Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137040 - 06/21/08 07:41 PM Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear attack
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

I sure as hell don't want to end up as a crispy critter in the event of a nuclear "false-flag" attack. Some of you already have a shelter that you can run to. The rest of us will have to improvise a shelter as best we can out of whatever materials we can can muster. Cresson Kearney, the author of "Nuclear Survival Skills," advises digging a trench underneath a car and then duck-taping some plastic sheeting around the outside. I like this idea because it is simple, easy, and practical: all it takes is a car and a shovel and a few other materials that most of us will be toting around anyway. Now, a car-over-the-trench shelter isn't going to help very much if you find yourself anywhere near the epicenter of a nuclear blast, but then again, the same is probably true for just about ANY type of shelter that isn't buried deep underground and isn't made out of hardened concrete. The first rule of thumb, then, is that you don't want to find yourself anywhere near the epicenter of a nuclear explosion! OK, but what are you going to do if you suddenly find yourself at a fairly safe distance away from the explosion, which is perhaps a thousand miles or more AWAY from the epicenter, and you learn, thanks to the presence of your emergency radio, that you have only a matter of hours in which to prepare for the inevitable fallout ? It is precisely this kind of scenario that you will need to think about and prepare for. You already know what it takes to survive a nuclear attack because you've read the book about nuclear war survival skills. It isn't going to be a problem to ventilate yourself while inside your shelter because you already have all of the materials you'll need for constructing a hand-held ventilator right in the trunk of your car. You have food, water, a decent gas mask, and all of your bug-out gear.

The only problem is that you'll need a place where you can bug out to !

My own inclination is to pry open a preordained manhole cover and to jump inside with my "bug-out" gear and with a few weeks worth of food and water. I have never pried open a manhole cover, so I really don't know if that would be a suitable place for an improvised fallout shelter or not. Does anyone know ?? I would hate to get arrested by the police for prying open manhole covers.

#137053 - 06/21/08 10:09 PM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear attack [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Many of those covers run a good 400 pounds. Increasingly many, at least the ones they need to get in regularly, are locked. many localities have taken to welding them closed.

This is also what they do when dignitaries are scheduled.

#137055 - 06/21/08 10:38 PM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear attack [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
We seal them shot to prevent terrorist from placing bombs in there. It looks like a clear seal around edges that is easy to spot if broken.

If you are 1000 miles away from an epi center than stay inside and take prescribed dose of KI (potassium iodite) pills. I lived 200 miles from Chernobyl when I was a kid and nobody herded us into the shelter.

#137069 - 06/22/08 12:00 AM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear attack [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You'll need a crowbar to get the manhole open. Close it behind yourself and stay as far away from manholes and openings as you can. If it rains, you'll have contamination problems because of water coming into the drainage system.

It would be better than hiding inside a culvert open at both ends...

#137077 - 06/22/08 12:31 AM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear attack [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Better idea would be to search around local public buildings to see if any are labeled as a certified fallout shelter. I haven’t noticed any around where I live now, but several of the buildings at University of California, Riverside (near where I used to live) had the signs right on the outside of the buildings. One of these buildings may be close enough to you that it takes less time to just get there than to build your own shelter.

#137133 - 06/22/08 01:54 PM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear attack [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Assuming that it is not locked/welded/whatever, those manhole covers are heavy! Getting one open from the top, assuming that you have a proper/workable tool, is difficult, sliding it closed behind you (assuming that you want to do that), would be really really hard. Not like you see in the movies. And once inside, it can be nasty down there...

#137144 - 06/22/08 02:39 PM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear attack [Re: OldBaldGuy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

ant then, you have to find some way to open it up again eventually

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#137153 - 06/22/08 04:18 PM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear at [Re: ]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

If the explosion was 1000 miles away you likely have time to dig a narrow slit trench and cover it over with the earth you dug out. It might be possible to stay in it for several days or more but it wouldn't be comfortable.

#137192 - 06/22/08 09:30 PM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear at [Re: RobertRogers]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
you can also use house doors to put over the trench before you pile dirt on top.

#137194 - 06/22/08 09:35 PM Re: Ducking for cover in the event of a nuclear at [Re: wildman800]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: wildman800
you can also use house doors to put over the trench before you pile dirt on top.

Make sure they are exterior doors. Interior doors have a weight load of precisely squat. I learned that one back in my young days when all of us bike-riding friends decided to use an interior door as a bridge across a six-foot-deep ditch in a dirt field. I was the first and last person to use that bridge. Boy did my friends laugh… which would have really sucked if I was hurt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.