA, just as an example:

A resident license would only be $22.70, but a non-resident is $52.70. You could get a 7 day tourist license for $34.70.

This seems to be a good site to get you information you may need.
Fishing License 101

I know that hunting / trapping regulations are very similiar in needed various liceneses...

Edited by Mike_H (07/15/08 05:39 PM)

#139706 - 07/15/08 05:37 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: Chaotiklown
Ok... So basically, if somebody wants to walk across the country obtaining food along the way, one would have to obtain licenses for EVERY single county they travel through?

Licenses are generally issued by the state. They may be limited to state residents and even then can be in demand. They often cover very specific time periods, locations, etc. When available, non-resident licenses can be very expensive, e.g., a trapping license in Georgia is $300 if you don't live there.

The privileges provided depend on which type of licenses you purchase, e.g., fishing, hunting, weapon type, trapping, etc., etc., and privileges vary from county to county. It's your responsibility to know the law where you are.

Bottom line is most people know the law where they live and the one or two places they frequent most and that's about it.

#139715 - 07/15/08 07:05 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Fitzoid]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

:-( Fantastical...

#139718 - 07/15/08 07:46 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:

Quote:
:-( Fantastical...

Wait, you didn't know this?! Okay, not every county but at least every state requires new hunting and fishing licenses.

I said it before and I say it again, "Dibs on his knives!"

-Blast, ignoring the Prime Directive
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#139720 - 07/15/08 08:05 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Blast]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Blast

Wait, you didn't know this?! Okay, not every county but at least every state requires new hunting and fishing licenses.

I said it before and I say it again, "Dibs on his knives!"

-Blast, ignoring the Prime Directive

I am aware of this Sir, but I'm just wondering exactly how much hassle I'm going to have a potential of catching---

And Sir, don't get your hopes up about my knives- I said it before, and I say it again- It'll sting when you receive the "I told you so", when I hop back on this forum and let you guys know how it went afterwards- The positive thoughts are appreciated:-)

#139721 - 07/15/08 08:07 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

I have no intention of breaking any laws intentionally- Someone tells me to stop or revise what I'm doing, I have no problem in doing so- Not looking to infringe on anyone, or any law.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.