The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#136989 - 06/21/08 05:15 AM General purpose survival pouch
priest Offline
Stranger

Hi folks.

This is my mini-general purpose survival pouch. It is designed to be carried on my person at all times while out and about. I carry more stuff in a backpack as required, but this stays in a pants/shorts pocket no matter what.

These are the contents:

Fire
. 12 Mariner wind /waterproof matches w/striker strip
• 5 spark lite tinder
• Spark lite

Shelter

Space blanket (84 x 52 inch)

Signaling and navigating
• Survival whistle
• Signal mirror
• Trail tape, yellow x 6 feet
• Button compass

Food and water procurement
• Tin foil, 2 x 3 foot sheets
• Water purification tablets x 12(micro-pur MP1)
• Ziploc bag
• Mini Fishing kit(in plastic case)

Fishing kit contents include:
A. 25 feet 0f 20 lb test line(wrapped around credit card)
B. Assorted plain hooks x 4(1 large for small gaff)
C. Assorted split shot x 4
D. Assorted Snap swivels x 2
E. 1 hook with spinner

Medical

• 1 extra large band-aid
• 4 large cloth band-aids
• 2 antiseptic pads

Miscellaneous

• Para cord x 6 feet(5 strand)
• Wire x 10 feet (wrapped around credit card)
• Safety pins x 4
• Mini golf Pencil
• Large sewing needle
• Sheets of write in the rain paper x 4
• Survival instruction card
• 6 feet of orange duct tape(wrapped around credit card)
• Mini roll of thread

All the items are secured in mini zip bags to keep as dry as possible. In total, it has a Weight of 200 gr. It measures 6 x 2 x 4.5 inches. It is a bit tight, but it will fit into a front jeans pocket. I labeled the little bags in such a way that anyone, even a kid could grab it and know what each item does. (I may be the one hurt after all) This is how it looks in the little labled bags:

And this is in its closed state with a SAK as a size reference. It has a belt loop but I really wanted it to fit in a pants pocket so I will always have it.

I was thinking on tweeking it a bit. I may try to make it a little bit smaller by dumping the fishing kit and a few other items. I only intended it to be a short term type of kit and not something designed to keep me going long term. I carry it with my multi-tool and a small flashlight when biking or trail jogging or fishing. On extended trips it stays in a pants pocket and is used as a supplement to my camping or hunting gear. I tend to go light when possible, and although it
is good to have some survival gear I tend not to go overboard with it. Maybe I should just leave it as is?

Thoughts or comments please.

Stephen W Priest

#136990 - 06/21/08 05:23 AM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: priest]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Great job!! As this is one of your first post I would like to Welcome you to ETS Forums and Hope you learn a lot and that we can learn a lot from you! This is really a great kit and I agree maybe drop the fishing kit, or just make it a bit smaller, im sure others with disagree with that however. And maybe, if it fits, more medical supplies, but Im sure you want to post your First Aid Kit

again

Welcome Newguy

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#137001 - 06/21/08 11:34 AM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: climberslacker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Looks good priest. Labeling all the bags with contents is a fantastic idea. I've never seen it done quite like that before.

My kit is very similar only I use a hard, waterproof case and leave the space blanket as optional.

#137004 - 06/21/08 11:57 AM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: climberslacker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I agree with climberslacker, great post and nice kit, thanks!

I suggest considering how this kit is to be used: what environment and situations we want the kit to address. The kinds of questions we might want to ask include: is it to fit every environment and situation? is it a wilderness kit? is it an urban kit?

Then we can examine kit contents against: (1) the Rule of Threes (you may die if you go: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food); (2) whatever set of survival categories you find appropriate (mine include: First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light. Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale); and (3) your other EDC.

I suggest working to set up a mini-survival checklist, preferably a computer spreadsheet.

#137005 - 06/21/08 12:05 PM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: priest]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My DD2 uses Maxalt for Migraine headaches and she recently gave me several of the plastic carrying cases that the Maxalt comes in.

If you can find some of these, I think you'll find them very handy for fishing kits, a very small FAK, etc. These are molded on round side so as to fit in a pants pocket (cargo?) and look like they would be good against rain but would probably leak if held underwater.

