The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#138334 - 07/01/08 01:23 PM Scan and save your photographs
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Many of us probably have pictures of ourselves, our loved ones and other things we care about in our homes. It's one of the things that makes your home a home.

Many of us also probably have pictures on harddrives, CDs, as well as other discs and types of memory.

In many cases, your home may be the only place that some of these photographs exist, whether in print or as files. The simple questions is why?

If disaster were to strike, what would happen to the photographs you care about? You might be like my mother who wishes she had more from her childhood, when many of her pictures were destroyed in a flood. With a few steps, that most of us can probably do, you can save copies of your photographs as files, scan them onto discs, and have someone who lives at some distance from you keep a copy of the disc for safekeeping. Convince them to do the same, and if anything ever happens, one of the things you can do to create a new home is print new copies.

Some of the photographs I have I consider priceless. One I love is stuck to the frame, but I am lucky to know my sister also has a copy. There is one that is the only that exists of me with my grandmother. If preserving a copy is so simple as getting it onto a DVD disc and making a copy of that disc, it's an effort of some time and a few dollars.

While your at it, why not reduce some of your vitals records to a digital format and put it on the same disc.

Edited by Dan_McI (07/01/08 01:24 PM)

#138335 - 07/01/08 01:38 PM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Buy a Pro account at Flickr.com . Unlimited storage with the ability to upload several GB a month. Costs less than $10 a month.

#138338 - 07/01/08 01:55 PM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

But 50 DVDs costs $30 or less. I don't know that I could fill that kind of space.

Edited by Dan_McI (07/01/08 01:56 PM)

#138347 - 07/01/08 02:41 PM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Do both.

#138348 - 07/01/08 02:58 PM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dweste
Do both.

Both is better.

Mostly, just make sure you do something.

#138361 - 07/01/08 04:49 PM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: Dan_McI]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Don't forget... DVDs do and will degrade over time. Especially the writeable ones that everyone uses for backup.

External USB Hardrive storage is pretty reliable. The magnetic platters that they use are pretty robust. Even magnetic tape is pretty hardy.

Thumbdrives are prone to degrading. I think 10 years is where they max out.

Best solution, multiple backups. Backup to DVDs and USB drives. Keep copies stored someplace safe. Obviously "offsite" backups are the way to go.

#138363 - 07/01/08 04:57 PM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: Dan_McI]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Digital media is fragile.

All I can say on this subject is you can't be paranoid enough with your data - especially your photos.

If you DO decide to digitize, you MUST - must must must must - have a DAILY backup plan that you don't ever fail to do.

You need AT LEAST 3 separate physical devices to back up your data and you need to make sure one is NEVER left in your home.

Use an online backup service as a 4th place to keep your files. I use Google Picassa a lot.

Scanning is a pain in the butt, takes a long time. It's worth it.

We've been 100% digital since the late 1990's and we've experienced every single form of data problem you can - you need a constant backup program.

#138392 - 07/02/08 12:24 AM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also, if you have some pictures that you can't scan, you can get good solid tripods for digital cameras that will let you take a picture of the picture to make a scanned image of it.

Be careful with online storage, most don't have any sort of gaurentee that their backups are valid, I lost a lot of data a few years ago when hotmail tried to use windows servers, all I got was an e-mail saying they suffered a loss.

#138394 - 07/02/08 01:13 AM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: Eugene]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I don’t like the idea of on line storage, putting your photos under control of someone else far away that I don’t know does not sit well. If the company goes under, gets bought out by someone else or whatever reasons you could loose access to your data. Web sites disappear all the time and I would guess that a few of them were involved in archival storage.

Better to burn a CD or DVD and store it with a relative or friend. Not much chance both of your homes will burn down. External storage (CDs, DVDs, Flash Drives or removable hard drives) is too easy and inexpensive to not have.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#138395 - 07/02/08 01:41 AM Re: Scan and save your photographs [Re: BobS]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Online storage is the "last resort" - own your media, control your media, and have a plan "D" after that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.