The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#137142 - 06/22/08 02:37 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: ironraven]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I think, as per tinny's video on the subject, I will run mine on straight up heet.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#137150 - 06/22/08 03:19 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: climberslacker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If anybody says they won't light in sub freezing cold don't believe them! I've run mine at -30C. You will need much more fuel however. Priming them in the cold can use a lot off fuel and you'll need longer burn times to boil water.

If you have winter/cold weather in mind, make sure your pot/cup as a lid and get a good windscreen that covers the entire cup so wind can't blow past and steal your heat...and bring more fuel than you think you'll need.

#137152 - 06/22/08 04:14 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: ironraven]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Nice explanation of how you run your stove, Ironraven. I just got a stack of these stoves, and I've test-fired a few just to see that they do start up (using HEET).

Could you describe your priming technique? I got mine lit with no problems, but we're talking sitting in the garage on a summer day - filled via the central cup, and then fired them up with a BBQ lighter. I'd like to know what tips will help me get them going in trickier times. Also, if I'm trying to get them going with full windscreen/etc. while fighting wind and the elements, is there anything else I'll need to know the get them going? Seems like trying to get fire to the cup could be tricky when all the other variables are included, especially when using a Bic or a match.

Also, anyone have experience using the simmer/snuffer lid mentioned in an earlier post? It would be nice to be able to simmer a bit, although I mainly see these as for boiling some water or heating up a can of something.

Thanks

Dave

#137197 - 06/22/08 09:55 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: DaveT]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Don't have a alcohol stove yet but I keep reading that they can be hard to light due to reaching the fuel with a match or lighter?

If so, how would making up a little telescoping match holder work? Solder or wire wrap a small alligator clamp to a broken radio antenna, put the match in the clamp, telescope it right into the stove?

Like I said, I don't own one yet but would that work?

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#137198 - 06/22/08 09:58 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: JohnE]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If you're worried about getting too close you can always just drop the match in and retrieve it after the burner goes out. In fact I think this is the recommended method for Trangias.

#137200 - 06/22/08 10:02 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Just dribble a little extra fuel trail away from the stove and light it.

I do this for my Svea 123 stove to light it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#137208 - 06/22/08 11:21 PM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
duckear Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
What do you think of your alcohol stove and are there any weird things I should know about alcohol stoves?

I don't have an alcohol stove because the fuel is too heavy and because they are also very slow for cooking and boiling water and have virtually zero adjustability in flame control for things like simmering etc. Overall the alcohol stove has no advantages over any other stove technology except possibly economic considerations i.e. its initial purchase price and fuel running costs.

The alcohol stove has numerous advantages.

Weight of fuel is on par with other fuels. Energy per gram of fuel may be less, but the weight of the stove needed to extract the energy from white gas safely is much more.

No moving parts. My MSR Dragonfly is a myriad of bits of plastic, metal and what not. The "repair" kit MSR sells (and I carry) contains as many.

Much less significant flame up risk compared with a pressurized stove.

Spilled fuel evaporates with no residue.

You can always substitute Everclear for your fuel and have options of whether you even want to cook that night, LOL.

Simmer ring works well.

Slow? Yes and no. Much quicker to set up and take down compared to my Dragonfly. I am cooking with my mini-Trangia while my friend is still setting up his stove.

Most hikers just boil water. Why would the Jetboil be so popular if that weren't true? With some exceptions, very little 'real' cooking is done out of backpacks. However, I have baked a biscuit out of my Trangia set many times.

Are alcohol stoves the end all be all stove? No. But for the day hiker that wants a hot lunch or a weekend trip, it is the ticket.

I would suggest you get a quality alcohol stove and use it before you reject them.

#137212 - 06/23/08 12:25 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: duckear]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Are alcohol stoves the end all be all stove?

No the Svea 123 has that spot.

If you are going to get an alcohol stove, I would make it a Trangia. It’s a great stove.

I have also made several alcohol stoves, but none are as good as the Trangia.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#137227 - 06/23/08 01:52 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Biggest problem I have found with alco stoves is lighting them in bright light. You can not see the flames, so don't know for sure it is lite 'til you warm up a pinky....

#137232 - 06/23/08 02:32 AM Re: Alcohol stoves? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Yes, I've used it down to US zero, but the fuel requirement and the babying was a nightmare. I'd rather run a debris stove at that point. But -30 Canada is -20ish US- what did you do to preheat and prime it, I'm very curious. Becuase I love my Trangia, I'd rather run that anything else, but below zero (about -15 or so for you) I've never gotten it to work worth beans. I get a fire in the center, but it won't pressurize and burn at the jets.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.