Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#137769 - 06/26/08 02:39 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Thanks... very good idea... next time in states i'll give it a try and take her along and see if it'll work for her.

#137775 - 06/26/08 04:06 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Exactly what needs to come out of the DR PSK to make it FAA acceptable. The scalpel blade is the first thing I think of. Fishhooks and needle? Spark-Lite?

#137777 - 06/26/08 04:13 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Mike_H]
Kris Offline
Addict

I think thats all... maybe safty pins too (though I've taken them on my last few flights through the usa with no hassle). Come to think of it, i've taken a sewing kit (accidently) through security with no issues.

#137830 - 06/26/08 06:49 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
SirJoel Offline

If it wasn't for the pending doom... sounds like it could be quite entertaining to watch the whole process. smile

#137843 - 06/26/08 08:34 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: SirJoel]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: SirJoel
If it wasn't for the pending doom... sounds like it could be quite entertaining to watch the whole process. smile

Watching a hurricane coming and wreak havoc and destruction... done it. Really don't want to do it again, but since we have pets and commitments - i'm the one staying and DW gets to jet.

Its not fun.

Though at the time I had no idea about hurricanes and the damage done by them. Sure, you see it on the news and in pictures, but to experience one is a totally different matter.

#137887 - 06/27/08 05:06 AM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I know it isn't overly helpful, but I break down my airline thinking into groups:

1) in the event of a airline crash.

In this case, I mostly think about this in terms of escape from the plane. Sensible shoes, natural fibers, flashlight (on person, not in bag).

2) being stranded in the airport/airplane.

What items do I want with me if flights are canceled and I'm stuck in the airport security area for a day or two.

In the context you describe, spending a bunch of time in an airport seems semi-likely.

Things that come to mind: A book. Clothing to keep warm (I like an expedition weight Capilene top + a fleece jacket + warm hat). Snacks. Asprin/etc. -- stuff in case you don't feel well (which seems semi-likely). Water bottle. Toothbrush (even if you can't bring toothpaste).

I'd skip the sleeping bag. Seems awful bulky. Just enough clothes that you are warm enough if you have to sleep on the floor or whatever.

Cell phone. Way to charge cell phone both if you do and if you do not have wall power.

Cash, credit card(s), travel papers.

3) what do you need when you reach your destination.

This is probably hard since it sounds like it isn't clear where this will be, nor how long coupled with very limited amount of stuff. Seems like you are going to be somewhat at the mercy of what you can buy when you get there.

Certainly I'd have a lightweight rain shell which can be layered on to of the top + fleece noted above.

It is kind of painful since you need to prepare for both hot and cool, but with limited space.

-john

#137915 - 06/27/08 02:10 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: JohnN]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
You have plenty of good suggestions here already plus your own solid knowledge of likely scenarios.

My additions: (1)support your significant other's participation in the selection of whatever stuff she would be happiest carrying, including whatever she thinks is the most stylish, and (2) scout the most likely destinations to develop resources and strategies by inspection, research, and making contacts.

#137921 - 06/27/08 03:11 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: dweste]
Kris Offline
Addict

Again, Thanks all.

dweste said it right, "support your significant other's participation in the selection of whatever...". That's probably the only way i can put this together... she'll have to approve it all.

This has been most helpful, thanks!

#137947 - 06/27/08 06:32 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
It seems to me that if you're being evacuated from some disaster situation, that your plane won't be landing at an airport in ANOTHER disaster area. So my BOB for that scenario would be cash, credit cards, a deck of cards, and a book. Pretty much what I carry on a plane every time I get on one. You would probably want to take some personal documents too if the evacuation might turn out to be long duration.

If you're planning on the plane landing in a war zone or crashing in some remote wilderness area or ditching into the sea then things would be different. But most likely you'll be evacuated to some civilized and safe place without incident. And you'd probably be evacuated to some nearby place with climate similar to what you're used to. They're not going to fly you from the Caymans to the Arctic. The clothes on your back would probably suffice, if you carry money to buy more when you arrive at your destination.

#137955 - 06/27/08 08:54 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: haertig]
Kris Offline
Addict

Canada is high up on the list of evac places, and Toronto would be the airport. Reason for this would be related to people on the plane and their situations. For example, if someone looses their US waiver (good portion of people here are UK/Irish/Aussy/Kiwi's/etc that would require a waiver to get into the US).

Leaving the caymans in shorts in October (around 28-31c) and landing in Toronto when its 5-10c out is a shock! At least for me. I am climatized to the carib weather that anything under 25c is sweater weather. Family back in Canada laugh at me now - i'm ok with that cause I live here!

Miami would be the perferred choice as they can do two or more runs in the same period as one run to Toronto and back.

Mexico is an option, but not high on the list as the flight situation from Mexico to other locations isn't a great as Miami or Toronto.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.