Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#217217 - 02/16/11 06:53 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: climberslacker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The edc part of my FAK:

Gloves
meds
bandaids
chapstick ( spf 150

#218408 - 03/04/11 08:11 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: climberslacker]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Here's a couple of photos of the individual FAK I've put together. I've made several of these that get carried in EDC bags and backpacks by myself and my kids. Not as beefy as most the other kits I've seen here, but these are more in line with immediate self-treatment than being prepared to render first aid to the masses.

Here's the entire kit. I find that breast milk bags are just the right size for these small kits, and are more air-tight than any other zip-bag I've used. (I think it was Susan who posted up about using breast milk bags in the Urban EDC forum?).

Here's the contents:

Counter-clockwise from top-left are:
  1. Chemical Cold Compress Pack
  2. 15g Celox Hemostatic Agent
  3. 3" Elastic Bandage
  4. 6 Butterfly Closures
  5. 8 Small Bandage Strips (~ 1/2" x 2")
  6. 1 Surgipad (5"x9")
  7. 2 Absorbent Gauze Pads (3"x3")
  8. 2 Extra-Large Bandage Strips (2"x4")
  9. 8 feet of 1/2" Medical Tape
  10. 6 Large Bandage Strips (~ 1" x 3")
  11. 2 Gauze Dressings (2"x2")
  12. 10 Feet Duct Tape
  13. 4 Alcohol Pads
  14. 2 Antiseptic Wipes
  15. 10 Cotton Swabs
  16. 2 Non-Stick Gauze Pads (3"x4")
  17. 2 Tongue Depressors
  18. 2 Pairs Nitrile Gloves
  19. OTC Meds Pack, including
    + 12 Ibuprofen
    + 12 Acetaminophen
    + 08 Loperamide
    + 08 Diphen Antihistamine
  20. 2 Antibiotic Ointment Packets
  21. Emergency Conditions and Contacts Card (not shown)
I elected to not put anything in the kit that would cause me trouble going through building or airport security, and also to not duplicate things that would always be elsewhere in my bag/pack or on my person. For example, a SAK Classic is on my key-ring so I have a small knife, scissors, tweezers and toothpick. Also on my key-ring is a small pen and Maratac AAA flashlight.

Without the Celox, the kit costs about $12 in materials (actual cost is around $30, but most packages of gauze, bandages, etc contain sufficient quantities to make 3 or 4 separate kits). The Celox adds another $18 to the price, but if it works as advertised, is well worth the price.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for improvement.

#219089 - 03/14/11 02:44 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: climberslacker]
juhirvon Offline

This is the kit I throw in the backpack. There's a whole cupboard of medical stuff at home, but it's not really a kit.

Contents:
1. Medicine - 12 Ibuprofen pain meds (8x 400 mg, 4x 1000 mg), 6x Paracetamol pain meds (600 mg), 8 allergy meds, 12 diarrhoea meds, 8 iodine pills (water purification/sterilisation with 2 pills per litre), 4 pills for motion sickness, 6 pills medical carbon (for food poisoning, diarrhoea).
2. All medication is stored in plastic container (originally a bicycle repair kit container) with 3 metres of 1 cm wide duct tape wrapped around it.
3. Thermometer - small quicksilver type (not pictured).
4. Button napkins - Two button napkins. Small hard buttons that turn into synthetic absorbent wound dressings.
5. Alcohol hand sterilizer gel - A small bottle of hand sterilizer. It can also do double duty as fire starter.
6. Bandages - 2x 10 cm wide bandages (you’re meant to cut as wide a one as you need), plus another one already cut to typical sizes.
7. Wound sterilizing liquid - Small vial of sterilising liquid. Either directly on tools and skin prior to incision, or delude for use in wounds. I’ve been trying to figure out alternatives as this one reacts with some soaps, causing acrid smell (which can’t be healthy).
8. Soap - Small bar of soap. Just add water.
9. Wound dressings - Three small self-adhesive wound dressings (7,5 x 5 cm) and two 6 x 10 cm self-adhesive wound dressings, and one 10 x 10 cm self-adhesive wound dressing. Sterile.
10. 12 butterfly sutures - Sterile medium size butterfly sutures.
11. First field dressing - Past expiration date but the small coloured square indicates it’s still sterile.
12. Gauze dressing - Sterile package, 8 roll
13. Cotton wipes - 4 sterile cotton wipes (not in single-serving packages, so after using one the rest are clean but not sterile).
14. Sterile wound wipes - 4 single serving wipes, iodine based.
15. Skin tape - Two different types (wider, water resistant, narrower, more breathable) 2-3 metres each.
16. Mylar space blanket - Can be used to help patient warm up, but also as quick clean area for a patient to lie on, as rain cover and so on. This is the most seasonal item I have. I always carry some plastic sheeting, for above mentioned reasons, but if you get the really thin one they sell for covering furniture when painting, you can fit the same size sheet of plastic will fit into about half the space. That would leave enough room for for example DEET insect repellant, tick remover tool, anti-fungal foot powder, tube of temporary dental filler or extra meds. Depending on destination and season.
17. Lip balm (not pictured)
18. Tiger balm - A tiny tiny tin full of the ultimate pungent ointment. Useful as insect repellant, for insect bites, muscle aches, sore throat, keeping your nostrils open and eyes watering and if you believe the Chinese salesman, for everything else short of immortality.
19. Scalpel - A sterile disposable scalpel
20. Razor blade - Two edged razor blade.
21. Two needles (straight and curved) and thread - Hopefully not ever used for suturing, but it’s there if needed.
22. Tweezers - Good quality metal tweezers. Not that strong but enough for pulling most stringers, bits of gravel and wood splinters out from any wound.
23. Scissors - Simple stainless steel scissors. I’ve been meaning to sharpen one of the tips so you’d still have the safety scissor half as well as a sharp tip if you need one.
24. Safety pins - 10 in total, of a few different sizes.
25. Disposable lighter - For warmth (lighting candles/fires), quick illumination (checking pupils for example), sterilising tools and whatnot.
26. Light stick - A cheap light stick. The current models a white 8-12 hour variety. I used to carry one of those “super bright 30-minute white” sticks, figuring I’d need more light for the critical first half an hour, rather than barely adequate light for the night. That is until I first had to treat a bad cut in dark wood. By the time I got the wound cleaned enough to start suturing, the light stick was barely visible. You could always carry a headlamp or a flashlight, but that would be cheating, wouldn’t it.

jh

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.