Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#137404 - 06/24/08 11:52 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
That's probably it. The number in the triangle indicates how often you should reuse the container. Lots of high dollar water jugs have really lousy numbers. Which it probably the reason that Nalgene has dropped their line of polycarb bottles, they had a bad number. Bad number equals more of the methalethalbadstuff you get if you use them too much...

Not true. The number is a Resin Identification Code...basically what type of plastic it is so that recycling centers know how to sort it. Different polymers need to be recycled in different ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Ironically the infamous '7' is the 'other' category and contains many plastics which don't contain the controversial Bisphenol A...which has yet to be proven as harmful.

Changing the subject slightly back on course these look almost exactly like the Source liquitainers I like only the Source ones have a bottle top like a bottle of water instead of a zipper.

#137410 - 06/24/08 12:17 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's probably it. The number in the triangle indicates how often you should reuse the container. Lots of high dollar water jugs have really lousy numbers. Which it probably the reason that Nalgene has dropped their line of polycarb bottles, they had a bad number. . . .
Brrr, no credit. The number is supposedly a code for recycling with some numbers good and some not-so-good for recycling. High Density Polyethylene "2" is supposedly food grade plastic (Tupperware, et al). These can be reused many more times than the number indicates.

Polycarbonate gets a "7" (All other resins and multi-materials). I'm not sure there is a problem with polycarbonate bottles (such as the now retired Nalgene bottles) as long as you only fill them with cold water. I still use mine, but all I ever used them for was cold water. Because of that I never use anything stronger than mild dish soap to clean them. One issue in some of the tests was the use of sodium hypochlorite bleach to clean polycarbonate which allowed the release of bisphenol-A. Cold water, no chemicals, no problem IMO.

That said, the only material commonly found in camping bottles/cookware I fully trust is titanium -- non-reactive with just about anything. Even some stainless steel is known to leach into liquid (that metallic taste you're familiar with).

#137411 - 06/24/08 12:46 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: Russ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am just going on what we saw one night on one of the network news shows (Dateline NBC or something), they said that you should never re-use any plastics with a number 1,6 or 7...

#137415 - 06/24/08 01:02 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Oooo... I like... I do have my Platy bags, but they are a pain to deal with the closure when I want to pack something flat.

This may be a very good alternative!

#137425 - 06/24/08 01:58 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
one of the network news shows (Dateline NBC or something)

There was your mistake.

I was blown away by the Nalgene brand polycarbonate GI canteen. I was on the verge of giving up my old beloved canteens in exchange for classic Nalgene bottles because they can accept boiling water. How long have they been around?

No mention of shipping charges on the site - has anybody ordered from them?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#137433 - 06/24/08 02:35 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: thseng]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: thseng
No mention of shipping charges on the site - has anybody ordered from them?

I went ahead and placed an order for some of the bags and a few other items. I don't remember where I read it on the site (maybe it was their store link/shopping cart page) but their shipping policy is to charge the actual USPS rate plus a $1.50 handling fee. Not too bad.

I'll test out the bags and post my findings & pics.

#137443 - 06/24/08 03:33 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I am just going on what we saw one night on one of the network news shows (Dateline NBC or something), they said that you should never re-use any plastics with a number 1,6 or 7...

Tupperware is also #7. Do you throw those out after each use?

It's all hype people. Until there's real science, don't trust the media!

There is some science behind some of the risks of using plastic. Wikipedia references a couple:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastics#Negative_health_effects

#137448 - 06/24/08 03:54 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I thought Tupperware was a "2". Yep, falls under high density polyethylene.

#137449 - 06/24/08 04:07 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: Russ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
The site seems to be a decent one-stop-shopping place for many of our favorite survival items. The also carry the survival speedhooks and a few other nice items.

#137476 - 06/24/08 06:01 PM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: Russ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Russ
I thought Tupperware was a "2". Yep, falls under high density polyethylene.

Damn! Now I have to figure out which it really is so I can log in and correct it! wink

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.