Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#138567 - 07/03/08 04:31 PM Bear vs. Les...
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
While I classify in the same category as my Pez multi-function survival tool, has anybody picked up a copy of Bear Grylls’ Man vs. Wild coffee table survival guide? I picked up the same book last year while working in the Middle East, but it was titled Bear Grylls Born Survivor.

Much more anticipated is getting the second season of Les Stroud’s Survivor Man on DVD.

#138573 - 07/03/08 04:50 PM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Nah ... I'd rather spend me money on more useful stuff than that. Bear Grylis never caught my attention.

For example, I just purchased a Cooke Custom Sewing Tundra Tarp - gets VERY good press from the Boundary Waters crowd. I'm excited about getting a chance to use it.

#138608 - 07/03/08 11:13 PM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: KenK]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Is it written like a story or a how-to?

#138634 - 07/04/08 06:13 AM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: Todd W]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm still trying to carve my bushcraft teacup with my Mora. When thats done I'll carve a coffeetable and consider adorning it with the Adam Sandler of survival.

#138687 - 07/04/08 08:16 PM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: KenK]
red Offline

The title should be: "How to look like I'm doing survival stuff when I have safety gear hidden to help me climb this tree and float in this icy water that is going to cause me to go into hypothermia...but we won't film the hypothermia part."

Sorry, but Bear's show is good for a laugh, not much else.

#138712 - 07/05/08 03:59 AM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: red]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I think you would be better off reading the Amazon reviews (if any). As someone who has watched both series, I have to agree with the other posters.

However, my wife does like him, she thinks he's cute and that Les complains too much. Which gives you an idea of the type of people who might buy Bear's book.

#138726 - 07/05/08 12:48 PM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I respect Les and look forward to any episode of Survivorman (even reruns I've seen umpteen times.

I watch Bear mostly with the mute on because the scenery's gorgeous, though I have watched Bear with my daughter to point out what not to do.....

She can watch him and point out all the stupid stuff he does just for drama "look daddy, he's jumping from rock to rock and begging for a broken ankle, I would never do that..."

When we're hiking she even refers to doing something risky as "pulling a Bear".

I'm so proud of my child... smirk

#138797 - 07/06/08 03:56 PM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: samhain]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: samhain

When we're hiking she even refers to doing something risky as "pulling a Bear".

I'm so proud of my child... smirk

You should be proud, sounds like a smart kid you got there.

#138874 - 07/07/08 02:01 PM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
All,

This is a tongue in cheek post about Bear’s book. His show is more like Fear Factor than a legitimate show about getting along in the wilds. Heaven help me if I ever get to the point where I bite the head off a snake for a snack, coiling the left over’s and stuffing them in my pocket for later or squeezing the water (?) out of elephant poo for a drink. Les is much more practical with emphasis on shelter and fire building. At, if not most of, the time it seams to be a waist of energy (calories) gathering food with a net los. Shelter, water, and fire are my trinity for survival.

Edited by WILD_WEASEL (07/07/08 02:02 PM)

#138876 - 07/07/08 02:48 PM Re: Bear vs. Les... [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I kind of think both Bear and Les have things that are worthwhile learning, although Les is clearly the guy to follow. Bear is more like watching a guy on an adventure.

I could see myself trying to do many of the things Les attempts, and seeking to avoid things Bear does. I saw a recent show with Bear trying to take a raft across a lake or river with freezing water. It was just a plain old dumb move. His rafter was too flimsy, it couldn't keep him from just being flat out wet, and there was no way he was ever getting across before hypothermia had it's way with him. I'm not drinking water from elephant dung, at least I don't see myself doing it. However, if it was there and I was thirsty, it's still nice to know it could be done. I hope I'd emulate Les more than Bear, but each has some information of value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.