Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#136685 - 06/19/08 12:24 AM Paradigm shift
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
DD1 expresses interest in marksmanship. She's 10.

Retired NCO (non commissioned officer--me) decides, based on previous training, to provide DD1 with air rifle & training.

DW (or D@!, depending on key/finger posisition, or attiude) argues that DD1 should learn 1) to throw a rock first (accurately) --to which I grumped, area vs. fixed target?, and to , then, learn the bow.

To me, this is back-asswards. In the military, rifle was first, followed by machine-gun, followed by pistol. In rare instances, we were trained in rocks.

It is arguable that rifles are easy to use, and rocks, difficult.

Should I train DD1 in rocks, first? Move on to flat trajectory?

#136690 - 06/19/08 12:49 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: NeighborBill]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I would think: rocks, slingshot, sling, Bow & arrows, BB gun & knife, pellet rifle & sword, .22cal rifle/.22cal pistol & start Martial Arts, .410ga shotgun, in that order.

THEN start with a M-79 40mm grenade launcher(grenade, willy petes, and buckshot), M-60, BMG .50cal, 20mm Oerlikon, followed by the 25mm Hughes, 40mm single, twin, or quad Bofors, 3".50cal Dahlgren up to the 16".50cal Dahlgren would be the correct order of training.

Ask me and I can tell you where you can find the large calibre stuff to play on.

#136721 - 06/19/08 05:16 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: wildman800]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
If DD1 is a recruit, then rigorous training ala Wildman800.

If DD1 is a beloved volunteer, then find out what she wants and negotiate a short course of study in whatever strikes her fancy. See how it goes, consult with the vounteer, and negotiate a new short course of study. Repeat.

Find a great martial arts instructor who isn't you and support a long term comittment eventually with weapons training options, including archery.

#136732 - 06/19/08 10:41 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: dweste]
CBP Offline
Stranger

I'd go straight for the guns! There are a few kids her age at the gun club and they really enjoy plinking around. The girls tend to shy away from guns a bit more. They are quite wide-eyed about the whole thing. And once peer pressure sets in -- well most girls don't shoot. . . . There are a few girls in the kids archery group as well. I wish I had started at 10 and not my late 30's.

I'm pretty reasonable shot with my guns, but not much of a marksman with a rock. That's because I throw like a girl (and I can say that because I am one).

#136734 - 06/19/08 10:51 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: CBP]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

My first inclination was to go straight to pellet rifles (how does one mount a bayonet on a Crossman?!), this is where I got into trouble with DW. Compared to the lowly rock, a rifle takes less practice (or skill, depending on your point of view) to grasp the fundamentals.

She's insisting that DD1 "prove" her interest in firearms by learning the basics of ballistics (rock, sling, bow, etc) first.

I'm still intrigued by such a course of study. Wildman, I like your syllabus! I'm qualified to teach the majority of the items involved (including sword--foil, epee, sabre), but will probably pass on the automatics for now, as she's 10, but will take her to a heavy weapons shoot to see if she's interested.

Nothing quite like watching a VW bug disentegrate smile

#136736 - 06/19/08 11:05 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: NeighborBill]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Your daughter is interested in something, she wants to learn it. Give her the chance to learn it.

You are basically saying; She wants to learn guitar, should I force her to go through piano lessons first? How would you like it if that was what you were told?

Edited by Dan_McI (06/19/08 03:29 PM)

#136738 - 06/19/08 11:12 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Dan_McI]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
If she wants to shoot a rifle, teach her how to shoot a rifle... Definitely don't scare her away from it by forcing something else.

If she wants to learn more skills, then go from there...

#136763 - 06/19/08 03:23 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: ]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
She asked to learn how to shoot, not to become a weapons expert, much less an MI or an Operative from the Freehold of Grainne.

Let'er try shooting.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#136775 - 06/19/08 03:58 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: thseng]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1 on above - do what she ( your daughter) wants. Pick up the other skills later.

#136786 - 06/19/08 05:06 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I would think: rocks, slingshot, sling, Bow & arrows, BB gun & knife, pellet rifle & sword, .22cal rifle/.22cal pistol & start Martial Arts, .410ga shotgun, in that order.

THEN start with a M-79 40mm grenade launcher(grenade, willy petes, and buckshot), M-60, BMG .50cal, 20mm Oerlikon, followed by the 25mm Hughes, 40mm single, twin, or quad Bofors, 3".50cal Dahlgren up to the 16".50cal Dahlgren would be the correct order of training.

