Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#138321 - 07/01/08 11:12 AM nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ?
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
? for yall i live about 3 1/2 hours down river from nuc plant .ok if there was a explosion there what could i do? how could i protect mine ?

#138322 - 07/01/08 11:29 AM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: mountainboy]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well depends on the nuclear powerplant. First off most western build nuclear reactors has a containment building. This the the reinforced concrete dome over the reactor, which is designed to contain a blast from inside and will also protect from outside dangers. Such a containment building, will prevent radiation particles from being being released in the air. Such a structure would have significanty reduced the impact of the chernobyl incident.

That and all the other safety meassures should make a nuke plant extremly safe. You shouldn't worry about that too much.

Meassure to be safe is checking the wind directions and move if something did wend wrong.

#138327 - 07/01/08 12:24 PM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: mountainboy]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
"blast?" No.

US nuclear powerplants aren't nuclear bombs and can't be made to produce a nuclear explosion.

They ARE high pressure steam systems and can have steam explosions in worst case scenarios but they are mostly radioactive contamination issues of very small magnitude and low probability of contamination getting very far outside the plant.

You should have a bug out kit setup for the family in the event of an evacuation needed for a radiation release (or river flooding or other natural disaster) but you should understand that your drunk-driving fellow road user is a much bigger hazard to you on a recurring basis than the plant.

3.5 hrs is way too far away to worry about the plant. Even if you are directly downwind.

I wish I had a nuclear powerplant in my backyard. Then I could work there and have a shorter commute!

#138333 - 07/01/08 01:18 PM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: unimogbert]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Have no worries, as others have mentioned modern safty requirements are extremely strict and nuclear plants are very closely monitored.

The basic design safety policy of a nuclear plant runs to 3,625 pages (Yes I've read them). This doc covers every aspect of plant design with virtually every contingency covered, upto and including aircraft penetration of the reactor building dome.

Like someone said you've got more to fear crossing the street, than the plant 3,5 hours away.

I have a second home which is only 5km from a site with two reactors. doesn't both me. Infact one of the nice features about the plant is one of the heat exchangers is used to heat a tropical sanctuary. Plants need to dump a huge amount of heat, best if it serves a purpose.

Edited by Stokie (07/01/08 01:22 PM)

#138353 - 07/01/08 03:20 PM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: Stokie]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
You are at a distance from the nuke plant. NYC is within 35 miles from a nuke plant, but I worry more about something coming from an intentional release than an accidental one from the plant.

The worst nuclear accident in a U.S. power platn resulted in few if any deaths. The accident at Chernobyl has been estimated to maybe be the eventual cause of 4,000 deaths. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2005/sep/06/energy.ukraine

I'm also sure you can find these numbers disputed with allegations of cancer outbreaks, but all the same the numbers are not tremendous considering the amount of people that live closer to these plants than you live to the plant in Oak Ridge.

If you want to prepare for an NBC incident, there is nothing wrong with that, but for it, you need to have safe cloths, masks for breathing, and a safe room with a well-filtered source of air, as well as food and water to last a while.

#138382 - 07/01/08 09:14 PM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: Dan_McI]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
I lived there for aprox 6 months dad was on leave from BYU doing research at oak ridge national lab cool place for a 5th grader I guess.

Had no worries
Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#138393 - 07/02/08 12:55 AM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: leemann]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’m about 20 min from Davis Bessie (sp?) nuke plant just east of Toledo. I use to work there, I did security work there, that job sucked more then any other job I ever had. Sitting around for 8 hours a day makes for a miserable, long day.

I have no worries about it at all. Three Mile Island is toted by the anti-nuke people as a failure. But really it’s a success, there was an accident and it was contained, like an airbag that deployed in an auto accident Three Mile Island’s safety features worked.

Now if I lived close to a Russian nuke plant, I’d be plenty worried.

Edited by BobS (07/02/08 01:01 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#138422 - 07/02/08 07:23 AM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: BobS]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
BobS,

I agree, if it was a russian plant, the old gas variety, then I'd be plenty worried.

But there are plans for the Russians to upgrade and or decommission many of these older reactors, those that will be upgarded will be either the American Westinghose AP1000, or the European EPR 1700. Either one are extremely well thought out and are built on the collective experiences of previous generations of reactors.

The next generation (IVth) of reactors many well be experiments in untried technology, the safe guards will be considerable but there is always an element of the unknown with such experiments. Watch this space in 2017.

#138428 - 07/02/08 10:16 AM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: Stokie]
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
thanks yall >1 more ? recon that would be a high threat area for terrison?i also have a reactor 5 mi from me .but its not active.

#138443 - 07/02/08 01:14 PM Re: nucular plant in oak ridge tn. ? [Re: mountainboy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If the reactor is not active, then it is not likely to have any explosion. If there really were a nuclear explosion, like a bomdb, whoever is close to it is pretty much screwed. The further you get from it, the better off you are.

If there is a nuclear blast, the first thing you'd want to do is shield yourself, but you better be able to do it immediately, because things move fast. If you cannot do it right now, then just get down and stay down. With a nuclear blast, you can expect to waves of pressure, one out and one back in, so let them pass over you.

After that occurs or in case of release, you want three things: distance, shielding and washing. The more distance between you and a source of radiation, the better. So, if you are close, you may want to just grab your BOB (bug out bag) and get out of there. The problem there is that you might be taking radiation with you, that's where the washing comes in. You need to wash it off, and just dump anything that might have radiation on it. Shielding of course is a barrier between you and the radiation, that keeps it off of you. It would be good to have a mask that filtered particles, but that also means the mask would be collecting particles in the filter. It would be good to have a suit that covered everything. These things need to get dumped and/or washed.

Additionally, you could try to make a safe room, and let clean up happen while you stay in it. It's very often a better idea to bug-in and not bug out. Those bugging out might to be taking radiation with them. If you want to have a safe room, then you want it to be as sturdy as possible, think fall out shelter, and you also want it to have a filtered air supply. That means you need a fan and power for that fan to draw air through a filter, push it into the room, and then let the air leak out of the room, keeping other unfiltered air from entering the space. You'd also need to have that room stocked with food, water, something to use for hygeine, etc. You might want to also do this in case of pandemic.

Look at the articles here for some more thoughts on this: http://www.alpharubicon.com/basicnbc/basicnbc.htm

Finally, I see you are new this week. Welcome and stick around.

Edited by Dan_McI (07/02/08 01:15 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.