Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#138164 - 06/30/08 02:26 AM Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

<sigh> here we go again. The last one in AZ burned almost half a million acres (when it joined up with another)

A signal fire started by a lost hiker Saturday night has erupted into a several hundred acre wildfire about a mile from the Crown King community north of the Valley, Yavapai County Sheriff's Office officials said.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/06/29/20080629crownking.html

As Smokie says, Please, only YOU can prevent forest fires.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#138167 - 06/30/08 03:41 AM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: Doug_Ritter]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
I'd say the person responsible for starting the fire should be required to pay for the damages. Including the people time and effort. and the cost of thier rescue.

#138169 - 06/30/08 04:03 AM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: katarin]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
When someone starts a stupid fire, and they lose control of it, they put the lives of good people in immediate danger. That is horrific, selfish, obscene; it raises my blood pressure off the chart. Shame! Idiot! Shame!

#138176 - 06/30/08 08:45 AM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: katarin]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I suspect this individual is going to discover that an investment in a PLB suddenly isn't going to look so expensive.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#138179 - 06/30/08 10:20 AM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Signal fire, hmmm? Great, one more thing we'll get blamed for.

Doug, as much as I squirm saying it, I'm leaning more to the PLB and GPS recommendation.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#138196 - 06/30/08 01:23 PM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: katarin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Only Bill Gates could afford to actually pay for fighting a monster fire, but the setter should have to pay. A lot. And lots of community service time...

#138232 - 06/30/08 04:13 PM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
"five hikers got lost and one of them left the group and started a signal fire"

In California right now we have over one thousand (1,000)primarily lightning-caused fires burning; the central Sacramento-San Joaquin Valley have been filled with unhealthy levels of particulate matter from smoke for days. So, starting a fire is not too popular around here.

In California, anyone found guilty of intentionally starting a fire like the one in AZ could be subject to civil fines and various criminal charges, but only after an investigation established the facts.

I agree with all the sentiments expressed so far, but also caution that we should not rush to a final judgment. Let's learn what all the facts are so we can learn whatever real lessons are presented beyond just the headlines of this story.

How about learning and then teaching fire safety, along with restoring the fire area, as community service?

#138238 - 06/30/08 05:01 PM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
IIRC the hunter who set the signal fire that eventually became the Cedar Fire in San Diego back in Oct 2003 got jail time.
Quote:
. . .The Cedar Fire was started by Sergio Martinez of West Covina, California, who claimed he was hunting in the area and had become lost. At first he claimed the fire was started accidentally by a gunshot but later said he started the fire to signal rescuers. Martinez was charged on October 7, 2004 in federal court with setting the fire and lying about it.[11] On March 10, 2005, Martinez pleaded guilty to deliberately setting fire to timber in the plea bargain under which the charge of lying to a federal officer was dropped. He faced up to five years in prison, but was instead sentenced to six months in minimum-security confinement, which allowed him to leave for work and other commitments, 960 hours of community service, and five years' probation. He was also ordered to pay $9,000 in restitution. . .

#138255 - 06/30/08 07:44 PM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: Russ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Are we talking about setting a brush fire to signal searchers or lighting a small, contained fire or perhaps 3 as I believe that's the preferred method of signaling for help?

Anyone who purposely sets a brush fire is an arsonist, someone who lights a controlled fire(s) to attract the attention of rescuers is a member of these forums...;^)

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#138260 - 06/30/08 08:19 PM Re: Once Again, a Signal Fire Out of Control [Re: JohnE]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I could see someone not knowing how to keep a contained, not pick or clear an area to prevent that spread of fire, etc. They probably do not belong where they ended up wanting to build a rescue fire.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.