Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#136916 - 06/20/08 03:12 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: dweste]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My survival rifles are either one of my 98 mausers or a late production SMLE. I tend to reach for my 9.3x62 these days. You may think it's for the big old field proven bullet. Nope, I discovered it can stow several slim jim jerky sticks down the barrel.

#136942 - 06/20/08 06:56 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
camerono Offline

Hacksaw,

As a side note I purchased an AR-7 about a year ago. Took it out a few times and boy what a disappointment. It jams about every 3rd round. I am still looking for the "right" ammunition. I have read that you can file the inside of the barrel where the shell slips up into it and that may help but I am not a gun smith and don't want to mess around with it.

Would be very curious as to your results with it.

For me this is a last resort to anything. I have it in my BOB because It is the only .22 I own but that is the only reason.

I am currently in the market for something better.

cameron2trade

#136945 - 06/20/08 07:10 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: camerono]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: cameron2trade

I am currently in the market for something better.

cameron2trade

Take a serious look at a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 70PSS, the takedown Papoose in stainless.

#136946 - 06/20/08 08:09 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Stu]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
For me, a good back up firearm would be a handgun in the same caliber. It won't do quite the same job as a rifle would, but at least you don't have to pack 2 different sizes of ammunition.
Obviously a larger rifle wouldn't have an easy counterpart in handgun, but if we're talking survival firearms anyway I wouldn't take a large caliber (situation depending of course).
$0.05

#136949 - 06/20/08 08:19 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Nishnabotna]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It would be nice to have that as an option. Canadian law prohibits it unfortunately.

I'm surprised you can buy this one up here but when it comes to .22s and long guns the law seems to flex the most. You can't hunt birds with a shotgun which holds more than 3 shells or own one with a barrel length shorter than 18.5" but you can buy 50 round clips for a .22 with a 16" barrel you can practically fit in your pants...no problem! smile

#136950 - 06/20/08 08:32 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A pistol in the same caliber, .22LR pistol, is what I am looking to buy as soon as I can get the permit. Cheap ammunition, and it's easier to find a range. A number of ranges in my area won't allow you to shoot anything bigger.

#136958 - 06/20/08 10:07 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Dan_McI]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
A pistol in the same caliber, .22LR pistol, is what I am looking to buy as soon as I can get the permit. Cheap ammunition, and it's easier to find a range. A number of ranges in my area won't allow you to shoot anything bigger.

Good luck in NYC! I've a NYS pistol permit, but it is not legal in NYC. Better get it fast, and it's getting harder and harder.

I've 2 combinations in my emergency gear bag, A .357 revolver paired with a .357 lever carbine, and a 9mm semi-auto pistol paired with a 9mm carbine (33 round mags). The long guns give a far better range than the handguns, and use the same ammo. I also have .44mag and .45colt revolver/rifle pairings in my gun safe.

#136961 - 06/20/08 11:07 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, I'm not sure the spare action and barrel for the AR-7 within the stock is all that useful. Then again, putting glass on an AR-7 seems kinda silly as the design is... I won't say flawed, but I will say eccentric. The way the barrel mounts means that your accuracy can fluctuate pretty impressively due to cleaning, or just normal firing. That eccentricity is what allows it to be stowed in the stock, so the idea of having and action barrel stowed in the stock, plus a scoped action mounts seems kinda self defeating in several directions.

However, if you were to get yourself a spare bolt, that might not be bad- I've had to take my AR-7's bolt apart before due to crud getting in there. And I wouldn't carrying it for the intended purpose without a spare bolt pin/handle tucked away with my ammo, and at least one spare magazine. I've had the bolt handle fall out a few times accidentally while taking it apart, and I've retired a few magazines.

Depending on what I'm doing, I might or might not have a revolver in .22 or .38 on me along with a rifle or shotgun, but that is kinda out for Canadians. Carrying two long arms... I wouldn't, unless one was a very specialized item and conditions required it, most of those being tactical in nature. (Sniper with an SMG or carbine for defense, or carrying a shotgun for breaching along with your regular weapon, that kind of thing.)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#136966 - 06/20/08 11:54 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
priest Offline
Stranger

Hi Hacksaw.

I believe in having some spares parts for any gun you take to the field in the form of a spare firing pin, spare return springs(if needed) and a spare mag(s). Other items I include are a good field cleaning kit and the hex keys/screwdrivers needed to change out vital parts and to retighten bipod leg mounts or scope mounts.

If you take care of a gun properly in the field you will never really need more than that to have it stay serviceable and last a very long time. If you can get a gun plumber to mount a weaver type rail to your reciever you can quickly attach or dismount a scope if needed. It is best to leave a scope undisturbed but if you mount it in the same place every time and do not disturb the dial settings you will be plenty accurate for hunting or plinking. This may be an alternative to buying a whole new reciever.

Try the "western gun parts" store in Edmonton and you should find these things for any gun you need.

Just my opinion

P.S long time reader, first time poster

#136968 - 06/20/08 11:58 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: priest]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Welcome to the forum!

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.