The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#137204 - 06/22/08 10:47 PM Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question [Re: KG2V]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
polyhexamethylene biguanide, used in mouthwashes, swimming pool sanitizers and contact lens cleaning solution. Kills everything, doesn't hurt people...which is what they told us about pHisohex hand cleaner until folks with large areas of non-intact skin absorbed enough of it to seize, and what they told us about the hard plastic nalgene drinking bottles, and the Ford Pinto...forgive it, just the cynicism of an old, disillusioned nurse. The new kerlix is probably just fine.

#137221 - 06/23/08 01:31 AM Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question [Re: MDinana]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: MDinana
CS, you're looking at gauze rolls, not Kerlix there. Gauze rolls are thin - imagine unfolding a 4x4 so that it's only 1 layer thick, instead of the padded bandage it normally is. That's what a gauze roll is. Kerlix is a fluffier roll of gauze, whereas your budget rolls are "one-ply." Both work to hold bandages on just fine, but kerlix is more absorbant.

I would suspect (although I don't know for a fact) based on the photo that actual Kerlix would be more absorbent than the budget stuff linked to, although both are 6-ply, not one-ply as you suggest.

The budget stuff probably is not prewashed/fluff-dried with finished edges, so it would likely create more loose ends and lint. Probably fine as a secondary dressing for the price, but personally I'd continue to use actual Kerlix (the Kendall brand) for any primary dressing.

I have to admit, the only negative thing I've ever heard regarding Kerlix is the price and/or local availability. There are tons of people selling sealed packages of Kerlix on eBay (from single rolls to multiple cases) and even with shipping charges, the cost per roll is consistently less than a buck.

Jim

#137680 - 06/25/08 11:27 PM Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question [Re: Paragon]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Thanks JIM, I found a guy on ebay selling 40 rolls of kerlix for 10 bucks... to me it sounds kind of suspect, as I am new to ebay... should I go for it?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#137704 - 06/26/08 02:23 AM Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question [Re: climberslacker]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
Should I go for it?

Not without seeing a picture of it, an e-mail from him stating the packages are all sealed (and not covered in an 1/8" of dirt and grime) and a decent positive feedback rating.

You also need to make sure it's the large size (4.5" x 4.1 yds) as they could be Kerlix Lite, small, or medium rolls.

Jim

#137709 - 06/26/08 02:48 AM Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question [Re: Paragon]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

oh, sorry paragon, I was reading a post from JIM on a differnet thread at the same time (tabs in firefox) and put "thanks JIM, instead of " THANKS Paragon!"

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.