Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#138165 - 06/30/08 02:48 AM Remembering My First Firearms Experience
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Hey, everyone. I was discussing a memorable experience I had in Boy Scouts (of America) with a friend about when I got to shoot my first firearm. I figured that you guys and gals might get some pearls of wisdom from it, too. If not, well then just take it as entertainment.

I was a member of a Boy Scout troop in Southern California. I had been a Scout for quite a while, advancing through the ranks of Cub Scouts and most of the way through Boy Scouts. I do not remember for sure whether I ended with the Star rank or Life Rank, but I believe it was the Life rank. (I seem to remember the “Eagle was next” feeling, and Life is just before Eagle.)

Sometime during my scouting career, our troop was at a camping trip outing at either Camp Helendade or Camp Emerson. (They both had lots of trees, dirt, and a few ponds, so I don’t remember which one it was specifically.) Our Scoutmasters gathered our group together at our camp area so that we could all hike to a camp activity that was going on. I do not know whether our Scoutmasters neglected to tell us what the activity was, or whether the Scouts in my particular area just couldn’t hear what they announced, but no one in my immediate area knew what activity they were walking to.

We hiked along the trail in a single file (relatively… teenagers) until we stopped in an area that proceeded downhill into a depressed clearing. At this point, all of us were stopped as if we were in a line for an amusement park ride, but with a much longer line, as all of the troops in the camp were attending the same activity. As we progressed toward the end of the line, which was not in sight due to the tree coverage, the sound of gunshots could be heard through the dull roar of everyone talking to one another. (Not scary gunshots… just the sound of random popping coming from nearby in the woods.) About the same time, the Scout grapevine had finally relayed the information that we were going to be shooting rifles at a range that was set up.

I had never fired a firearm before, and the first thought through my head was how p——sed my mother was going to be once she found out about this. She was not into firearms, to say the least. (Dad was in the Navy, so I doubt he would have minded.) However, I was excited that I would get to learn how firearms worked and be able to learn the basics of how to shoot. The excitement lasted throughout the whole time of being in line, especially due to the fact that you could not see the range through all the trees until you were practically part of the next group to shoot.

Finally, myself and most of the group I was talking to in line were called up as the next group to shoot. The Scoutmaster who was in charge of the range had us all take seats at our respective benches (spots, seats, cubicles… whatever terminology is appropriate here), and not touch the rifles until we were told. I took my place at the second bench from the left. We were then instructed that we each had five rounds to shoot at the paper targets 75 feet away, then given the go ahead to start shooting.

Now, at this point, I was rather baffled. As I said earlier, I had never shot a firearm before. Let alone shooting one, I really didn’t know squat about them other than load it… point it… pull trigger… bang. I was expecting some sort of safety briefing, since shooting firearms does bear some responsibility in doing. (Besides, not every teenage Boy Scout is a shining example of the 12 points of the Scout Law. To be perfectly honest, a couple of them in my troup were complete douchebags.) When none was given, I decided it might be in my best interest to raise my hand and ask. I was rewarded with the golden rule of firearms practice, “Try not to shoot anyone.”

Well thanks, Captain Obvious.

So here I was, part of a line of Scouts armed with a rifle — of which I had no idea what kind (Still don’t.) — and a tray with five “bullets” — which I have learned since are actually called “cartridges” of the .22 Long Rifle variety. I am now tasked with figuring out how to 1) put these d——ned little things into the rifle in a manner that doesn’t kill me or anyone around me and 2) put these d——ned little things into a 8½×11-inch piece of paper stuck on some hay bails 75 feet away… again without killing myself or anyone around me. (At this point, I’m thinking, “To hell with the bullseye. I’m happy with just paper.”)

Well, my “movie-based” training kicked in, and I recognized the handle sticking off the right side of where the round goes (now known as a “bolt action”). I flipped the handle up and pulled it back. I loaded my first round into the depressed area where it looked like it should go, and I closed the bolt up and locked it.

I then examined the top of the rifle since there is supposed to be some sort of sighting system on there that helps you aim the thing. Little metal thing at the front… check. (I don’t remember whether it was a “post” or a “bead”) Metal notch thing at the rear… check. I brought the wooden end (“stock”) of the rifle up to my shoulder and remembered something else my “movie-based” training taught me… Put the end of the rifle against your shoulder or else it will kick you. Ah, I felt smart… until several years later when I learned that a .22 LR’s kick probably would not have hurt all that much, if at all. Either way, doing it right is doing it right. I scrunched my head down to align my right eye (which happens to be the one with the worst astigmatism) with the sights.

