Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#136637 - 06/18/08 07:38 PM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: philip]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: philip
>
There are several scenarios which have different likelihoods. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area on a peninsula. If I can't go south, I'm stuck. There are two major roads to the south. The one nearest me (a block away in fact) is covered in overpasses, so if they drop in an earthquake, that road can't be used.

I have a question for anyone who has lived through a quake scenario with collapsed overpasses - are the roads they overpass actually out of use?

I'm more familiar with overpass situations that come from temporary impassability - the overpass gets hit by an oversize truck, and has to be repaired. When the overpass goes 'down', traffic is re-routed and still viable over the offramp and onramp to either side. In other words, you still can travel a roadway with downed overpasses by exiting and re-entering at each downed overpass.

I-90 in western Washington headed up to Snoqualmie Pass answers this description - except for one overpass that lacks an onramp continuing East. Which scotches any mass evacuation plans to Eastern Washington after a serious shake (assuming the I-90 summit bridges survive).

#136651 - 06/18/08 08:32 PM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: Lono]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Lono
I have a question for anyone who has lived through a quake scenario with collapsed overpasses - are the roads they overpass actually out of use?

It really depends. The example you give is the best case scenario, where there is an on/off ramp that you can use to drive around the blocked section of freeway. But you can't always count on on/off ramps being close by or surface streets nearby that can detour around the problem.

There was a tunnel fire on the I-5 north of the LA area a couple months ago, which is the primary north-south freeway linking northern and southern California and basically goes up the middle of the state. People had to drive way, way out of their way to bypass that fire, either going all the way around over the high desert to the east, or up the coast instead. If the tunnel fire had been associated with a major earthquake and fire crews and repair crews were tied up elsewhere, there's no telling how much fire damage would've been done to the tunnel or how long it would take to repair and reopen.

Or look at the Bay Bridge collapse at the '89 quake. No easy way around that.

#136670 - 06/18/08 10:18 PM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: Arney]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Arney

There was a tunnel fire on the I-5 north of the LA area a couple months ago, which is the primary north-south freeway linking northern and southern California and basically goes up the middle of the state. People had to drive way, way out of their way to bypass that fire, either going all the way around over the high desert to the east, or up the coast instead. If the tunnel fire had been associated with a major earthquake and fire crews and repair crews were tied up elsewhere, there's no telling how much fire damage would've been done to the tunnel or how long it would take to repair and reopen.

Just to piggy back on this, for those unfamiliar with CA geography, if I-5 is out, you have A) Pacific Coast Highway or Hwy 101, runs along the N/S axis of the state, or I-395, along the east border. Really, that's it in terms of major routes. And there's very little E/W connectors that aren't local routes. No major East west freeways between Los Angeles (maybe Santa Barbara) and the San Jose/Sacramento areas.

So basically, like it was said, it depends. If a big one hits SF or LA, there's probably easy ways around it. If you take out central California, you're going to waste lots of time taking dirt roads or one-laners for maybe hundreds of miles to get around things.

Edited by MDinana (06/18/08 10:19 PM)

#136671 - 06/18/08 10:22 PM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: MDinana]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I normally keep 40 gals gas on hand but I'm increasing that to 50 gals since that equals 1 refill for the van and 1 refill for the truck. That gives me about 12 hours of driving time, if I am frugal with the "accelerator".

Today I got another ten gals and thaqt gives me 30 gals at this moment. When I come back home next month, I'll bring that up another 10 gals to 40 gals total.

#136679 - 06/18/08 11:39 PM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: wildman800]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a layered approach. Bobs for the adults in our bedroom, bobs for the kids are spare diaper bags kept in each vehicle and the normal diaper bags. Next layer is our suitcases and the 'pack and play' portable cribs for the kids. Next layer is the gear staged on the shelf in the garage, food, water, portable grill, camping gear, etc.
If something would force us to leave our home its more likely to be localized where we would drive to a nearby hotel so we may use the first couple layers but wouldn't need camping gear and such.

When we bug out to the camp site we will take everything including the kitchen sink

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.