Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#157972 - 12/11/08 03:32 PM Re: Review: Three Items from Cold Steel [Re: Did]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Didier, were the handles carved into a different shape? An oval profile like a pickaxe would cause a lot less hand fatigue when cutting. I am planning to carve a replacement handle as an experiment.

I have one of the CS sheaths, but it's not very convenient. After I cut up some kindling, for example, I need both hands to gather it up. I don't want to come back for the shovel. So I'd like a sheath on my thigh, just above the knee. This sounds like a good winter project.

Doug

#157977 - 12/11/08 04:06 PM Re: Review: Three Items from Cold Steel [Re: dougwalkabout]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Or, as an alternative, consider the Meyerco machete? I am still a bit enamoured with the one I bought, even with the warnings about serrations causing a weak spot on the spine. The smaller, thicker bladed machete would undoubtedly not be as fragile, yet still have all the other desirable features.

#158003 - 12/11/08 06:50 PM Re: Review: Three Items from Cold Steel [Re: benjammin]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What, and miss all the fun? I guess I enjoy optimizing a good piece of kit. I've been looking for something like the CS shovel for years. Digs, pries, cuts, and doesn't look like a weapon. I just need to reprofile the handle a bit.

I like machetes as well, and have several. A couple are junkers, at least for the conditions up here. The other two are marked USMC 1943 -- they have great steel, and they have the mass to deal with solid wood.

I like the look of those Meyercos, and the short-and-stout Ontarios as well.

#158009 - 12/11/08 07:06 PM Re: Review: Three Items from Cold Steel [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
What, and miss all the fun? I guess I enjoy optimizing a good piece of kit. I've been looking for something like the CS shovel for years. Digs, pries, cuts, and doesn't look like a weapon. I just need to reprofile the handle a bit.

I like machetes as well, and have several. A couple are junkers, at least for the conditions up here. The other two are marked USMC 1943 -- they have great steel, and they have the mass to deal with solid wood.

I like the look of those Meyercos, and the short-and-stout Ontarios as well.

You will probably find that the two marked USMC 1943 are Ontarios. Ontario is the only manufacturer of USGI machetes that I know of.

Take a look at the SP-8 if you like short and tough. I have had one for years and love it.

Edited by Desperado (12/11/08 07:06 PM)

RIP OBG

#158024 - 12/11/08 09:38 PM Re: Review: Three Items from Cold Steel [Re: dougwalkabout]
Did Offline
Stranger

Loc: France
Quote:
Didier, were the handles carved into a different shape?

No, only some sand paper and after several times : linen oil with turpentine on the wood handle (like a shotgun in europe). You will have a better grip.

I think that if you shape the handle it will be less versatile to dig or to cut. This tool is very simple, this is the great advantage : simple to use (with frozen hand, in the dark...) and to repair, truly a war tool.

Just shape with sand paper the part of the handle who is near the beginning of the "steel hole of the blade". When shovel come from CS you have a difference in diameter with the steel part and the wooden handle. Better to have a smooth frontier between wood and steel, so your hand could feel nice everywhere.

The end of the part of the handle inserted deeply in the steel blade could be slightly "flutted" : so it is easier to dig.

The sheath is used with a five feet rope (approximately). One side hold the sheath and with the other side of the rope you make a loop and you could catch the handle with it. So you could have your tool across your back and it is easy to use it.

A shovel on my thigh will not be very pleasant. Our shovel in army are like WWII US : the handle cling on your leg every time (noisy, hurt you...). Better to bring it on your rucksack or across your back with a rope.

Not sure to explain well in english. If you could not understand my english...ask me : I will try to do better.

didier.

Edited by Did (12/11/08 09:38 PM)

#158032 - 12/11/08 11:35 PM Re: Review: Three Items from Cold Steel [Re: yelp]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
I hope you enjoyed your stay in my country. "Salta la linda" is said to be our most beautiful province. I suppose the macheteros were harvesting sugar cane, right? In a hardware store you would say: "¿Tiene machetes Collins?" Get the 22 inches, they have the best balance.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.