How in the hell am I supposed to hit anything with these sights? If I look at the paper, the sights are blurry. If I look at the front sight, the paper target is blurry. (Brown paper target, by the way… Which bastard was responsible for putting a brown paper target on a brown bail of hay, I do not know.) If I focus on the rear sight, pretty much everything looks like a target. Are these sights broken? No, probably my eyes are broken. Maybe my left eye will work better.

I then learned that it is very difficult to aim a rifle with your left eye while it is on your right shoulder. My neck hurt. So, I switched the rifle over to my left shoulder. I am right handed, and while having a rifle on my right side wasn’t exactly comfortable, having it on my left just felt ridiculous… plus my left eye was no better at focusing on two distances at once. Blurry is blurry, regardless of each eye’s magnitude of astigmatism (which is good enough to pass a driver’s license test, but not much better than that).

I re-shouldered the rifle back on my right shoulder. I decided my best bet for aim was “simply” to quickly switch focus between the target and the front sight until it seemed like everything was lined up. I did this the best I could, and squeezed the trigger. I have no idea what trigger technique I used, as I knew nothing about squeezing steadily and letting the shot surprise you or anything else of that nature. I just squeezed the trigger. “Bang!”

I raised my head from the scrunched up position it was in for aiming purposes, blinked my eyes a couple times to get them to recover from that horrid exercise in depth of field, and looked down at the target. Ahhh… pristine as ever. Hope I at least hit the hay. I don’t see anyone in that general direction in front of the hay, and I don’t hear anyone screaming from behind it. I look to both sides of me and behind me. No one is laughing at me, so I must not have made a complete —ss of myself. Oh, well. Got four more rounds to try with.

I begin reloading by unlocking and pulling the bolt handle. Since I am in no way familiar with this rifle, or any rifle, I am not exactly smooth in operating the action but I get the bolt open relatively easy. Hrmph… the shiny thing (yes, I know, “brass” or “case”) didn’t jump out of the rifle like they do in those cool movies. Oh well… I turn the rifle upside down to let the brass fall out with gravity. (I do keep the muzzle pointed downrange. Some safety rules are just common sense, after all.) Darn thing doesn’t want to come out. I’ll just use my fingers then.

“Son of a… !!!”

Firearms lesson #342 of the day: recently spent brass is rather warm. I did get the case out of the rifle, but dropped it on the bench rather quickly after the exclamation of pain. It didn’t burn too badly, but it did surprise me. I’ve got four more rounds to go through, and I think I’ll remove the rest of the spent cases by poking them with a stick. (Ingenuity at its finest, I know.)

On to those remaining 4 rounds. I repeat the whole process with the second round, this time wondering if I can find a more comfortable position to shoot from. Just sitting there made steadying the front part of the rifle somewhat difficult. Unfortunately, the bench was at about the same height as my knees when sitting on the stool, so trying to rest your arm on it was not a feat for the inflexible. After some fumbling, I decided the most comfortable position possible was probably just laying your stomach on the stool and resting your arms on the bench. Yes, the bench was that low. No, I was not that desperate for a more comfortable position.

The second round left the paper looking as spotless — literally — as ever. No one died… all good. I pulled the action back much smoother this time, and the brass did a lovely triple-twist quadruple-back-flip out of the action and bounced around on the bench. I guess I don’t need that poking stick after all. I am also glad I wasn’t staring down from above the bolt as I opened it. Burning my fingers was annoying enough, and annoyed people with rifles and facial burns are a bad combination.

The third round left the paper unharmed just like the second, but the bolt didn’t open quite as smoothly this time. The spent case also didn’t eject quite as readily. I was prepared with knowledge though, or at least deductive reasoning. I pushed the bolt forward a bit and knocked it all the way back with some authority. Ahhh… flying brass that doesn’t burn my fingers, and not looking like a dork poking brass with a stick: Victory!