I am incorporating them into my PSK and will post later when I've tried them out.

#137010 - 06/21/08 01:31 PM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: priest]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Priest,

Nice Kit and Welcome to ETS Forum, this is a fun place where everyone can learn from each other.

Mike

#137019 - 06/21/08 04:25 PM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: SwampDonkey]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

welcome. I'd add that the fishing kit is un-necessary. Up the first aid items - more band-aids, Tylenol and add pepto tabs. No need for the space blanket or signal mirror. add cash.

teacher

#137030 - 06/21/08 05:53 PM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: TeacherRO]
priest Offline
Stranger

Thank you for the welcome folks.

I will try to answer some questions.

Quote:
more medical supplies

I carry this pouch as part of a bigger system. I have a separate medical kit which I can take if needed. I will try to post it all together sometime.

Quote:
I use a hard, waterproof case

I wish I could find one that fits into my pocket comfortably. Any ideas?

Quote:
what environment and situations we want the kit to address. The kinds of questions we might want to ask include: is it to fit every environment and situation? is it a wilderness kit? is it an urban kit?

This kit is just to have in my pocket while hiking, hunting or during small day trips while biking trails or things of that nature. On two different ocassions I have had to ditch my main pack and was left at the mercy of what I had in my pockets.(long story) Afterwards I put this together so I would have something to work with if I can't get to my main stash of gear.. I did not intend to use it in an urban setting, so it is a wilderness kit. Please note that this is not all that I have with me in the woods by any stretch, This is what never leaves my side, even if I am only walking 100 M into the brush from the main biv. I carry all the other stuff(shelter, tinder,cookware,stove, med kit) etc etc in my pack.

Quote:
DD2

I am sorry folks. I dont surf fourms much, I don't know a lot of the lingo yet. What does DD2 stand for? wife or kid I assume.

Quote:
I'd add that the fishing kit is un-necessary. Up the first aid items - more band-aids, Tylenol and add pepto tabs. No need for the space blanket or signal mirror. add cash.

I have been playing around with kits for years and I have always had a few hooks and line. The other day it occured to me that these are items I have never used. It just feels wierd to have a kit with no hooks though. I am sure I will dump them. I keep the tablets in a separate kit in my pack as they(to me)are not totally essential to keep on my person. Just curious though, why would I drop the mirror and space blanket? What use would cash have in a survival pouch?

#137039 - 06/21/08 07:41 PM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: priest]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Welcome new guy!

>25 feet 0f 20 lb test line(wrapped around credit card)
>Mini roll of thread

I'd replace these both with either a sewing bobbin of something like 20 pound braided specrta fishline or kelar thread that will fill both rolls, or much less expensively a spool of dental floss.

And if this kit is for on the blacktop EDC, I'd drop the fishing items. If this is going off the black top or in a rural area and it is an EDC item, I'd keep them, even in the desert. The one thing I'd take out is the lure- a little bit of tin foil seems to work just as well, or a couple of sequines. :P Or maybe the fish around here are just hungry and stupid.

But in any case, another needle or two. They don't take up any space or mass, and if you drop your ONE NEEDLE, in my experince you spend 20 minutes hunting in the grass and leaves for it, and you still don't find it in the second or third 20 minute block of hunting. :P

>Medical

If you can, try to get a couple of gauze pads, or a maxi pad, in here.

I might have go with a smaller whistle, but that is personal call. The only other thing I can think to add is to gather it all up in a freezer bag, then another, and add a couple of water purification tabs.

All in all, a good little kit- I like it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137269 - 06/23/08 01:20 PM Re: General purpose survival pouch [Re: ironraven]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Nice kit

I'd be tempted to add:

A few OTC meds (esp an anti-spasmodic and an antihistamine) - a couple of tablets can make all the difference in a crisis. I like some NSAIDs as well, but those are in the big kit I presume.

A light of some kind e.g photon

A blade of some kind e.g. mini sak, boker subcom, whatever

Again, I'm sure you are carrying these, but a bit of redundancy and being sure they are with you at all times might be worth considering

Also, I'm tending to think that a disposable poncho is more useful thatn a space blanket in some scenarios, but that's a personal choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.