Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#138695 - 07/05/08 12:57 AM gas storage
Duke Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Harlan KY
Hi, folks,

I did a search first but didn't find what I what I was looking for so if this is redundant I apologize. Given the high price of gasoline and my concern that it might even go exceedingly higher if not even become unavailable at times I have been buying 5 gallon metal tanks. Any advice or caveats? I intend to keep 50-100 gallons on hand and rotate it by using it in vehicles as opposed to just storing it for months on end. I don't have an outbuilding though. I would have to keep it in an expansive well ventilated garage if I did it. Thanks for your advice. Duke

#138697 - 07/05/08 01:21 AM Re: gas storage [Re: Duke]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
With the price of fuel, I would not let it me known to your neighbors & friends you are doing this. 100 gallons is $450.00 and everyone can use it. While you may trust your neighbors, people will talk. Mom & Dad talk about it, the kids hear it, their friends then can find out, the friend of a friend finds out and fairly soon 30 or 40 people know you have $450.00 worth of fuel for the taking. It would also be a good idea to not make it easy to see when looking into the garage. Don’t let yourself be seen carrying lots of gas cans into the garage, not only does it allow less then honest people to find out, it can also get reported that you are storing lots of dangerous fuel. This can make people nervous and they may call the police.

As a person that likes to be prepared, we should somewhat keep what we do from those around us.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#138701 - 07/05/08 02:38 AM Re: gas storage [Re: BobS]
RavenLunatic Offline
Stranger

Loc: WA
You might want to check your local laws about how much you can legally store.

I have been a boater for years, and boaters tend to let their vessels sit for long periods of time without use. Fuel degradation is a problem. After trying several methods over the years, I have found two products that are effective at treating fuel.

Neither are cheap.

Both are available at marine supply stores.

Pri-G

SeaFoam

I have used fuel that I have stored at home, in sealed metal containers, that were treated with Pri-G, three years after pumping. It had not degraded. Pri-G can also restore stored fuel that has not been treated (at least that's what I've heard.)

I have used SeaFoam only in boats (not in my home storage fuel), but did have fuel treated with it in storage for nearly two years, and the vessel ran fine. SeaFoam also cleans the carb, and has a multitude of other uses, too.

#138702 - 07/05/08 02:40 AM Re: gas storage [Re: Duke]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Storing 50-100 gallons of gasoline in anything other than a tank specifically designed for that purpose is insane, dangerous, and in most places illegal. 5 Gallon metal tanks are intended for the temporary storage of fuels, and even with a rotation plan, you'll be storing a lot of fuel in a garage, a practice that represents a serious risk of fire and explosion. 5 Gallon tanks do not have the best vapor seals, they can and do leak fumes. Tanks designed to store gasoline are not cheap, for a reason. What's more, if you intend to use 100 gallons as a hedge against inflation, that's hardly going to be worth the effort. I've worked garage fires, it's bad enough with all the other stuff in there, throw in 100 gallons of gasoline and you've just made a bad problem much worse. Large gasoline tanks are underground or outdoors for a good reason - to prevent really bad fires.

The economics of a 100 gallon futures market are also questionable.
If you buy fuel at $4.25 a gallon, and you need 20 gallons a week, you're still going to be paying $4.25 a gallon, and then $4.75 and then $5.00 and so on to replenish your supply as you use it. You're not avoiding any expenses, you're just delaying them a week or so. Serious futures markets are contracts to purchase at a set price at a point in the future.

If you intend to store fuel for a while, for emergency use, the standard method is the metal 55 gallon drum: http://www.valumotion.com/index.php/cPath/700_4442_790_8949
You'll need to stabilize the fuel, a simple additive you can buy almost anywhere they sell gas-powered tools. You'll also need a gasoline rated pump to get the fuel out of the drums.
Finally, you'll need a way to FILL the drums in the first place, and handle them full. You can go back and forth with 5 gallon jugs to your drums. You'll need to be careful of static electricity when filling with 5 gallon cans.
Or, you can get a truck with a liftgate and fill the drums up at a gas station that is willing to look the other way while you fill them up (55 gallon drums would be considered an "unapproved" container in most places, and thus illegal to fill).
All in all, gas storage is tricky.

