Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#137233 - 06/23/08 02:36 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: DaveT]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You have the depressed ring around the outside of chimney part, right?

Pour a little fuel in there, that will burn openly and heat it enough get fuel running up through to the jets, and then it lights from there. Sometimes I have warm the entire thing though, as I pointed out with the tuna can stand- just drop in a cotton ball, light it, and when it abot half burned, drop the bottom of the trangia in there. Give it a minute before fueling and priming.

And if won't light, and you need it right now, just toss a match into the main cavity. Won't be as efficient, but you'll be able to at least water.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137240 - 06/23/08 03:16 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: climberslacker]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hey Climberslacker,

For a good comparison of alcohol stoves and a good review comparing them to other stoves I recommend you check out Colin Flectcher's "the complete walker book IV" from the library and read this alcohol stove review from Art Simon.

I switched to an alcohol stove after one bad experience where a bottle of white gas leaked down one side of my pack. The stench ruined a meal, stuck to my clothes and I hate the smell of gasoline to this day wink. I always had an irrational fear of the white gas stoves exploding on me anyway. Currently I use a clikstand setup with a Trangia burner as recommended by Art in his review above. And also apparently by Dweste. smile

As Ironraven mentioned there are limitations. The top 3 benefits that stand out to me are:

1. Quiet burning (no jet engine in the forest)
2. Safe operation (no worries about explosions)
3. Ease of use (just uncap and ignite)

One of the biggest benefits Trangia stoves offer is storage of fuel. Once you are done using the stove you just blow it out, let it cool and then cap it. The vargo titanium stove on the other hand is a bit unstable with larger pots and I always end up wasting fuel without the option to store fuel in the burner. You have to aliquot out your fuel each time which can be tricky. If you are going for a long trip of a week or more the others are right about the weight of the alcohol fuel, and I would recommend the white gas. I use the alcohol stove because most of my trips are about 3 days and I'm not usually in a hurry to get my water to boil 1 or 2 minutes faster.

Cheers,
L

P.s. Hey Ironraven, if you use enough cooking oil you can make a decent pancake on an alcohol stove wink. In fact with the extra oil you don't even miss the butter wink.

Edited by Loganenator (06/23/08 03:20 AM)

#137256 - 06/23/08 11:02 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: Loganenator]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I prefer hexamine solid fuel tabs, partly because with any liquid fuel I am scared I'll knock it over and set my tent alight.

In my climate the Trangia are easier to light, though; it's warm enough that the alcohol vaporises on its own and will ignite with a spark.

#137257 - 06/23/08 11:18 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: Brangdon]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
I prefer hexamine solid fuel tabs, partly because with any liquid fuel I am scared I'll knock it over and set my tent alight.

In my climate the Trangia are easier to light, though; it's warm enough that the alcohol vaporises on its own and will ignite with a spark.

well if there is a risk of burning your tent down, your to close to to the tent. If your cooking inside the tent, well you shouldn't.

i personally have one of most types of stoves, so i can take the best for the job with me. Small butaan/propaan burner in the summer, multifuel when it's cold and the solid fuel and alcohol for short trips.

#137258 - 06/23/08 11:26 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: Tjin]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Let's not be too literal. I don't cook inside my tent, but spilt burning liquid fuel is bad news where-ever it is.

#137259 - 06/23/08 11:44 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: Brangdon]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

what kind of stove are you using? i personally have never spilt burning fuel and i have use a lot of diffrent models and type of stoves (MSR XGK, Coleman 503, Booster +1, Svea 123R, optimus Explorer, optimus nova, Primus Multifuel, MSR pocketrocket, trangia, folding woodburner, loads of home made alcohol stove's, etc.)

It's ussually a matter of using the stove properly, not letting the top become to heavy, etc.

#137261 - 06/23/08 11:58 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: Tjin]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
As with any stove, you need to make sure you have it stable, not top heavy, and make sure that whatever it is resting on won't burn.

Tipping over a lit alcohol stove would be very bad. Just need to be a little extra careful with them.

I've pondered getting one for quick hikes. Typically I carry a Coleman Xtreme stove.

#137264 - 06/23/08 12:30 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I use mine inside the cooker part of my Crusader canteen set. The stove has been modified (legs removed). I just set it in the integral cup at the bottom of the cooker (which is for Hexamine fuel I imagine), fill the stove, then pour some fuel in the cup around the stove.

I've never had it not light but the flame is pretty poor at first. Eventually the jets fire and I'm in business.

#137344 - 06/23/08 10:25 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Legs?

Are you using a Vargo or Trangia? My Trangia has no legs, just a nice, flat, cold conduction copper bottom. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137350 - 06/23/08 10:52 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Vargo. I peeled off the legs and pot stand feet/legs so it would work better in my Crusader.

I have a Trangia too but I put it in storage because it won't fit in the Crusader.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.