I load the fourth round and start my aiming, if you can call it that… What the hell is that? I lift my head from the rifle, and point the rifle down toward the ground in front of the bench (by instinct, believe it or not). Why is the kid that was in the bench on my left now running to his target? (Remember, I was in the second to the left position.) Did he get excited because he actually hit the paper? (That lucky bastard!) You know, I think I will refrain from taking a shot while he is down there. I don’t think my aim is that horrible, but since I cannot actually tell where my rounds are hitting, I’d rather not take the chance. I’m surprised something like this is even allowed at a range. (And today I am blessed with the knowledge that it isn’t! whistle)

The bassy yell of our “rangemaster” interrupted my thoughts. “Hey! Get back up here! You wanna get shot?”

“Well, that’s a stupid question,” I thought.

The kid comes running back toward the bench, target in hand, smile on face. The popping sounds of .22 LR going off are randomly continuing from my right side like nothing happened. The “rangemaster” took the kid by the arm before he even sat back down and gave him an inaudible scolding some distance away. The target was still in the kid’s hand, but the smile was no longer on the poor kid’s face.

At this point, it was obvious that I was not the only one who didn’t know all the safety rules that were expected of me. I realized that it very easily could have been me running down to the target side of the range (if I had actually hit anything) if it wasn’t for the fact that I did not have as easy of access around the line of benches that the kid did. (Plus I sincerely believe the equation “gunshots + common sense” would have stopped me.)

This realization made me promptly use my new-found bolt opening skills to eject the fourth round from it’s ready state. It bounced to the ground somewhere in front of the bench. I obviously was not going to go get it. I put the rifle back on the bench, bolt still open, and left the line of shooters (which apparently had changed participants somewhat due to some shooters being faster than others. I was not the only one, yet again!)

I walked up to the “rangemaster” and my new friend, who was still being scolded, and told the adult (no longer graced with the term “rangemaster”), “You might want to get back to watching the shooters!” The adult turned his attention from my new friend and I and walked back to the line, still pretty mad. My new friend and I just exited the activity area and went back to camp.

The next shooter in my bench probably got the nice bonus of a sixth round to practice with. More importantly, I learned many things about firearms that day, but unfortunately they were not the safety rules which should have been the first.

…………………………

Since growing up, I have not shot another firearm since that day, save a BB pistol my friend let me shoot once at a can in a deserted field. (I hit that damn can, too… even if it was only 15 feet away!) It was not that I was not interested or that I was scared. I’m generally curious about everything, including firearms. I just never had the opportunity again, and never really took the initiative to make an opportunity. (Mom was still not too keen on firearms, especially since I did not tell her about this Scout activity until several years later.)

I now have moved from Southern California (specifically a county that is not known to be very forthcoming with the carry permits) to Pennsylvania (which is much less stingy). I have become interested in preparedness. (Duh!) I have acquired an interest in learning how firearms work, and have read what I could on the internet. (Gun forums are interesting beasts, filled with the most incredible mix of knowledge and pure, testosterone-induced bullcrap. Fortunately, I am smart enough to sort it out.) I am thinking I might enjoy going to a range to shoot a .22 LR pistol if they have any for rent. Hopefully I can find some bona fide shooting instruction, as well. Safety first, after all!

Maybe after I become proficient, I would enjoy being more prepared to defend myself if the need ever arises. (No, not with the .22 LR pistol mentioned above, thanks! No caliber debates necessary…)

#138187 - 06/30/08 12:49 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Great story.

I was quite lucky growing up on property which bordered with state game lands. My dad often took me into the back yard to teach me how to shoot with a single shot .22 LR, probably very similar to what you used back in the scouts.

I found that I was actually pretty good all in all... But he definitely took the time to teach me the correct things I needed to know. I took a hunter safety course when I was 12. That was also the year I got a single shot 12 guage shotgun for Christmas.

I shot intramural rifle in college. They were army issue .22 LR as well. Imagine shooting at a 1 inch target downrange and putting the bullet dead center. Yup, I was able to do that pretty well.

See if you can find a target range and get some instruction. I don't remember where they are in the Dallas, PA area... I never had to go to one as I had our backyard to work with.

#138190 - 06/30/08 01:03 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: Mike_H]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
There were almost 30 years between my first firearms experiences and the next, interrupted only by the occasional use of a BB gun.

My wife inherited two rifles and a shotgun, when her father passed, last year. Getting them from the mountain west to the east coat was not easy. Once we had them, we had guns and did not want to have them and know nothing about handling the. We started with shooting skeet. The skeet and trap ranges I've looked at all we ready to have neophytes show up, loan them a shotgun and send them out to the range almost right away. Not the same as aiming a rifle or pistol, but it's fun. I know you can find a range not that far from your new home.