#138709 - 07/05/08 03:49 AM Re: gas storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I understand that you are asking about the best way to store gas. And I agree with martinfocazio that you should only use rated storage containers.

However, I think that the risk/benefit ratio of the concept is undesirable.

I think a wiser course would be to consider hypermiling (change your driving) and make some vehicle mods as shown on ecomodder.com (change your car's gas mileage). Some things you can do once and save from again and again. I'm starting down that path myself, with my V8 Chevy.

If you had said that you wanted to store gas for a long time as part of a survival or bugging in plan then thats a different story, but, thats not what you were asking about.

#138723 - 07/05/08 10:51 AM Re: gas storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
Duke Offline
Journeyman

Good points. I should say my intention was less an inflation hedge as a "can't get it at all" hedge. Or at least in fits and spurts. I expect someone to attack Iran with a subsequent Hormuz supply disruption. So I don't want to be high and dry but don't want to blow myself up, either. This isn't anything I really want to do.

#138727 - 07/05/08 12:55 PM Re: gas storage [Re: Duke]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'll add my $0.02.

I store up to 40 gals of gas (increasing to 50 gals) and I add 2oz of Stabil for each 5gal can. I keep all of my fuel in a tin shed (store bought, assembled from a kit) that doesn't have any electrical power.

I'm storing sufficient gas to run my generator for 80 hrs (5 gals = 8 hrs running time) or to provide 1 refill for each of my vehicles (van req's 30 gals & the truck req's 20 gals) which would allow me to make it to my mountainous deep shelter and friends.

1) Is your garage attached to your home?
2) Do you have a gas or electric hot water heater and/or clothes dryer?

IMO, a "yes" answer to either one of those questions spells a very large, nasty, explosion in your future.

IMO, explosive mixtures (such as gas) should be stored away from the house within a ventilated structure that has no electrical or natural/propane gas service/appliances.

IMO, storing gas as an inflation hedge is not worth the risk for the small amount of fuel that you/we are discussing. Storing that amount of gas as part of a Bug-In or Bug-Out Plan makes sense, particularly if you balance the amount of fuel on hand against the known or perceived threat for your location and time of the year.

I reduce my gas storage during the months of Dec - May; increase my stocks from Jun - Dec. This provides the highest level of preparation for hurricane season while minimizing my "risk factors" during those time that I don't actually have a need for that larger amount of fuel.

I currently have 30 gals stored and will hit the 40 gal mark when I go home towards the end of the month. I'll hit my max amount of 50 gals just before the height of the hurricane season.
On Dec 1st, I'll pour my oldest 10 - 20 gals into my vehicles (Merry Christmas). I'll deplete another 10 gals in January, etc, etc. In May, I'll buy 10 more gals, another 10 - 20 gals in Jun, etc, etc.

#138728 - 07/05/08 01:00 PM Re: gas storage [Re: Duke]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
#1, don't do it.

#2, Don't Do It.

#3, DON'T DO IT.

But if you do, add Stabul, or another fuel stabilizer; think about plastic can instead of metal (I have had those rust inside, even when kept full); never flip a light switch, turn on a dryer, use an auto garage door opener; be sure to turn off the water heater, etc etc etc...

#138730 - 07/05/08 01:24 PM Re: gas storage [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Duke Offline
Journeyman

I'll have to say I've found the caveats persuasive. I still want to store some but I'm going to find another place to keep it, like the outbuilding mentioned. I have access to an empty barn on another location which would be inconvenient, but this is just a hedge anyway in case of supply disruption.

#138736 - 07/05/08 03:08 PM Re: gas storage [Re: Duke]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Your fire department, sheriff and insurance company won't like it.
You may be denied a claim if you have a fire. The fire department
may not try to save your house if they find out.

You can only store 20lbs of smokeless gun powder in one place in
a residence in most locals, and it is less flammable than gas.

Take your money and invest it in one of the energy companies
making record profits on the sale of gas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.