Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#137098 - 06/22/08 03:47 AM Re: Fire jar. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I keep all my gear away from fire. What doesn't melt burns or explodes. :P

And I've given some thought to this. If it flares somehow, half the matches are upside down, so it won't be as large an explosion if any. The seal is water proof, and as close to gas tight as I can make it, so any oxygen will get used up fast. And there is padding at either end, there is always long-axis give but very little short-axis, so they are extremely unlikely to go up from a sharp shock. I'm moderately confident that body of the match safe will contain any explosion that MIGHT, SOMEHOW occur, and if it doesn't, it has 8" of gear to go through to get to me, and possibly a pack frame.

And I'll just tell people it is a match safe. The lighter backs that up. If it was something unsocial, it would just be match heads, rather than wasting space like this. This is more a pipe bomb than metal can full of ammunition is. If you are worried about how some self righteous, pompous twit might think of your gear, then let's face it, most of us here could be charged with possession of bugler's tools, or carrying a deadly weapon. (Sorry to our UK members, who already have this issue with EDC.) I'm not going to compromise my gear for what some pencil pushing, drippy nosed bureaucrat thinks. I don't carry this down town, it's in my camping gear.

Which also has liquid and solid fuels, knives, flares, some pretty large quantities of OTC meds that have been repacked, and often ammunition. If someone wants to gig me, I'm SOL, and I know it. But then again, if this is on black top, things would have to be pretty bad. *shrugs*

Edited by ironraven (06/22/08 03:54 AM)
Edit Reason: some donkey lover might take exception to how I refered to bureacrats

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137100 - 06/22/08 03:52 AM Re: Fire jar. [Re: ironraven]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

"something unsocial"-best line ever

So is the square top thing not solid??

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#137102 - 06/22/08 03:55 AM Re: Fire jar. [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Nope, the square bit is a cavity on the inside- more cotton. That is were a plumber would glom onto it with a wrench for more leverage when he has to clean something out.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137103 - 06/22/08 03:58 AM Re: Fire jar. [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

The BOB is in constant flux. *laughs* And right now, it isn't even with me, it's packed in storage. I know, stupid place for it, but my living situation doesn't really support having it with me. If it did, I'd have my rifles with me- roommate situations. The ditch kit lives in my car, with is more secure than my room is.

The ditch kit and a knap sack full of groceries will get me home if I have to walk. Long, cold, wet, uncomfortable, yes, but until fall I should be able to pull it off. By then... I'll be in better shape.

#137107 - 06/22/08 04:11 AM Re: Fire jar. [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Some teflon tape on the threads will help with waterproofness, and should make it a little easier to open...

#137136 - 06/22/08 02:03 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

I teflon tape everything that isn't a water bottle that goes in my gear. This gets three wraps, just to be sure. :P That is what the little blue piece in the second picture is, replacement tape.

#137180 - 06/22/08 08:14 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
One step ahead of me, as usual...

#137186 - 06/22/08 09:05 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: ironraven]
priest Offline
Stranger

Hi Ironraven

A quick question. How does this pipe stand up to the cold? It gets up to -50 in the winter here so the plastic may shatter if dropped. I imagine this type of pipe would hold up well under that kind of cold but I don't know.

I like your design. Very well thought out. I think I may give it a try using the caps that thread on the outside of the pipe. It may make it easier to remove the cap in the cold/wet.

Thanks for the tips

#137199 - 06/22/08 09:59 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: priest]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Seems a bit bulky, may leak if not treated with Teflon tape and I would guess it may be very hard to open up when the caps been on a while and or when your hands are half froze.

I make these homemade fire starters that are completely self contained; they are waterproof, have a striking surface that works on most everything (no need for a lighter or matches to get them going) They burn for several minutes allowing you to get your tinder going, they are easy to make and take up very little space. The only drawback is that they are wax-coated and may get wax on other things if left in a hot car. I solve this problem by keeping them in a zip-lock bag.

Here is a picture that shows one of them, it’s at the bottom of the picture under the stove.

All it takes to make them is some cardboard, strike anyplace matches and an old cooking pan (Goodwill store $2.00) to heat wax in to dip the cardboard in.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#137205 - 06/22/08 11:15 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: ironraven]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
[quote=ironraven] The seal is water proof, and as close to gas tight as I can make it, so any oxygen will get used up fast)

Gas tight may not help.
Chemistry is not my strong suit, but, as I understand it, the reason match heads (and gunpowder) work in pipe bombs (and gun chambers) is that they don't rely on atmospheric oxygen, they generate their own oxygen by breaking down potassium chlorate or potassium nitrate. The likelihood of ignition is small to be sure; but if it does ignite, the combination of matches and butane will probably make a big boom. Butane lighters apparently explode, but are pretty well-engineered, or we would be constantly surrounded by human torches-and that is probably true of match safes, too.

reference: http://nobel.scas.bcit.ca/resource/glossary/s-z.htm

http://www.chemaxx.com/butane_lighter3.htm

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.