#138201 - 06/30/08 01:36 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: JCWohlschlag]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I started at five. My dad's 1903 Springfield .30-06, and an uncles Winchester Model 12. My dad helped with supporting the weapons, but I took the recoil (handload in the '06, low base 7 1/2 in the 12). Had my own .22 (Winchester Model 02, which was my dad's first also, and I still have) long before I owned a BB gun...

#138209 - 06/30/08 02:13 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I used to shoot on a regular basis plinking with my dad when I was young. I'm not entirely sure but it's been around 15 years since the last time I fired a long gun. I still haven't fired the one I just bought...it'll be my first since I was a kid.

I've fired hand guns at ranges though so I guess that counts.

#138210 - 06/30/08 02:26 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: JCWohlschlag]
gunsmith Offline

Loc: Co.'Douglas 80125
So the safety and marksmanship instruction was -- "You have 5 rounds, go ahead and shoot." ?? No training whatsoever ? If that was the case, I think this is a sad story, and a sorry comentary on the competence of BSA leadership.

#138227 - 06/30/08 04:04 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: gunsmith]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
Originally Posted By: gunsmith
So the safety and marksmanship instruction was -- "You have 5 rounds, go ahead and shoot." ?? No training whatsoever ? If that was the case, I think this is a sad story, and a sorry comentary on the competence of BSA leadership.

As with any organization, group, activity, the actual implementation of a program probably varies. I was in BSA from Scout to Eagle, shot at the range at summer camp every year. Each time we had a safety briefing and instruction session prior to moving to the range.

This was many years ago, can't speak to current practices. However, given the state of concern over litigation I can only imagine the rules are stricter (if firearms practice is not completely eliminated).

My eldest just got back from Girl Scout camp, her most exciting part was archery. Need to find a way to nurture that spark...

#138230 - 06/30/08 04:08 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: GameOver]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

I forgot to mention that I am a ASM (Assistant Scout Master) in the BSA program. They definitely give more of a safety briefing than that. They are liable for the boys' safety.

#138248 - 06/30/08 06:18 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: gunsmith]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: gunsmith

That is correct. I remember it quite clearly because I was quite confused about being sat down at a rifle and being told to put five rounds into a piece of paper when I had never picked up a firearm of any type before. That is why I specifically asked they guy who was giving the instructions for additional tidbits of info, such as how to even work the damn thing.

Of course, now that I’ve grown up and passively learned a bit more about firearms, I know how well, “try not to shoot anyone,” would have gotten torn up in court had a tragedy occurred. “Well, we tried not to kill anyone, Your Honor…”

Personally, I don’t really reflect the situation much on the Boy Scouts of America organization. Every group of people is going to have its share of idiots, and I blame that particular idiot for that situation. I enjoyed my time in Scouts, even though I did not get to attend that many outings due to pretty bad asthma and allergies (always a fun combination). The only reasons I quit before becoming Eagle was due to my inability to attend many of the outings and that the International Baccalaureate (which is French for “sleep deprivation”, I believe whistle) program in high school ended up devoting a majority of my free time to academics.

One of the lessons I gleaned from this whole experience is going to be enacted when I have children. I am not going to let any organization that is not specifically designed around firearms education to be my children’s first exposure to firearms. Either that means I take them to the range and teach them myself or I enroll them (and probably myself along with them) into a firearms education course. I just don’t want my kids going to a range of anyone’s creation and not knowing whether what is going on around them is safe or not. I would much rather they approach the range with some experience to count on, so that they can easily tell whether it is a safe range to be on.

This applies to any organization, whether it is the BSA, IDPA, IPSC, or the local range with the idiot who “doesn’t hear” the cold range announcement. The best way to keep your kids safe is to educate them, and this applies to anything that can hurt them: guns, drugs, alcohol, crime, sex, etc.

#138250 - 06/30/08 06:42 PM Re: Remembering My First Firearms Experience [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Amen to that JC.

You want to make sure that your child knows a few basic dos and don'ts before they are ever exposed to a weapon.

Most important, always treat a weapon as if it is loaded. Even if you just saw someone unload it.

This way, if God forbid, they come across a firearm from a friend or whatever, they will know how to act appropriately.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.