Ask me and I can tell you where you can find the large calibre stuff to play on.

Sounds like a great idea to me! smile

#136788 - 06/19/08 05:12 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Stu]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Teach her to shoot, while she has the interest. The rock, bow, atom bomb can come later. smile

#136790 - 06/19/08 05:18 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: NeighborBill]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Be thankful she is showing an interest. Straight to a .22 rifle, go for maintaining a positive attitude.

#136804 - 06/19/08 06:28 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Russ]
jjmagnum Offline

I started my son at 10 with .22 rifles. He's now going on 13 and a pretty good shot. At 12 he went through the Hunter Safety Class as required by the state and did very well on the test as well as on the range. No doubt in my mind that the lessons at home were of much more value than the few hours of instruction he recieved at the class.

As for rocks, she can learn that skill on her own, little instruction (other than "proper" target identification) is needed.

#136825 - 06/19/08 09:24 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: NeighborBill]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
One of my friends who shot a guy's eye out with his BB gun said he'd never give his kid one - he'd go straight to .22s because kids _will_ play with BB guns but not with .22s. shrug - I see no reason to divide up the training. No reason she can't shoot a gun, throw a rock, and learn a bow and arrow at the same time.

If your daughter has expressed an interest in marksmanship, start with what she's interested in and see how long it lasts. At 10, it may be 15 minutes, then on to violin.

#136828 - 06/19/08 09:44 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: philip]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I'd make sure to add something to the mix that has a fun factor to it. Balloons with baby powder in them is the most obvious. Instant gratification/positive feedback....FUN FUN FUN.

10-year-olds could care less about ballistics, arc-of-travel, BLAH BLAH BLAH. They (either gender) like to see things go POP!!.

Edited by MoBOB (06/19/08 09:45 PM)

#136838 - 06/19/08 10:42 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: NeighborBill]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Skip the rocks.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#136926 - 06/20/08 04:28 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: NeighborBill]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Rule 1: DW is always right.

Rule 2: If you forget rule 1, you will be reminded of it forever.

#136930 - 06/20/08 05:16 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Ron]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Ron

That sounds like someone advising another man to surrender to his wife. If you surrender once, she'll expect it every time.

#136947 - 06/20/08 08:13 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Dan_McI]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

That sounds like someone advising another man to surrender to his wife. If you surrender once, she'll expect it every time.

You say that like it's wrong.

#136951 - 06/20/08 08:40 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Nishnabotna]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

You say that like it's wrong.

That she'll expect it, that's not wrong, but just surrendering, I've seen to many men do it and live lives that were not as happy as the stubborn and onery guys who simply do not surrender. I'd also say that the wives of those stubborn and onery guys also seem to be happier than those wives to whom their husbands had surrendered. If her fury allows her to get her way, you'll simply see her fury more often, imo. IMO, if her fury does her no good, then you are likely to see it less.

That may be well askew of the original topic of this thread, but it may also be a real paradigm shift for some.

Edited by Dan_McI (06/20/08 08:46 PM)

#136963 - 06/20/08 11:35 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Dan_McI]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sheesh. Y'all don't seem to be up on proper handling.

The Japanese method: Nod and smile, while saying "yes". The aggressor always takes that to mean your agreeing. When in fact "yes" is a just a admitting to hearing what they are saying. Always agree but leave the agreement provisional. Never contradict. Always phrase any possible disagreement as "Yes, but...".

Also there is the classic American variation: "Yes dear". Once again the "yes" means that your listening.

When the admiral speaks you stop whatever your doing, look her in the eyes, pay attention. Women need attention but in return they can often thrive on just being listened to and taken seriously. After she has said her piece give her a smart "Yes" and do what you were going to do anyway.

I thought everyone knew those rules.

#136987 - 06/21/08 04:15 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Art_in_FL]
Angel Offline

Here's an interesting idea. Why not treat women like people.

#137016 - 06/21/08 04:11 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Angel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Ive seen DW and DD mentioned many times. What do they stand for?

Jeanette Isabelle

#137017 - 06/21/08 04:11 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Angel]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Angel

That works for me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#137022 - 06/21/08 04:31 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Darling Wife & Darling Daughter

#137023 - 06/21/08 04:32 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Always have treated women like "people" since by definition that's what they are....

Heck, I even treat men and dogs like people.

Cats, no.

#137027 - 06/21/08 05:28 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Angel]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I'm all for equality, but one can certainly see that men and women play by different rules during arguments.

