The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#137795 - 06/26/08 04:54 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: Evan]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Excellent thought. This is perhaps the ideal match safe and fire-suppression grenade: it can be thrown into a conflagration, detonate, and spread fire suppressing bicarb, as well as provide enough fire creation supplies for maybe 300 camp fires.
(I attempted a google search to see how many fires a butane lighter will light. Came up dry, but discovered a guide to fire shaving: http://www.instructables.com/id/Fire-Shaving/?comments=all)-Blast, have you experimented (intentionally) with hair-removal by flame or explosion?

#137809 - 06/26/08 05:38 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Fire shaving. Brings a whole new meaning to the term "razor burn"...

#137831 - 06/26/08 06:56 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: nursemike]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Blast, have you experimented (intentionally) with hair-removal by flame or explosion?

Back in grad school I used to do the demonstrations for the freshmen chemistry class. One demo was displaying ballons containing different gases and having the kids vote on which would give the biggest "boom". The balloons oxygen, nitrogen, helium, hydrogen, and a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. After they'd vote I'd touch a match to the balloon.

Oxygen: pop
Nitrogen: pop
Helium: pop
Hydrogen: POP
Hydrogen + Oxygen: KA-BLAM!!!

The resulting explosion/fireball removed all the hair from my arm and the side of my head. Italso knocked my goggles askew and removed one eyebrow. The campus radio station was in the basement directly below me and the sound of the explosion was broadcasted (not intentionally) throughout the tri-city area.

The next time I did the demo I taped the match to a long stick.

And also used bigger ballonns. grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#137832 - 06/26/08 07:03 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: Blast]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Too bad halon is too toxic... Compress that into the space. ;-)

How about a co2 cartridge?

#137838 - 06/26/08 07:57 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: Mike_H]
Evan Offline
Engineer

Loc: IL
With the addition of highly compressed gas for this project (C02), we can now add fins to the project and turn it into a torpedo. No longer limited to snaring small animals, we can go after Shark, small boats, etc...

#137839 - 06/26/08 08:03 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: Evan]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Evan
With the addition of highly compressed gas for this project (C02), we can now add fins to the project and turn it into a torpedo. No longer limited to snaring small animals, we can go after Shark, small boats, etc...

Now, if that's the plan, then don't we need to pack a strong oxidizer in with but seperated from all of those matches. A small charge at the point of the barrier between the oxidizer and the matches would provide both ignition and all the mixing of the oxidizer with the flammable material.

Blast, this may be something for you to try out. It sounds like it is right up your alley. Although, it had better not be in an alley that you try it. You'll need a big open space, and time to get away.

Edited by Dan_McI (06/26/08 08:14 PM)

#137857 - 06/26/08 10:36 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: Evan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Uhm... yeah... that WOULD be illegal.

*shakes head, grinning* Silly, silly humans.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137863 - 06/26/08 11:41 PM Re: Fire jar. [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm not gonna tell you how I know this, but if you take an oxy-acetylene torch, get a good cutting flame going, tap the tip against a flat piece of steel to snuff the flame, wait a few seconds to let the tip cool, then stick it in the mouth of a baloon, fill baloon, tie it off, put the baloon in a paper sack, put the sack in the middle of an intersecton, set the bag on fire, and run like hell (VERY important), you can break windows on all four corners...

#137867 - 06/27/08 12:03 AM Re: Fire jar. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I'm not gonna tell you how I know this, but if you take an oxy-acetylene torch, get a good cutting flame going, tap the tip against a flat piece of steel to snuff the flame, wait a few seconds to let the tip cool, then stick it in the mouth of a baloon, fill baloon, tie it off, put the baloon in a paper sack, put the sack in the middle of an intersecton, set the bag on fire, and run like hell (VERY important), you can break windows on all four corners...

It sounds like you also had an interesting childhood.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#137869 - 06/27/08 01:05 AM Re: Fire jar. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
clip* the sack in the middle of an intersecton, set the bag on fire, *clip

Oooh...so beautiful. So very, very beautiful...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.