The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#137383 - 06/24/08 03:45 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: ironraven]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Wow! How did I miss such a topic? This "kettle" is actually a remix of Russian Samovar (samo-var = self-boil): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samovar - the perfect boiling device of 18th century. I didn't know it's available in techno shape these days. Will definitely consider getting one.

Some thoughts on the Kelly device design compared to the ancient beauty.
- First off, the Samovar have removable top lid, so it's much easier to clean, faster to fill and pour out, more versatile if you plan not only water boiling.
- There are 2 handles pointing upwards (on the sides), so it's safer and easier to move it around and to pour out.
- It's equipped with tap at the bottom, so it easier to dispense small amounts of hot water (for tea).
- The conic shape of Samovar is proved to boil water more efficiently in an entire volume.
- There is no separate bottom part in samovar design (cooking ring?), all the fuel is turning to ash right in the chimney.
- The important accessory to Samovar is chimney extension tube, which could be stored inside of the samovar main reservoir.
- Another popular chimney attachment is the small teapot warmer (for priming tea leaves).

Edited by Alex (06/24/08 03:50 AM)

#137392 - 06/24/08 08:12 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Alex]
LED Offline
Veteran

Ever since I can remember I've always wondered how those things were used. I always thought they were just for decoration. Thanks for the info. Somethings wrong though. The one in the photo looks out of place. I think it belongs in a smoke filled room with some gruff looking Russians having heated converstations and playing cards. At least thats the way they do it in my neck of the woods.

#137452 - 06/24/08 04:21 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: LED]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Looks like a trophy to me. I was about to ask what sport he won.

#137468 - 06/24/08 05:18 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
smile Isn't it beautiful? And functionality is the same if not superior compared to the Ugly Kelly - ages of the steam technology polishing laugh By the way, the "decorative" side ribs aren't simply decorations. The copper walls are quite thin, so some reinforcement ribs are crucial to keep the device relatively lightweight and durable.

By the way, I'm not arguing against the Kelly Kettle. Just giving some ideas of possible improvements, like the BobS made heavy duty handle.

#137488 - 06/24/08 07:35 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: BobS]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
For transit, so far I have just used the cardboard box for my Thermette and large Kelly too. My small Kelly is in a nylon stuff sack.

I have not done the handle modification to my Thermette but it really does need one of Bob's sort of handle to make it a safe boiler.

I think these devices are simply perfect for an emergency kit. Around here tons of down branches, cones, bark, needles and the like are available at all times and even slightly damp will burn.

The half gallon from the Thermette is best suited for larger groups and static locations, but I would not hesitate at all to take it or the larger Kelly along on a canoe trip.

The one pint Kelly makes for a pleasurable way to brew up for a lunch on the trail if you pack is large enough to take the bulk. It is not much heavier than a stove/pot/fuel bottle combo, and makes for a relaxing brew up, but it does take a good amount of room (about the size of a large thermos bottle).

Over at one of the super efficient light backpacker sites there is a small following for Kelly's on the trail, as there is never any fuel to carry...but these guys eat nothing that requires much but hot water (nor do they seem to eat anything interesting).

Good report on the camp Thermette Bob. A crude but damned effective device.

#137497 - 06/24/08 09:16 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Schwert]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
That Russian thing looks neat, I want one…

Does anyone have one of these? And if so, how does it work?

Edited by BobS (06/25/08 12:53 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#138631 - 07/04/08 05:45 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: BobS]
RavenLunatic Offline
Stranger

Loc: WA
Great site you all have here!

I've owned a Kelly Kettle for about a year now.
I am impressed with the quick boiling time, and miniscule amount of fuel required.

I bought mine at Water Strider:
http://www.waterstrider.com/camp-kitchen-gear.htm

If you scroll down you'll see the kettles.
But what I want to recommend are these items to compliment the KK(a bit further down from the kettle):

1. Kelly Kettle pot holder.
This device sits atop the chimney and works well for cooking in a small pot whilst boiling your water.

2. Folding water bucket.
A great way to transport water, and store the KK when not in use (just be sure to let it cool-off first!) I also store a dozen or so sticks of cedar kindling along side the KK. That way I can always be sure of having dry fuel. (2 sticks of cedar kindling will boil a kettle full of water!) I also throw in a few homemade sawdust-candle wax-egg carton firestarters.

3. Insulated plastic cup system.
Works great for cooking dehydrated foods and having a hot bev.

#138650 - 07/04/08 01:17 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: RavenLunatic]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.