#137043 - 06/21/08 07:54 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Mike_H]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I can honestly say, through experience, that I have learned that different people argue in different ways. It ranges from a female friend of mine who can argue me into the floor using pure logic any day (I really do like her!) to an ex-girlfriend who can argue herself in circles without any outside help from me (I really don’t like her!). To each their own.

#137051 - 06/21/08 09:19 PM Mau-Mau [Re: JCWohlschlag]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

I still hold by the definition of "people" that does not include cats.

Blast, no disrespect to Oz, but I'm not a big fan.

Causes me no end of grief with the DW/DD coalition, but I was actually relieved when one of the "outside kitties" expired.

I'm not a cold person, I paid to have this kitty spayed (& her offspring neutered) , kept her fed, warm in the winter, fed her kids and kept them the same; but, we have our own beloved pets.

It's oft been said that dogs have owners, and cats have staff...I am not a staff person, I guess.

Current Pet-O-Phile: 2 inside cats (one from northern Cali and one from okie land), dog (breed: attention hound), fish (multiple varieties), and a rat named "hamster".

didn't mean to ramble...but I guess I do miss Mau.

#137078 - 06/22/08 12:35 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Unfortunately, in this country atleast, the tendency seems to be for women to treat men as animals who need to be trained. While men treat women as volcano goddess who must be placated but generally ignored. I'd say whatever works for people, but based on what I see on TV, I really doubt it works for anyone.

#137087 - 06/22/08 01:19 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: AROTC]
Angel Offline

Probably not the best idea to base anything on what's on TV. Not sure where you live but where I live we treat others as we would want to be treated. We don't have a need to dominate anyone. We help each other, and by that I mean we do what needs to be done without assigning gender to each task or keeping score.

#137090 - 06/22/08 02:55 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Angel]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Sounds like a good way to live. I hope I didn't lead you to believe I base either my life or views of other people's lives on TV. My theory though is that if I see a concept on a sitcom or the news, its probably not a successful strategy. On the topic of TV, you do have to wonder how much of TV is art imitating life, or just as scary how much of life is starting to imitate art.

#137094 - 06/22/08 03:31 AM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: AROTC]
Angel Offline

I don't really spend alot of time watching tv. Seems like a big waste of time. I'd much rather experience life for myself rather than watch someone elses concept of it.

#137141 - 06/22/08 02:36 PM Re: Mau-Mau [Re: NeighborBill]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

The creepiest thing happened yesterday regarding my missing cat. We assumed she was killed by a big tomcat that's been beating up all of the outside kitties. She'd been gone for days and we'd written her off. Right after I posted the message about her, I went outside to get some tomatoes from the garden...and there she was. Not a scratch on her.

Not a dry eye in the house after that.

Anywho, thank you, kitty guardian angels.

#137149 - 06/22/08 03:16 PM Re: Mau-Mau [Re: NeighborBill]
Angel Offline

I'm glad your kitty came home safe. Sometimes they just need a vacation. I think they take little trips like that just to check out what the neighbors are feeding their cats.

#137167 - 06/22/08 06:35 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Angel]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Angel

I think I do.

Isn't what was discussed people skills?

I really don't think that men or women often want all the things they say they want. We want others to set limits for us, and others want us to set limits for them. Which is why I would never tell a amn to surrenderall to his wife.

Edited by Dan_McI (06/22/08 06:40 PM)

#137173 - 06/22/08 07:38 PM Re: Paradigm shift [Re: Dan_McI]
Angel Offline

I will not allow limits set on me by anyone,no exceptions.I'm not about to let someone else decide what it takes to be me. I also don't want to be responsible for anyone elses life. If your an adult then you know what the limits are. IMO, No one should surrender to anyone else unless thats what they want to do, in which case, I don't see it as surrendering so much as I see it as just agreeing.

#137219 - 06/23/08 01:15 AM Re: Mau-Mau [Re: NeighborBill]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: billy.guttery
The creepiest thing happened yesterday regarding my missing cat. We assumed she was killed by a big tomcat that's been beating up all of the outside kitties. She'd been gone for days and we'd written her off. Right after I posted the message about her, I went outside to get some tomatoes from the garden...and there she was. Not a scratch on her.

That is good to hear. I don't know the age of your cat; if she is still around when she dies, you can give her a proper memorial. I regret not being able to do that for Sunset when she disappeared in November.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 427 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.