Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#132692 - 05/12/08 09:41 PM Re: Can plexiglass be used for "bullet-proof glass [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
And a student at a militry academy bet his friend that a kevlar vest would stop a knife-lost the bet, and died from the chest wound. I guess its one of the edge geometry phenomena-

#132696 - 05/12/08 10:24 PM Re: Can plexiglass be used for "bullet-proof glass [Re: nursemike]
JRJ Offline

Do not use plexiglass to try to stop a bullet. LOL

If you want bullet-resistant glass buy it.

-JRJ

#138118 - 06/29/08 07:33 PM Re: Can plexiglass be used for "bullet-proof glass [Re: JRJ]
Winchester Offline
Stranger

To do it yourself I think you're gonna have to do your own testing. Obviously, you can save a ton of cash doing it yourself. They got it priced like it's a racket. Lexan and Plexiglass are not very expensive and the hurricane films you can buy cheap online. The film is just cold pressed laminate, which should cost about 20 bucks for a 100' x 3' roll, but you'll pay closer to $100 or 2. Although, if you are a masochist and getting fleeced "makes your day," then you can spend a thousand dollars or more. The sky is the limit on a lot of these plastic products, but if you shop you can find them cheap. Although, you will have to do your own testing. Moreover, if this isn't for "personal use," then I reckon you could open yourself up to a lawsuit. Otherwise, I don't see a problem and if it's gonna save a life, who cares. Most businesses and individuals cannot afford products that are marketed as bullet proof glass and I reckon courts are aware of that. I mean, if the choice is between something or nothing, well, that's obvious.

Basically, they seem to recommend layering it, with just about any combination of materials or all the same. Still, I bet a solid piece of 1/2" Lexan with 8 mil film on both sides would stop cheap street rods, but I haven't actually tested it yet. Also, for testing, you can find companies that sell "cut offs" from large sheets they trim for customers. That is the cheapest way to buy it. A lot of these morons are just carrying 22s or maybe a little 38. You know, it's a throw away pistol. lol

To test it, you call around, you can probably find a range that will let you. As a matter of fact, they'll probably want to be there! Unless, they've already done it twenty times themselves.

Plexiglass is o.k., but it isn't as strong and it cracks too easy when you work with it. So, it's kind of a pain. Still, they use it a lot in the "real" bullet resistant glasses. Which is kinda funny, because technically, air is "bullet resistant." lol

Edited by Winchester (06/29/08 07:37 PM)

#138119 - 06/29/08 07:49 PM Re: Can plexiglass be used for "bullet-proof glass [Re: Winchester]
Winchester Offline
Stranger

I don't remember if somebody already said this, but when a bullet is stopped by plexiglass the glass shatters and sprays little shards of plexiglass out. Lexan doesn't do that. So, it is superior and surprisingly, it isn't that much more expensive. Still, you'll see them combo plexi with lexan in professional bullet resistant glass. Usually though, the plexi is sandwiched between lexan. I guess it saves a little money.

#138130 - 06/29/08 11:01 PM Re: Can plexiglass be used for "bullet-proof glass"? [Re: xavier01]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I have absolutely no experience with "bullet resistant glass" but I did just read an interesting test report on it with great pictures on "The Box of Truth" website found here http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot6.htm

This is a great site for answering questions about firearms and bullets, worth checking out.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (wildman800), 223 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
0 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.