Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#137356 - 06/24/08 12:14 AM interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch"
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I did a forum search on this product but didn't get any hits; I apologize if it's already been posted.

I came across this water container while surfing around today. The thing that makes it a potential contender is that it folds flat, as opposed to a Platypus water carrier. I may try an Aqua Pouch to see how it works out. A key issue will be how secure that zip closure is.

This quote from the manufacturer makes me think they have a good perspective on the product:

"A little history is in order. I'm John McCann and the Founder and Managing Director of Survival Resources™. When I was in the US Marine Corps, we used non-lubricated condoms in our survival kits for carrying water. They were small and fit in even the smallest kit, but they had to be supported in a shirt sleeve or pants leg when full of water, or they would burst. I was always looking for something better and eventually found the Reynolds™ Oven Bag, which I featured in my book "Build the Perfect Survival Kit." It packed small, was robust, but had to be marked with a 1 liter line, and it didn't stand up by itself and was difficult to transport. I had many ideas and prerequisites for the ideal survival kit water container, but finally decided that I would just have to develop one myself. After many rejections, the AQUA-POUCH™ is the result of that endeavor. It is everything I have been looking for and hopefully you will think so also."

#137358 - 06/24/08 12:43 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

looks good, I like the fact that it has the 1 liter line, and can hold boiling water, and to help hold the super hot water they have grommets that fit 550 cord... Looks good!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#137363 - 06/24/08 01:18 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: climberslacker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Good idea. I'll have to consider adding it to my stuff. I put 5 gallon mylar bags into the BOBs I have for DW and myself. I know I cannot carry 5 gallons if I need to bug out, but I like the idea of being able to store 5 gallons when I get to someplace to stay. Adding some more capacity and capability would be nice.

#137364 - 06/24/08 01:21 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: Dan_McI]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I was in the new Bass Pro Shop today (just opened up in here in Toledo) and saw these bags or ones very similar to them. They looked to be made out of a good plastic that would hold up well.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#137366 - 06/24/08 01:39 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
The thing that makes it a potential contender is that it folds flat, as opposed to a Platypus water carrier. I may try an Aqua Pouch to see how it works out. A key issue will be how secure that zip closure is.

Yeah, I'll certainly order a few to try. I have McCann's book, and having since developed some trust/respect for his opinion, I feel pretty comfortable that the closure is robust enough to serve its purpose. If these hold up, it is well worth $5.00 a piece to me to replace the half dozen or so Platypus' I have scattered around in different kits, and not have to make room for the screw top.

I do like the fact that they can go from freezing to boiling, and are FDA food grade. My prediction is these will net McCann more income than his book ever did, and I suspect that Nalgene and Platypus with both have similar products within a year.

Jim

#137368 - 06/24/08 01:46 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Got any idea where these are made? And do they have one of those little numbers in a triangle on them anywhere? If made in China I would be a little wary of them. Bad things seems to be coming out of China in "plastic" form. If all is OK, they look pretty neat...

#137382 - 06/24/08 03:43 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: OBG
little numbers in a triangle on them

you mean recyclable?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#137384 - 06/24/08 04:00 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: climberslacker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That's probably it. The number in the triangle indicates how often you should reuse the container. Lots of high dollar water jugs have really lousy numbers. Which it probably the reason that Nalgene has dropped their line of polycarb bottles, they had a bad number. Bad number equals more of the methalethalbadstuff you get if you use them too much...

#137388 - 06/24/08 04:56 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
In the UK the symbol and number indicates the type of plastic the item is made from. See the chart below:

Plastic Recycling Symbols

I suspect it is the same in the US.

#137395 - 06/24/08 09:38 AM Re: interesting water container: "Aqua Pouch" [Re: Ian]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I've been toying with the idea of getting some collapseable water containers for a small kit and was leaning towards platypus bags when I stumbled across these too.....
If you get one/some please post how well they work, I'd be interested to know. Thnx

-Bill Liptak

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.