The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#139134 - 07/09/08 05:25 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: NightHiker]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I somehow knew Blast would chime in with bugs... ;-) But, very true, good protein there.

#139138 - 07/09/08 05:38 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Mike_H]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

+1 on fishing. That would be my best chance for food by far (assuming there were fish where I was at the time).

If you can't carry a gun, practice up with a sling shot. If you're good it's enough power to get a squirrel, gopher, or bird if you're a good shot.

#139139 - 07/09/08 05:42 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: ]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Sling shot! Holy crumbs, I can't believe I didn't think of that before... Thanks! NO permit required, and I have a bit of an eye for shooting things like that, and can improve quickly. Believe I'm going to have to add it to my equipment list...

#139141 - 07/09/08 05:45 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Just the normal precautions with using sling shots... If the rubber breaks, it can really be a pain. Bring extra.

#139142 - 07/09/08 05:49 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Mike_H]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Thanks, good point:-)... Any suggested types? I've used slingshots before, and have seen a few types... I know there's the straight-handle "Y" design, but it doesn't seem as effective or accurate as the ones that have a wrist support... Any real differences in durability or effectiveness between them, or others I'm not aware of?

#139143 - 07/09/08 05:49 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Snares would normally be my choice for trying to hunt in a survival situation, along with trot lines for fishing. I think Susan said long ago that using them was the sure way to be found, because as soon as you did a fiish and game officer would show up. However, as mentioned about, it's probably not a great idea when you want to move.

Hacksaw's idea of a slingshot is good.

Two other things you might look at are:

http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter/

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/hunting/slings/sstoneagesling/

http://slinging.org/

I'd try my hand at these things before I ever considered packing a bag and relying on them to eat.

Also, be aware that there is such a thing as rabbit starvation.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

#139147 - 07/09/08 06:18 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Dan_McI]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Hmm... You're right about practicing before I go a bit, just to get comfortable- It's a good idea by default. But I'm not so sure about the blowguns, due to the size of the tool- Trying to keep my packing as light and least bulky as possible. Far as rock slings go, I'd imagine it would take a bit more practice to get proficient with one of those, as opposed to a good slinshot... But those sites have a TON of other information on them, and I'm going through it all now! Thanks!:-)

#139152 - 07/09/08 06:42 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think if you followed the instructions on the blowgun pages and built one as described, you might also be able to disguise it as a hiking stick.

#139157 - 07/09/08 07:07 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Blowguns are illegal in many places too.

Speaking of hiking sticks though if you were to carry a good bamboo or willow pole as a walking stick it could double as a hobo fishing rod and wouldn't take up any extra space.

Personally I prefer the real thing. Telescopic rods can be pretty good these days. When I'm backpacking I carry a 4 piece 6'6" Rhino rod in a map tube. Both cost me less than $35 combined. I use a hand-me-down level wind bait caster I got from my dad and a fly fishing tackle box which also holds my snare stuff. A little bulky but very light. I keep 2 Speedhooks and a couple of Pickerel rigs in the tackle box so that I can improvise a killer night line using the 20lb test I tote for gear repair.

#139158 - 07/09/08 07:19 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
I would suggest a simple Crosman 1322 or 1377 pump up pellet pistol. They don't weight that much more than the sling shot and are much more effective in my opioion. Pellets don't weigh much for the quantity taken.

David Enoch

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.