Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#138654 - 07/04/08 01:32 PM I Spy From My Perch...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have now covered more than 200 miles of the Illinois River and looking out from a 35ft high "perch" (the Pilothouse), I have come to the conclusion that these "Yanks" up here are entirely too tidy.

I have seen 3 milk crates and driftwood. There are a few wires running out from the shoreline at the fleets that a use could be found for, there are plenty of growing vines, multi-sized trees for shelter making, but I am not seeing any 5 gal buckets, boards, PVC piping, etc that seem to line the waterways down south.

Very Interesting,,,,,could it be that the "Yanks" don't intentionally crap in their own nest????

I'll let y'all know what comes out from under the trees, if anything, as the river levels go down.

#138656 - 07/04/08 01:44 PM Re: I Spy From My Perch... [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have always wondered, is the majority of the stuff normally found along a shoreline junk from the folks onshore, or flotsam/jetsam from those afloat? My guess is that it comes from the boats...

#138659 - 07/04/08 02:08 PM Re: I Spy From My Perch... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Or all the crap upstream floats and logjams farther down?

#138661 - 07/04/08 02:23 PM Re: I Spy From My Perch... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey OBG,

I spend a lot of time on the water in my area and I would say that most of the stuff I find comes from the shore. What I find in the spring of the year is parts of (sometimes whole) docks that are damaged/displaced by ice movement. In popular ice fishing areas wooden blocking is used to support the ice fishing huts above the lake slush, this blocking usually becomes frozen in the ice and is often abandoned to float around the lake in the spring.

We have had a huge amount of rain this spring so the water is high (especially in dam controlled lakes) and there is an abundance of floaters in the waterways, making for lots of hazards.

Mike

#139314 - 07/10/08 05:06 PM Re: I Spy From My Perch... [Re: SwampDonkey]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Here in NYC, the storm drains still empty directly into the harbor. Lots of junk in the water after a good rainstorm.

I agree with M Dinana that a lot of the stuff down south started up north and just floated downstream.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you OBG, most of the boaters I know realize that what they throw overboard could come back to haunt them. Poking holes in the hull, clogging cooling intake or fouling a prop. So, I'm blamin' it all on you landlubbers. smile

#139317 - 07/10/08 05:24 PM Re: I Spy From My Perch... [Re: DesertFox]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: DesertFox
I will have to respectfully disagree with you OBG, most of the boaters I know realize that what they throw overboard could come back to haunt them. Poking holes in the hull, clogging cooling intake or fouling a prop. So, I'm blamin' it all on you landlubbers. smile

DesertFox is right about this. All the boaters I've ever known either took their trash ashore or made sure that what went over the side sank stright to the bottom. I've seen plenty of boaters toss beercans over, but not a one that was not ripped open like an empty banana peel. I'd note that almost all of those who I saw do this did so because the local authorities did not apporve of them drinking at all, in part because they were under 21. Boaters take floating trash back ashore with them.

#139430 - 07/11/08 02:05 PM Re: I Spy From My Perch... [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I would say that most of the stuff I find comes from the shore..."

No real surprise. I have limited water experience, when I was a kid an uncle had a place on the central coast of CA, I used to go down to the rocks (no beaches there) and see lots of 55 gallon drums and other goodies that I was/am sure came in on the tide. But that was lot ago...

#139448 - 07/11/08 04:47 PM Re: I Spy From My Perch... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A few decades ago a study was conducted to measure the decreased depositional flow of Mississippi sediment in the delta. A archaeologist came up with a novel methodology of examining aluminum cans in the sediment, the ever evolving church key, pull tab, bubble punch etc being a perfect marker with known dates of market introduction.

#139490 - 07/12/08 09:53 AM Re: I Spy From My Perch... [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

I like to snorkel and rest assured northern ponds and lakes are a veritable submerged trash heap in places.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.