Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#137514 - 06/24/08 11:27 PM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: SolidVFR]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Some of you guys are saying deet does not repel black flies????

You likely were using a bad batch or expired deet because in all my years working in the Great Northwoods of northern NH and Maine deet has always worked very well at repelling insects of every species. They may continue to buzz around, but if they landed and stayed on any part of my body that meant there was no deet on that spot or it had worn off on bushes, or due to sweat, etc.

I know some sprays are pretty weak in percentage of deet and that could be a problem for longer term protection.

If an insect were to become covered in viable deet it would live about 1/10 of a second.

#137517 - 06/24/08 11:40 PM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: RobertRogers]
LED Offline
Veteran

Catnip oil (Nepetalactone) is supposed to be much more effective on mosquitoes than DEET. I wonder why no one's offered it as a commercial repellent yet?

#137525 - 06/25/08 12:30 AM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: RobertRogers]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
Some of you guys are saying deet does not repel black flies????

You likely were using a bad batch or expired deet because in all my years working in the Great Northwoods of northern NH and Maine deet has always worked very well at repelling insects of every species. They may continue to buzz around, but if they landed and stayed on any part of my body that meant there was no deet on that spot or it had worn off on bushes, or due to sweat, etc.

I know some sprays are pretty weak in percentage of deet and that could be a problem for longer term protection.

If an insect were to become covered in viable deet it would live about 1/10 of a second.

What I’ve read DEET needs to be 28% or higher to repel flies. Or it will work in lower DEET concentrations if it has R-246 & R-326 in it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#137528 - 06/25/08 12:50 AM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: BobS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I think body chemistry plans a bigger role in all this than repellent manufacturers like to let on. DW and I will walk to the mailbox in the even and she'll end up with 6-7 bites and I won't have any. Her record was 17 and I got 1. Citronella fails completely with her and she dislikes the feel of DEET. Her repellent of choice is a thick oak door, a fuzzy comforter, the couch and a good book.

I'd use this article as a guideline for trying new stuff. It told of things I'd never heard of. So see what the experts say about the choices/concentrations and give it a shot to see if it does the same for you.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#137545 - 06/25/08 03:27 AM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Blast,

Quote:
Citronella fails completely with her and she dislikes the feel of DEET.

You could always try 'Mossy Off'.

http://www.thejetrest.com/MozzyOffTrials.asp

The active ingredient is Myrica Gale (Bog Myrtle)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrica_gale

#137702 - 06/26/08 02:18 AM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: scottmphoto]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I've heard Brewers Yeast works well, consumed, not topical. But it smells from a distance, even while still in the closed container, so I've never tried it. Some of the B vitamins are said to work as well.

Eventually there will be vitamin enhanced, garlic resistant mosquitoes with a taste for onions.

but seriously, on a visit to AK a few years ago I tried orange oil and tangerine oil mixed with apricot kernel oil, a 50/50 mix of apricot to one of the other oils, and got fair results, short of a flame thrower there isn't much to stop an AK mosquito. I'm one of those who doesn't like to wear bug spray, either.

While working in a friends garden in Arkansas I got bite by mosquitoes and the bites itched so much I put neosporin on them immediately, the itch stopped and it eliminated the red bumps around the bite, as well. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use neosporin that way, but it worked for me.

#137707 - 06/26/08 02:37 AM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Echo the thoughts on body chemistry. Bugs choose targets by scent by and large- if with deet you smell REALLY good, you'll get bit while dripping with the stuff.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137708 - 06/26/08 02:39 AM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: frostbite]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Frostbite, next time, try just plain vaseline. I know oxidation plays a part in the itching, so maybe it just a matter of becoming air tight.

That sound like SUCH a good idea. Full body shell of vaseline + sparks.... Yeah, bad :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137729 - 06/26/08 06:09 AM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: ironraven]
bmisf Offline

I've had really good luck with Repel Lemon Eucalyptus:

http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/Insectrepellents/LemonEucalyptus/

FWIW, they say:

"Oil of lemon eucalyptus, in addition to DEET and Picaridin, has been recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for effective protection against mosquitoes that may carry the West Nile virus."

It doesn't last as long as DEET but I find it quite effective and it doesn't have all of the negatives of DEET.

#137752 - 06/26/08 01:58 PM Re: Review of different bug repellents [Re: scottmphoto]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

Lots of garlic (and maybe onions too). How is your love life? smile smile smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.