Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#137189 - 06/22/08 09:21 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: JohnE]
priest Offline
Stranger

Thanks again for the warm welcome folks. I am new to the whole forum thing and didn't plan on staying too long but there is good reading here. It gives me something to do at work until they block this website. grin

I don't have a dedicated survival gun, My survival gun is the one I am taking with me at the time I guess but out of my gun collection I usually end up in the field with my ruger 10/22 the most. As far as redundancy goes there is no other gun out there that I am aware of that you can buy so many aftermarket parts for. It won't break down like a Henry but there are some nice survival stocks available for the Rugers whick don't take up much room in a pack. I think it is possible to buy every part separate and assemble it yourself out of knock off parts without using a single one made buy Ruger.

If anyone wanted the kind of redundancy that Hacksaw was talking about then this rifle would get my vote.

#137231 - 06/23/08 02:19 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: JohnE]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: JohnE
I don't quite get the idea of mounting a scope as it basically defeats the break-down advantage,

The whole reason we put up with the quirks of the design is becuase you can take it apart and put it all in the stock for a nice, neat, compact package. Scope it, and you can't do that so well. Sure you could put the barrel in the stock, but not the action. And with issues involving getting the barrel remounted exactly the same way every time means your point of impact will float relative to your point of aim. Sure, you could drill and tap the action, then make a case for the scope and mount and a couple of screws, but that would be one more thing that changed.

Now, if you want to glass a survival rifle, put a folding stock on an 10/22. Almost as small, more accurate, more reliable, and easier to get parts for. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137248 - 06/23/08 05:16 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
camerono Offline

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
The AR 7 survival Rifle is a durable production, if not wholly satisfactory design product; Armalite, Charter Arms, Henry. The problem with jamming has always been from poor magazines. It is my understanding Henry paid attention to this flaw with some better QC.You should still find ammo that your INDIVIDUAL piece likes in terms of feeding reliability and useful field accuracy.And then buy as many 'bricks' with the same production serial ( on the box) as possible, the .22 being like a wine vintage with production runs showing their own qualities. And if you buy a more plebian make, don't be afraid to visually inspect each cartridge like a box of Strike Anywhere matches and do some gleaning.I've known some simple RN lead to show glaring imperfections.Understand what a scope will, and will not do. There was a time ( and still is) when .22 scopes were wretched affairs. Get a decent one, and remember you are getting a faster target acquisition system for relatively short ranges. You don't need, or want anything much over 1- 1.5 true maginification. The takedown system will produce a 'different' carbine everytime you reassemble it. Try making everything you do with it; cleaning,torque on the receiver collet ( mark it like a timing belt in a car and observe any change from wear) and especially your shooting stance and hand position as uniform as possible.And remember, If Sean Connery could knock a helicopter down with his, you can nail the rabbit.

With all due respect I find it unreasonable to have to try tens of different brands of amuniton and "alterations" to get a firearm to perform at a minimal level. I don't recall reading in the manual that performance is at my own risk. (I already own a slingshot) I expect with the unique nature of this rifle that problems are inharent. ENOUGH SAID I have yet to receive on my (registered) rifle any notice of problems. Is it really too much to expect the AR-7 to feed amunition reliably? Really? How does Henry qualify this?

Edited by cameron2trade (06/23/08 05:30 AM)

#137249 - 06/23/08 05:33 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: camerono]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Just about every semi-auto firearm likes one brand/style/bullet type more than the others. That is why those of us who carry a firearm for serious "social" uses try various ammo 'til we find one that works all of the time, every time. Same with precision target shooters; they play with bullets and powder charges 'til they find the one that shoots best in their particular weapon...

#137250 - 06/23/08 05:39 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
camerono Offline

Agreed that amo can be tricky. Not arguing that. Accuracy is something we all have to put up with. I would just like if the AR-7 fed amo so I could figure out the best brand/type to use.

#137251 - 06/23/08 05:46 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: camerono]
camerono Offline

Sorry don't mean to be cranky. Shoved that sucker in my BOB 6 months ago and decided better than nothing. Have sense acquired a few other items so I am comfortable. Just gears me up to discuss it again. I feel cheated but life goes on. Thanks OBG.

Edited by cameron2trade (06/23/08 05:47 AM)

#137267 - 06/23/08 12:56 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: camerono]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Well Hacksaw, you bought the rifle for its packability and you intnded useage is plinking and hunting small game...... If you were to permantley mount a scope and store in essence a second rifle inside it you will lose one of the factors you originally bought the rifle for. Its packability. I understand redundancy and approve of it, but in this case I don't see it. Maybe if you could get (not sure it being Canada and all) a .22 revolver or a .22 auto pistol you could gain the redundancy you desire. It would allow you to plink and hunt if the rifle fails, and be a more handy defence against smaller predators in your area that the rifle would be able to handle, by being in a pocket/holster and ready to deploy. Unlike the AR-7 if its all packed down.
I would definately pick up the small parts suggested by others for field expedient repair, there very well may be a local gunsmith who would be willing to teach you the ins and outs of your particular rifle. Good luck and happy hunting!

-Bill Liptak

#137268 - 06/23/08 01:16 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: BillLiptak]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Thanks Bill.

Hand guns are restricted. Even if I had the licensing, I'd only ever be able to take them to the range...and only if I had a seperate permit to transport it.

I've been looking online at what's available and it seems the best thing to do (which I can't confirm until it actually gets here) is what many of you have recommended...get some spare parts, learn this particular unit inside and out, then make the best of it even if it's finicky.

The ammo debate seems to be a hot one on the internet too. Everybody has their favorite it seems. One tip I found which makes sense is that they seem to feed jacketed/plated rounds better than just straight lead. Also, there seems to be some agreement that it's the magazines which cause loading problems...if they're not in JUST right, they won't feed very reliably. I've also heard that the Henry rifle and magazines are improved over previous designs.

#137273 - 06/23/08 01:36 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Hacksaw,

I am eager to read your review on the Henry AR-7 rifle, I have "lusted" for one for years but have held off buying because of the reports of functioning troubles. Maybe Henry now has the problems solved.

Mike

#137278 - 06/23/08 01:46 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: camerono]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I feel cheated but life goes on..."

As they say, life's a [censored]. Then you die. Happy plinking..

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.