Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#138099 - 06/29/08 12:23 PM Re: Generator [Re: bws48]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Yeah, running the A/C is not really high on the list. I just thought if I had the power what the heck, right? BUt it will be a little complicated for me to figure out so it's not a big deal if that doesn't work out.

My priorities>

Fridge freezer
Cable Modem/ Router
Computer
Maybe a TV
Maybe some fans if its hot

#138100 - 06/29/08 12:41 PM Re: Generator [Re: harstad]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Sounds very doable with a modest gas powered generator within your budget. Shop around and watch for sales.

Also, I should have mentioned, consider the size of the gas tank on the generator. Smaller generators have smaller gas tanks that may require refilling every couple of hours. You had a 26 hour outtage; how would it be to refill it 10 to 12 times? Consider models with a 5 gallon tank that will run maybe 8 or more hours on a tank.

#138102 - 06/29/08 01:15 PM Re: Generator [Re: harstad]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Two things that can not be stated enough re portable generators.

Watch that exhaust, it will kill if it gets into your (or your neighbors) home.

Chain it down. Portables, 'specially during a long term outtage, have a nasty habit of walking away...

#138106 - 06/29/08 02:38 PM Re: Generator [Re: Raspy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the great info Raspy!

How difficult would it be to power a normal household natural gas furnace (fan, ignition, controls) with a portable gas generator?

My most common difficulty at our home would be a long-term power outage in the winter, therefore no heat in the house because the furnace would not run.

Mike

#138108 - 06/29/08 03:25 PM Re: Generator [Re: SwampDonkey]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Mike,

I have done it successfully.

In theory, not hard, especially if you know what you are doing and don't mind a few minor violations of local codes.

A typical gas fired forced hot air heating system doesn't take much power to run. But every installation is different and the details get complex. Here is how I did it.

First, the system needs to be off line from the main breakers. Flip the breaker(s) that power the system to off.

Second, find an alternate way to get the power into the circuits you just isolated. In my local jurisdiction, the code calls for one standard outlet at the furnace, so this is easy.

Make a "make to male" adapter. Make sure and triple check that you do this correctly or there may be fireworks or damage to the system.

Run an extension cord to the furnace from the generator, plug one end of the male to male into the extension cord and the other into the outlet on the isolated furnace circuit. Your furnace, fans and controls should have power, and, after a brief "reset" time should come up and run and provide heat.

I have only done this in extreme conditions, when indoor temp got below 50 f., as there are conditions when the power you are injecting can leak our through the grounding system (which is not disconnected by throwing the breaker) and endanger the folks working to restore power.

I can't stress enough that every installation is different, and, depending on your skill/knowledge, the help of a friendly electrician on a non-attribution basis may be required.

#138110 - 06/29/08 03:32 PM Re: Generator [Re: bws48]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Bws48,

Thanks for the information. I am not an "electicial guy" at all so I would have an electrician do the installation.

Any idea how powerful a generator would be needed to make a normal household furnace operate?

Mike

#138111 - 06/29/08 03:41 PM Re: Generator [Re: SwampDonkey]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Thanks for the great info Raspy!

How difficult would it be to power a normal household natural gas furnace (fan, ignition, controls) with a portable gas generator?

My most common difficulty at our home would be a long-term power outage in the winter, therefore no heat in the house because the furnace would not run.

Mike

If you use natural gas or propane to heat one of those vent less wall heaters would be a good heat source. I have seen them for as little as $150.00 in the off season. I have a friend that uses one and it heats most of his home, the furnace only kicks on, on the coldest of days.

You want to buy one that does not have a fan, this way it needs no electricity to heat.

I think they are close to 100% efficient.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#138113 - 06/29/08 04:35 PM Re: Generator [Re: SwampDonkey]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

My fridge is on a 20 amp breaker.
My gas furnace is also on a 20 amp breaker.

I have run the fridge OR the furnace on a 3000 watt generator (about a 25 amp generator if did the math right). I did not try, nor need to, run BOTH at the same time. The idea is to run one for a couple of hours, then switch to the other. If you need to power both at the same time, then you I think you need about a 5000 watt generator, for a 120 volt system (again, if I did the math right).

Hope this helps.

#138114 - 06/29/08 04:37 PM Re: Generator [Re: bws48]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
A couple of observations-I operated pet grooming trailers for 3 years. These trailers relied upon a propane-fueled onan generator. Lots of breakdowns. Replacement vehicles are diesel vans which have a bank of 12v batteries, a 90 amp alternator, and a 3KW inverter. Lots fewer breakdowns. Easier to get service on the parts that break, cuz the alternators and inverters are relatively easy, tho costly, to replace. This is a configuration used in FEMA and Red Cross disaster response vehicles.

The argument in fuel choice seems to me to hinge on fuel storage and availability. Locally, the electric power fails pretty often (village is suing power company for this lack of reliability) and natural gas has not failed so far. Large volume, long term storage of diesel or gasoline presents some problems in safety and loss of fuel quality over time. We chose a 5KW gas fueled permanent installation for back up power, and have good luck with it for 6 years; but, as raspy points out, the engine is still basically a lawn mower motor, and is not as reliable as a truck engine would be.

#138115 - 06/29/08 05:31 PM Re: Generator [Re: bws48]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Bws48m thanks for the information, that gives me an idea of the size of generator I would need.

BobS I like your thoughts on a gas fireplace for heating, I have promised my DW a fancy one of these with a mantle for in the living room, but decided to replace the siding on the house first. Only so much time and money!

I appreciate the replies fellas!

Mike

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 241 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.