Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#139031 - 07/09/08 02:56 AM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: Susan]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
I do not believe that the problem with Politicians is the fact that they do not pass laws for the benefit of the people. At least, not all of them, that is... If you're rich, or make them a lot of money somehow it's different. Most laws are only to support the system that they have set up. Take Marijuana for example. It's most definitely not nearly as damaging as cigarettes or alcohol, yet it is still illegal. Reasons being, they can't make money off it being legal, at least not nearly as much as when it's illegal. Think about it: How much money goes into the justice system when a person gets caught with a little bit of weed? Upwards to a grand in most cases, for the first offense! They could never make up for that if they made it legal.... When someone gets busted for drunk driving, how much do they end up paying? Ridiculous costs add up, from initial fines, to getting the license back. It's all money- If they started making laws for the betterment of mankind, things might be different. But as long as the government is kissing the asses of big corporations, things will never change.

#139033 - 07/09/08 02:58 AM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Once again, Sue hits the nail right on the head...

#139034 - 07/09/08 02:59 AM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: Chaotiklown]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Dang, my apologies moderators... Type was flowing out of me, I cursed there at the end. Won't happen again:-)

#139035 - 07/09/08 03:02 AM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: Chaotiklown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...How much money goes into the justice system when a person gets caught with a little bit of weed? Upwards to a grand in most cases, for the first offense!..."

I suspect that if you figure in the arresting officers time, the court officers time, the various folks in the DA's office time, the judge/court reporter/bailiff/various clerks time, "upwards of a grand" won't come close to covering it. The justice system does not make money, period...

#139105 - 07/09/08 03:53 PM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

True enough- however the system is sustained AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE by strategically making certain things illegal, regardless of moralities, or what's "better" for people in general.... And lets not forget that the people that are employed to handle these things deal with more than one case at a time....

#139388 - 07/11/08 01:29 AM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: JohnE]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
But you miss my point.

A predator, be they psychopathic or simply a big griz, will not likely prey on other predators that have a good or better chance of eating them instead.

Given the choice, I am sure most psycho-sociopaths would prefer not to tangle with those perhaps seeming more depraved than themselves, unless they have a truly self-destructive desire, which seems counter-productive.

That is the image, however subtle, I intend to convey. When considering me as a target I would prefer they consider that I might enjoy doing to them a bit more than they might to me, and maybe with a bit more facility than they have.

Law enforcement is not the deterrent I had in mind. It's not about steps or getting caught, it is about conveying the perception that they are about to enter a trap, a lot more trouble than it'd be worth to pursue.

#139409 - 07/11/08 05:41 AM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: benjammin]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
You've got an interesting point benjammin. I hope you never have to convince a psychopath that you're a bigger predator...;^)

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#139438 - 07/11/08 03:16 PM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: JohnE]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Or a bigger psychopath that you're a predator.

Edited by dweste (07/11/08 03:17 PM)

#139494 - 07/12/08 11:52 AM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: benjammin]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: benjammin
1. Why is it killers always manage to screw up a good thing and leave behind some trace that inevitably gets them caught?
There are lots of killers who haven't been caught. If they don't have a pattern, their murders may not even have been linked.

In addition, I think many criminals are stupid. Often they are criminal because they are stupid. Hannibal Lecture types are rare, except in fiction.

Quote:
If you are going to take such a huge risk as to start killing people, you would think these folks would take more time, think things through a bit more, and come up with a more foolproof plan.
Whenever I've gone down that path, I've concluded that the only real foolproof plan is not to commit the crime.

Quote:
2. After thousands and thousands of years of civilized life, you would think at least one society would figure out that if the average citizen is able to properly defend themselves, then the risk of violent crime would be greatly diminished.
I think the trend is in the opposite direction. Most societies figure out that there is less violent crime, and fewer long-running violent family feuds, if disputes are mediated by an impartial law instead of personal retribution.

This is currently reversing in the UK. Lots of teenagers are scared of knife crime, so they carry knives themselves, and that leads to more knife crime. Minor disputes get out of hand, and what would have been a fist-fight with no long-term harm because a knife-fight with victims maimed for life. The publicity from such events creates more fear, creating a vicious cycle. It's escalated over the last 5 or 10 years. Thankfully in the UK guns are still rare and hard to get hold of (compared to knives) so it can't escalate in that direction.

#139614 - 07/14/08 05:17 PM Re: Is this the right reaction or an example of pa [Re: Brangdon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Your example does tend to prove a point, that being that even when a certain class of weapons are prohibited, people will still seek out some sort of advantage by arming themselves with whatever is available and proven effective rather than do without. The Brits may very well be once again reduced to sticks and stones, but they will always resort to possessing something more than fists and feet, until that is all they have left.

But more to the point, I don't think anyone can rationally argue that self-defense is akin to retribution. Pre-empting or at least preventing criminal activity by the use, or even implied use, of force is not the same as hunting down an enemy with intent. Likewise, I'd say you would be hard put to find evidence supporting the argument that violent crime is abated simply by restricting access to certain classes of weapons. In fact, here in the US, we have a rather robust body of evidence that would lead one to conclude just the opposite is true. There may be cases where violent crime diminished in a given geographic or social area, but I think the true incentive fomenting such a reduction would likely be the result of other factors, with restrictions on weapons possession being more of a consequence than a cause.

From a survival perspective, I would say it only makes good sense, then, to be properly equipped with a suitable means of defending yourself, or at least being able to reliably sell prospective opponents that such is likely the case.

On your other points, I will agree for the most part. However, it seems many more criminals than you might expect encounter what I can only conclude is a Karmic calibrating event having virtually nothing to do with their apparent intelligence, or lack there of, thus supporting the contrapositive argument to an old cliche, wherein it may be better to be below average than unfortunate!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.