The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#136969 - 06/21/08 12:15 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Stu]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I did the comparison shopping about a year ago and went with the Marlin 70SS Papoose. I found it more "ergonomic" and reliable than AR-7 but still had the factory take-down ability that the Ruger 10-22 lacked. After one hunting season of testing I still like it and often plink with it at the range. There a quite a few threads/posts on the Papoose here at ETS Forum.

Mike

#136979 - 06/21/08 01:30 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Stu]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Welcome priest! Thanks for the advice. Carrying some spare parts and some tools makes perfect sense. I'm sure the parts are light weight and small just like the gun they belong in.

One of the top items on my list is to get to know it inside and out before it ever sees ammo.

Also, the Henry version has a scope rail and the reviews I've read speak fairly well of it's capabilities with a scope. You can't pack it in the stock with a scope unfortunately.

#136984 - 06/21/08 02:22 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: priest]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Welcome to you, priest.

#136992 - 06/21/08 06:08 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: nurit]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The AR 7 survival Rifle is a durable production, if not wholly satisfactory design product; Armalite, Charter Arms, Henry. The problem with jamming has always been from poor magazines. It is my understanding Henry paid attention to this flaw with some better QC.You should still find ammo that your INDIVIDUAL piece likes in terms of feeding reliability and useful field accuracy.And then buy as many 'bricks' with the same production serial ( on the box) as possible, the .22 being like a wine vintage with production runs showing their own qualities. And if you buy a more plebian make, don't be afraid to visually inspect each cartridge like a box of Strike Anywhere matches and do some gleaning.I've known some simple RN lead to show glaring imperfections.Understand what a scope will, and will not do. There was a time ( and still is) when .22 scopes were wretched affairs. Get a decent one, and remember you are getting a faster target acquisition system for relatively short ranges. You don't need, or want anything much over 1- 1.5 true maginification. The takedown system will produce a 'different' carbine everytime you reassemble it. Try making everything you do with it; cleaning,torque on the receiver collet ( mark it like a timing belt in a car and observe any change from wear) and especially your shooting stance and hand position as uniform as possible.And remember, If Sean Connery could knock a helicopter down with his, you can nail the rabbit.

#137034 - 06/21/08 07:24 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
If Sean Connery could knock a helicopter down with his, you can nail the rabbit.

He wounded the guy who was going to toss out the grenade. He didn't kill him with the AR-7; the guy killed himself with the frag. grin

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137074 - 06/22/08 12:15 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The AR-7 comes up in several James Bond movies but Q gets the credit.

#137170 - 06/22/08 07:01 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Stu]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Good luck in NYC! I've a NYS pistol permit, but it is not legal in NYC. Better get it fast, and it's getting harder and harder.

I have no intention of even trying to get the permits in NYC. I'm waiting until my house is finished in Connecticut.

#137172 - 06/22/08 07:04 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: priest]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: priest

P.S long time reader, first time poster

Welcome. Stick around. Post more, please.

#137181 - 06/22/08 08:16 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Dead is dead, no matter how you get there...

#137182 - 06/22/08 08:27 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I've got one of the original Armalite AR7 survival rifles. Just got it a few days ago in fact.

I'd be interested in reading any hints or tips that I can do to improve it's workings, one thing I've already learned and this may apply to the later models, the Charter Arms version in particular, and that is they work better with solid tipped ammunition vs the more common hollow point.

I don't quite get the idea of mounting a scope as it basically defeats the break-down advantage, if I were interested in becoming an assassin, I guess it would make more sense...;^)

I'm not interested in that by the way...really I'm not.

Really...

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.