Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#136832 - 06/19/08 10:10 PM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
red Offline

Another story I read indicated they had a map and were following a river or stream on the map. If I'm hiking in Denali, I'll have a map, compass, Gps, and PLB! Serious country up there!

#136833 - 06/19/08 10:24 PM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'm a big Geko fan ... I only wish it had the high sensitivity receiver so that I could be more sure that I'd get a fix in heavy forest cover.

Even moderate woods will cause my Geko 201 to loose the fix. My GPS 60CSX just laughs at such situations - even giving a strong fix in my basement!!

One thing to remember is that improper use of a magnetic compass (without properly adjusting for magnetic declination) can make a mess of following GPS goto waypoint bearings. Declination can be as much as 20-30 degrees in Alaska. In that case they'd be much better off simply following the GPS's compass tool - whether it has an electronic compass or not.

Of course a Personal Locator Beacon would have made VERY short work of their whole problem. I believe in PLB's. I bought one and carry it with me when out in remotish areas. And of course, even with a PLB one still has to be geared up to be found (signalling) and to survive long enough to get rescued (first aid, shelter, fire, water, ...).

Ken K.

#136835 - 06/19/08 10:38 PM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm not a fan of using a GPS electronic compass (Geko 301) because they use a lot of battery. Much better IMO to watch the compass course as you are walking and use that as a virtual compass. Comparing that course with a mag compass should give you the correct declination to apply if you aren't sure.

IMO the strongest attribute of the Geko family is size; they're small enough to EDC (smaller than many cellphones) but they can give a precise location to a 911 operator if the situation requires.

#136839 - 06/19/08 10:48 PM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: Russ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think Ken meant use the GPS to determine the bearing, then use the magnetic compass to follow that bearing.

Quote:
One thing to remember is that improper use of a magnetic compass (without properly adjusting for magnetic declination) can make a mess of following GPS goto waypoint bearings.

-john

Edited by JohnN (06/19/08 10:51 PM)

#136841 - 06/19/08 10:54 PM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: JohnN]
Russ Offline
Geezer

As a one time thing to determine declination, that can work too. While the GPS internal electronic compass is a magnetic compass, it has a declination table and allows you to select between true North and Magnetic North display. Easier would be to just look at what declination it is using when you select magnetic. It's easy to forget to turn the electronic compass off and then you lose battery life. Another nice thing though is that it's easy to carry a few spare AAA batteries.

Geez, it's been a while since I used that function, forgot a lot and had to turn it on and play with it a bit, going through all the menu options. It's good to be at least minimally familiar with your gear. wink

Edited by Russ (06/20/08 01:03 AM)

#136845 - 06/19/08 11:28 PM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: Russ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm glad that they were found alive.

#136849 - 06/19/08 11:37 PM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: Russ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Russ
As a one time thing to determine declination, that can work too. But it's easy to forget to turn the electronic compass off and then you lose battery life. Another nice thing though is that it's easy to carry a few spare AAA batteries.

Does it need the electronic compass to show bearing? Seems like it could just compute the bearing from one coordinate to another.

I suppose it depends on how they implemented it.

-john

#136852 - 06/20/08 12:26 AM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: KenK]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
One thing to remember is that improper use of a magnetic compass (without properly adjusting for magnetic declination) can make a mess of following GPS goto waypoint bearings. Declination can be as much as 20-30 degrees in Alaska. In that case they'd be much better off simply following the GPS's compass tool - whether it has an electronic compass or not.

I never really use a GPS for the calculation of bearings or azimuths, I only ever use the GPS just to record a positional fix directly associated with the OSGB grid paper map (regarded by myself as cheating, but is definitely useful when the occasional resection is impossible i.e. in a whiteout, fog or darkness and thickly wooded areas) as the navigational azimuths are done using just map and compass work only. The magnetic/grid/true north variance or declination is just calculated or noted prior to compensating for that variance with the azimuths being taken from the paper map directly. The same applies for any visual azimuths made using the compass when this azimuth is transferred to the paper map.

The Garmin Etrex provides a North reference in its firmware using the following types of variance from True North whereby Magnetic North is 5 degrees West and Grid North is 1 degrees West (for OSGB datum) for my current location. A User magnetic declination can also be entered. The GPS can then account for users who are navigating using a normal compass and not having to take into account the magnetic declination. The User of the GPS will of course still have to have an understanding of the difference between True, Magnetic and Grid North actually is. Not knowing that difference and how the GPS is setup in its firmware could cause some considerable error in navigation if a GPS and ordinary compass are used together in conjuction. For example the Etrex GPS might have been setup with a User magnetic/true north declination of say -180 degrees. The GPS may well be telling you to go North whilst your ordinary compass is pointing you South.

Does anyone know if the Etrex calculates the Magnetic/True/Grid North declinations from its own current position and time? The User manual doesn't say how it calculates the North References. This could be critical especially around the north and south magnetic polar regions for producing accurate azimuths from the GPS itself as the magnetic declination will shift rapidly with changes in position and time throughout the year.

Edit - I've just looked up the accuracy of the electronic compass built into the higher spec Garmin models. Accuracy is a stated +-5 degrees. So for many areas in the world relying on the electronic compass is just as pointless as not compensating for the Magnetic/True North declination in the first place.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/20/08 01:12 AM)

#136854 - 06/20/08 12:58 AM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i seem to recall recently reading, here i think, that when lost, contrary to widely-accepted belief, following a river downstream is not necessarily a good idea.

from the ap account:

" They brought a compass and a map but still lost their bearing, mistaking one river for another. They tried to follow the river, but that proved impossible many times, Flantz said. "

in my dayhikes, i've seen many stream dropoffs that would cause me to act like bear grylls, if lost and following a stream downstream. for me, no thanks.

just my $0.02.

#136855 - 06/20/08 01:05 AM Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued [Re: bsmith]
Russ Offline
Geezer

If I got lost I'd be inclined to go to high ground first if only to maybe get my bearings.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.