Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#137614 - 06/25/08 05:06 PM Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
All,

I have a good one for you guys. A BOB that is acceptable to be carried aboard a plane, and can get you going where ever the plane flies.

As some of you know I live in the Caymans. When an hurricane comes our way we will get evacuated from the island (via work - charter an evac flight to get us off). So, I'm trying to build something that my wife can grab and she'll be good to go in whatever country she flies into. Typically they will aim for Miami as its the nearest largest International airport. But conditions may dicate that they flight into Toronto, or Mexico or somewhere else.

Here are the restrictions:
-Items have to meet the FAA guidelines (i.e. no knifes, etc)
-Can have only one carry on per person
-Carry on has to meet current FAA rescrictions
-There are others restrictions since some charter flights add their own, but this will account for most restrictions

Currently i'm thinking of this:
-Using a backpack (can squeeze more into it then a typical suitcase - of course all depends on what model) but looking at backpacks that have the wheels and extended handle like most carry on's
-Sleeping bag (something like REI's Travel Sack) - never know how long your going to be in airports and could be in questionable hotels
-packable jacket (flying from here and ending up in Toronto in October will be a cold shock for ya!) (Something like Sierra Designs Microlight Anorak)
-cheap rain poncho
-Stuff sack (with clothes - below) - makeshift pillow
-Two changes of under clothes each change in zip lock bags
-T-shirt (in zip lock bag)
-Long sleeve shirt (in zip lock bag)
-Pants (or converable pants/shorts)
-Possiblity of a sweater/fleece (this is low priority item)
-Pens/Pencils & notepad
-Toilet paper
-Basic toiletries in FAA approvable packaging
-Ultra light towel
-Ultra light face cloth
-Basic First Aid kit (with lots of imodium!)
-1 or 2 litre Platypus bottle for water when through security
-Flashlight
-DR PSK FAA'ized
-Additional PSK items (zip ties, etc)
-Throw away mobile from the states (w/ charger)
-30 pack of Katadyn Micropur
-Maps of three most likely areas where she would land
-document of all phone numbers & addresses she ever need (Canadian consultate in many countries, our parents numbers, friends, etc)
-Copies of important documents
-Wallet in bag (that will be taken out when using) that will contain certified copies (means nothing to some countries) of all documents in her present wallet, cash in three currencies (USD, CDN, Euros), etc.

It will be a challenge getting all of that to fit in the require space.

I need some advice from you guys... What would you add/subtract from the above list? I need to be able to account for a lot of variables and she will have enough funds that once she lands, she can set herself up in a hotel quite easily (or just fly back home if need be).

She will also be carrying her purse that will contain her everyday stuff (cash, credit cards, insurance, etc).

Thanks!
Kris

#137617 - 06/25/08 05:31 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A big full sleeping bag has always seemed to me like something to have near my BOB, but not in it. It simply takes up too much room. One of the fleece sleepng bag liners might be just fine for sleeping indoors almost anywhere. I've thought about, but never tried, putting a liner inside a heatsheets bivy. Not too durable, but it could really expand where you could spend a night.

My most space efficient jackets are a combination of soemthing like the anorak you mention and a thin fleece. Either alone can be fine at a lot of temperatures, and together, I've feel pretty good even when it is below freezing. So, I would add it, if cold weather might be enountered.

If cold weather is possible, I am big on layering.

With both of these, do you still need the cheap poncho? The anorak should take care of much that the poncho would.

I'd add a P38 or P51 can opener, as it would give you something like a blade. TSA inspectors and officers at courthouses have both let me carry them without saying anything. I've been tempted to sharpen mine, but have not, although it is secured with tape.

Consider a cheap inflatable pool float patches. It would take up little more room than a poncho, but it would give you soemthing that might be serviceable as a mattress for a night. I'd rather have a real sleeping pad, but that takes more room. A patch kit might be good too.

Aspirin, tylenol, etc. Bad or strange sleeping accomodations can lead to sore joints and muscles.

#137621 - 06/25/08 05:55 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Dan_McI]
Kris Offline
Addict

A
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
A big full sleeping bag has always seemed to me like something to have near my BOB, but not in it. It simply takes up too much room. One of the fleece sleepng bag liners might be just fine for sleeping indoors almost anywhere.

Actually, the bag I mentioned packs up to 6x11"... about the same room as a fleece bag. Of course, this probably isn't a priority... but sleeping in an airport over night in Toronto sucks (waiting for that last minute stand by flight to go home...), this would be very helpful.

I like the idea of the anorak and sweater combo... It'll get her through most areas.

Probably won't need the poncho, but I know my wife's luck. She's like me; if she doesn't have it, she'll need it really bad right now. As in, no poncho and it'll probably do nothing but rain and she'll find a way to get totally soaked and miserable. This would be in place of an umbrella. As for taking the place of the anorak... she could end up in Mexico and wearing the anorak there in the summer/fall would be quite interesting! More like a cheap 2 dollar insurance that takes up next to nothing for room.

I like the infatable pool thing... I'll see what I can find that will fit (might even consider a foam sleeping pad... have to play with these ideas).

As for the drugs... strongly agree with you! Her usual EDC is tylenol, 222's, advil, imodium, and sleeping pills. So, i'll just be replicating that (minus the sleeping pills) and add the usual basic first aid stuff.

#137644 - 06/25/08 07:39 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
SolidVFR Offline

For 'questionable' items, carry a copy of the TSA guidelines. That will ensure they don't take something away when you are actually allowed to have it.

#137647 - 06/25/08 07:46 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: SolidVFR]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: SolidVFR
For 'questionable' items, carry a copy of the TSA guidelines. That will ensure they don't take something away when you are actually allowed to have it.

In all honesty, i've had stuff taken away that was perfectly ok to keep, and in the past i've asked why it was taken away. WRONG MOVE!!! Now, just carry non questionable items.

Edited by Kris (06/25/08 07:47 PM)

#137648 - 06/25/08 07:49 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Kris
I like the infatable pool thing... I'll see what I can find that will fit (might even consider a foam sleeping pad... have to play with these ideas).

Perhaps something like this, but the float should be flatter.

#137660 - 06/25/08 08:51 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
LED Offline
Veteran

For water you could always carry a couple of empty 1L water bottles and refill after the checkpoint. Be easier than taking sips from a collapsable platypus. Of course, things have gotten so out of hand I'm not sure how (in)security would react. I assume empty water bottles would be okay though.

Edited by LED (06/25/08 08:52 PM)

#137661 - 06/25/08 08:54 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: Kris]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I'd suggest $2,000 in $10's and 20's, a flashlight, towel, toothbrush, water pouch, cell phone, charger, some granola a good book and a satchel of your important papers. Oh and a nylon coat. Pack it all in a vest. That's more than enough to get pretty much anything you need airport to airport.

#137668 - 06/25/08 09:54 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: MartinFocazio]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

They won't let you check any baggage for the evac?

-john

#137684 - 06/25/08 11:46 PM Re: Airline acceptable (carry on) BOB [Re: JohnN]
Kris Offline
Addict

Nah, no checked baggage - at least for charter flights that businesses bring in for their employees. I'm assuming if you went off on a regular flight it might be different, but not sure.

Keep in mind its total chaos at the airport, flights coming and going. Only a single runway, the airport can only handle so many flights at once, and they try to get many off asap.

If the past is any indication, she'll be at the airport for 4-6 hours just trying to leave.

Fun stuff!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.