Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#139043 - 07/09/08 03:21 AM Snares and Traps
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
I will be in the woods without a gun to hunt. Fishing is always and option, but I'd like to have information on trapping, and creating snares. any suggestions? I will be in the Blue Ridge Mountain Range.

#139054 - 07/09/08 04:23 AM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#139057 - 07/09/08 05:16 AM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Raspy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Without licenses and permits, trapping and snaring may well be illegal. Research the jurisdictions in which you intend to be active.

Don't forget that fish traps, like other snares and traps, may be much more resource efficient than rod and line fishing. Consider also methods of taking crawfish, frogs, and other perhaaps less traditional protein sources.

#139060 - 07/09/08 06:01 AM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: dweste]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Fantastic web sites, and the bit about the fish trap is interesting, hasn't occurred to me before.... I'll check it out

#139061 - 07/09/08 06:53 AM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California

#139080 - 07/09/08 01:37 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I can't tell from your post how much experience you have or how much you are going to practice your skills before you leave. So apologies if my advice is off base.

I've been making some of the traps in this book . In addition to the traps, it has a lot about dressing and cooking what you have caught. I also believe it has more traps than are listed on those websites. For example, it discusses bird nets. And "best practices" for building the traps, like "use native materials from the area you are in" and "cover certain parts with mud so the critters will be less suspicious", suggested placement of the traps, and other concepts. I would buy this book and carry it with you for a while, reading and re-reading it when you have downtime until your trip arrives.

If you haven't guessed, that's what I'm doing in addition to practicing some of the mechanics in a controlled environment.

The book is no secret. I'm sure many people on this forum probably own it. But based on your reaction to those websites I am guessing you don't own a copy yet. And some simple schematics of traps may not be enough to ensure you are successful.

Most of the same traps that are in the book are on those websites but the book could be more "handy" for reasons you can guess. And of course its filled with a LOT of other information relevant to living out in the bush.

I would enjoy the kind of venture you have planned. Hope you come home with some good experiences.

#139089 - 07/09/08 02:07 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...trapping and snaring may well be illegal..."

You bet. Also, in many locations a gill net will get you in deep deep doodoo with the fishcops asap. And fishcops do not have a sense of humor...

#139092 - 07/09/08 02:40 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

It saddens me that you guys are right about that... Trapping, snaring, and netting is illegal in many areas... Open land should be free to move about, it belongs to nature, not people. However, I will be moving throughout many parts of the country over the course of the time I'm gone, not just in the Wilderness. I know I'll catch some flak from Authorities, and they might as well KM*. As deep in the woods as I'll be initially, if someone in a helicopter noticed me and they wanted me, I'd say they earned it if they actually got me:-)

#139095 - 07/09/08 03:04 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Chaotiklown]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Don't forget trapping isn't a good way to gather food while on the move. You need to set a lot of traps (this takes time) and hope one catches something. Then before moving on you had better dismantle/trigger the traps. To not do so is a gross violation of nature's resources.

Fishing on the other hand will likely be more productive if you know what you are doing. Traps for fish, minnows, and crayfish are easy to make from natural materials or even trash. Minnows are good because you can eat the whole thing, nothing is wasted.

Another easy to catch, energy rich, plentiful, and suprisingly tastey food source are bugs...

I think we'd all really like to know how much wilderness experience/practice you have.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#139096 - 07/09/08 03:09 PM Re: Snares and Traps [Re: Blast]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

I have a bit of practice being in the woods alone- However, all the times I have camped or hiked before, I've carried enough provisions to last the duration of the trip. I've also always been within range of help, should I have needed it. This time I will be entirely on my own. I'm setting out, taking what knowledge and tools that I deem necessary for the trip, and will depend primarily on the thing that has kept humans alive this long- The ability to adapt.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.