Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#139093 - 07/09/08 02:43 PM Lots of police out there, I see...
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
This is relevant to survival, and there are many police and ex-police on this forum that might be able to answer my question... How much flak am I going to be catching from authorities, while walking around the country on foot? I have proper ID and a mailing address, but will be hoofing it everywhere I go. "Vagrancy", "homelessness" might be words that they would use... Will any of this be a real problem for me?

#139097 - 07/09/08 03:13 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Chaotiklown,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ_OMThfhNs&feature=related

Just remember to have a good haircut, take a bath occassionaly and say 'Have a nice day' and you'll be fine whistle

#139098 - 07/09/08 03:16 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Good ID, obey all laws, have a good story (the truth is always best), and you shouldn't have much of a problem...

#139099 - 07/09/08 03:23 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
As my father has lamented about in the past, sleeping in public normally no longer gets you a rap on the bottom of your shoes with a night stick.

I think you biggest difficulty with other humans is not going to be with law enforcement, but it will be with others who don't know you and wonder what you are doing in their community or those who see you as a victim for a crime of opportunity.

#139101 - 07/09/08 03:27 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Dan_McI]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

I'm not exactly vulnerable, and not worried about opportunities of crime, all I can do is keep my eyes open. But what is the extent of what law enforcement can do to me, if a rap on my shoes is no longer applicable?

#139106 - 07/09/08 03:54 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Good ID, obey all laws, have a good story (the truth is always best), and you shouldn't have much of a problem...

Neat appearance, friendly demeanor would go a long way.
Look more like a "backpacker" than a homeless vagrant.

Maybe have a backup story of "walking to find a cure for sick honeybees" or something. And be sure to have a spotless police record because you can be sure that you'll be checked for wants/warrants.

The knife in your possession *could* be an issue.

(On previously mentioned motorcycle trip I actually ate lunch with a motorcycle cop. I was glad for the company. )

#139107 - 07/09/08 03:57 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: unimogbert]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Ok- Quick question on that subject... I've thought about the knives I'll be carrying... As long as it's properly concealed, it should not be a problem, right? I mean, with proper ID and no police record, they wouldn't be able to randomly search me, correct?

#139110 - 07/09/08 04:17 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Chaotiklown
Ok- Quick question on that subject... I've thought about the knives I'll be carrying... As long as it's properly concealed, it should not be a problem, right? I mean, with proper ID and no police record, they wouldn't be able to randomly search me, correct?

Officer can search your person "for his safety." That means he can frisk you for weapons before talking with you. Knife in your pack would require a warrant or probable cause. Knife on your belt--- could be an issue. (I'm not a lawyer. A lawyer would advise you to retain counsel in every jurisdiction you move thru - just to be sure.)

#139115 - 07/09/08 04:31 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: unimogbert]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Search the 'net for knife law sites to review what you will encounter along your intended route.

You probably want to be legal. Probably that means no concealed weapons. You want to know what is considered a weapon. The laws and practices for carrying while hiking an established "wilderness" trail is almost certainly going to be different than walking down a street.

If you post a more detailed route here, you probably will get some detailed information.

Ain't America great!

#139122 - 07/09/08 04:52 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: dweste]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Haha, yes- America is great, and there's a lot of good points that have been brought up here... If moving through a town, I should definitely keep it in my pack, and simply avoid this "probable cause" for search. Sounds good everybody, thanks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.