Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#138448 - 07/02/08 01:43 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: Spiritwalker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've looked at the Bushbuddy stove a few times but I've always been turned off by the price. I've also looked into the Vital stove. Still made in Canada but out east. Basically a fan fueled stove but extremely solid (the pot stand legs will support 50lbs). It doesn't gassify however.

I like the idea of the Millbank bag but it seems to only filter particulates. Can it filter Crypto? If not, then it's no better than a bandana as far as filtering goes since I already use tablets and/or a MIOX pen.

#138487 - 07/02/08 09:18 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
Spiritwalker Offline

I'm just going by your idea of needing to be self-sustaining for several weeks or possibly months.

The Millbank only filters particulates but it is much better than a bandanna at it and allows more volume. You can also use one (properly sized and perhaps modified) as a carrier/protection for a solar shower or one gallon ziplock freezer bag(s) for transporting water (to a more secure or secluded location if needed) before purifying it. BTW a solar shower may not fit a "minimalist" approach but believe me, after a few weeks of "[censored]'s baths" or bathing in lakes, rivers or streams, even a luke warm shower is a great morale booster and a hot shower is better than sex (almost).

Another dietary fat idea would be several small cans of clarified butter. It should usually be refrigerated after opening but it should be safe if kept in a evaporation cooler (like a canteen cover kept damp).

#138488 - 07/02/08 09:47 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: Spiritwalker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I like the Olive oil idea but I've been trying to track down some Ghee for just that purpose...as well as for the camping pantry.

One of the things I struggle with when it comes to gear is that I love multitaskers. With the extra stuff I'd need to carry out this crazy idea that started this thread, I want as many multi taskers as I can to keep weight down. I also want some overlap/redundancy because re-supply can't be counted on which suits multitaskers fine...usually.

The Millbank bag is a neat idea and would be nice to have but it won't produce potable water on it's own and even with chemical treatment Crypto can still be a problem which is really what's critical...I'll stay dirty a long time if it means I have fresh drinking water. To me that makes it a bit of a liability weight and space wise.

I'm currently trying to get some multitasking out of my hydration bladder (Source 3L) by seeing if I can't adapt it to be a shower of sorts or at least a good washing aid. I'd also like an inline filter for it but before I'll use any kind of filter for this setting it needs to be backflushable or have a really long service/replacement interval. I forsee some creative bladder plumbing in my future for that.

#138532 - 07/03/08 09:41 AM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
Spiritwalker Offline

[censored] hand" in large areas of the world.

As a substitute for toilet paper consider washing after you do your business. A couple of small spray bottles (one with soapy water, the other for rinsing) and perhaps a washcloth for drying if you don't care for drip-drying your butt.

#138533 - 07/03/08 09:47 AM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: Spiritwalker]
Spiritwalker Offline

[censored] hand" in large areas of the world.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.