The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117812 - 12/28/07 02:25 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
We carry a small folding "hand cart" type in my truck. It gets used for all sorts of carrying. Not good for rough going, but wonderful on smooth surfaces. We can carry our BOB's, but they are heavy. We put both on the hand cart and are on our way. When needed, we can fold up the cart and carry it, and our BOB's without difficulty, but not for long distances. Getting on a bus or truck is no problem with it folded. Cost about $24 at Sams Club. Rated for 150 lbs.

I also have a heavy duty one with a capacity of 300 lbs, but it is heavy and even folded is a bit big to carry with our BOB's. I have carried my inboard (volvo marine) boat engine on that one.

The smaller one works just great for the BOB's.

#117815 - 12/28/07 02:45 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I agree, a cart with two large bicycle tires and maybe two hand holds you can stand between to pull it would be better for rough terrain. Something like a scaled down rickshaw.

We have a cart like the one shown that we use for carrying horse feed and trash cans. It's effective, but not something I'd want to pull for very far. One problem is it puts you into an uncomfortable posture to haul it. Another is that four tires like that provide two much resistance over even mildly rough terrain.

#117816 - 12/28/07 02:58 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Look @ the 2-wheeled carts used to haul dead deer out of the woods.

#117821 - 12/28/07 03:16 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: wildman800]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Friends of mine use homemade carts to access prime moose hunting areas on forest access roads that prohibit motorized travel. The carts use large bicycle wheels (I think doubled up for strength) and are pulled by 2 men over rough gravel roads. These fellows pull their entire camp (prospector tent, wood stove, food, etc) in 8 km and then also bring out a quartered bull moose when successful.

The trip is a lot of work but the reward is seeing lots of moose without having other people around.

Mike

#117828 - 12/28/07 04:01 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: SwampDonkey]
MichaelJ Offline

How about this one?
http://www.tipkemfg.com/foldit/
It can fit on to a bike or just be pushed by hand. Plus, it folds up when not in use.

#117835 - 12/28/07 05:19 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
I would consider for any of these options creating some sort of shoulder harness to pull it with. Wouldn't be too hard, and it would really change the dynamic of how you pull it. I'd rather walk forward uphill with something pulling on my back than have to turn around and pull something by hand(s).

I saw Les Stroud doing that on one of his shows. He was in the snow and pulling a sled (loaded with camera gear).

I still have my ALICE pack. I figure I could carry as much as is comfortable on my back, and use a cart to carry some extra. Small to moderate size obstacles could be overcome by emptying the cart and making multiple trips to get everything up and over.

The added burden involved in bringing all that extra stuff just might be worth it compared to the burden of not having it.

#117836 - 12/28/07 05:58 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I dunno, still seems to me it's two different concepts. Bug out Bag is really for when TSHTF situations. If you have time to prepare it, then you'd naturally want to pack all you could in the time allowed. When you've got no time and need to skeedaddle, the cart concept just seems to be counterproductive. I like the idea, it's the same premise I subscribe to for having well packed grub and gear boxes in the garage so that in 5 minutes or less I can load up the rig with enough stuff for me and the wife to get by reasonably comfortably out in the boonies for a month if need be, It just isn't the same as a BOB event.

Maybe I am just splitting hairs. The bug-out concept can encompass more than just having to run for you life in 30 seconds to include extended provisioning and transport over more ideal terrain than having to jump burning debris piles, ford streams, evade threats, and such. I was always a bit more focused on the mobility side of things and taking care of the other business when time and conditions would allow. Not all bug-outs are that extreme I reckon.

#117838 - 12/28/07 06:13 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: benjammin]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: benjammin
If you have time to prepare it, then you'd naturally want to pack all you could in the time allowed. When you've got no time and need to skeedaddle, the cart concept just seems to be counterproductive.

The time to prepare is right now. When it's time to go, all I would have to do is grab the handle and pull. If someone is firing an RPG at me, I can always let go of the handle and run.

#117840 - 12/28/07 06:47 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I would think anywhere you'd be likely to be pulling a cart to, you'd be better able to get there (carrying even more stuff) using a 4x4 truck. Your truck would eventually run out of gas, but not before you'd already made it further than you could drag a cart in a month or two of walking. The exception might those situations where your see refugees trying to evacuate their country for the borders of another, across a relatively flat desert or similar terrain.

I'd say for the typical urban dweller, a backpack for no-advance-notice evacs, and a 4x4 truck for when you have more time would beat a hand-pulled cart any day. If you really want to be prepared, have a fully stocked trailer ready to be pulled by your truck. Possibly even stored away from your home, along your planned evac route somewhere.

#117842 - 12/28/07 06:54 PM Re: Bug Out... Cart? [Re: haertig]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: haertig
I would think anywhere you'd be likely to be pulling a cart to, you'd be better able to get there (carrying even more stuff) using a 4x4 truck.

Not in a forest. A cart can fit through the gaps between trees that are too narrow for a truck. Also, a cart can be lifted over obstacles such as a fallen tree or large rock. And a cart can be lowered by rope down a cliff.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.