The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#136396 - 06/17/08 01:00 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: BillLiptak]
Buffalohump Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
Thanks Bill...

What do you think of polished knife blade? Will that do in a pinch?

The other thing we can do is make a fire.

Camp fires are verboten in the area due to very high wildfire risk factors, so any signal fires would attract attention pretty fast.

#136397 - 06/17/08 01:06 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Welcome to the forum, buffalohump.

Will you be doing an overnight? under food you mention 4 days but a trip of 2. Will you be camping "sous les belles étoiles", or do you have something else planned?

Let us know if you have any good gear sites. Might be useful info for some here.

#136399 - 06/17/08 01:10 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Buffalohump
I was thinking rope in case someone takes a tumble over the side.

But I guess in that situation you would need something pretty substantial which would definitely push the weight factor up.

I have a 30-40 foot section of paracord I'll shove in to my pack, but it won't be long enough for any serious work.

Well paracord won't be suitable to safe somebody, who went over a cliff, not because of the lenght, but the strenght. Paracord is way to weak. It's only strong enough to support up to 550lbs of STATIC weight. Knots can take out half of the static strenght and shock/dynamic loads on will easily exceed 550lbs.

#136400 - 06/17/08 01:15 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Tjin]
Buffalohump Offline

Agreed.

The paracord will be for other stuff, like pack repair or broken bootlaces or what have you.

I don't think we'll be able to take proper climbing rope.

Mark

#136402 - 06/17/08 01:20 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Stokie]
Buffalohump Offline

Thanks!

Its two nights. First night we spend in a campsite, second night we spend in a cave which is a 12kms hike to reach. So its around 25 kms two ways.

Its not a major march but its a fair whack plus its mid-winter so it will get to around 2 degrees celsius at night.

We will have food for two days but it can be stretched to twice that in an emergency.

As far as gear sites go... this one here is pretty good! Otherwise I mostly do forums similar to this one for good gear info.

Originally Posted By: Stokie
Welcome to the forum, buffalohump.

Will you be doing an overnight? under food you mention 4 days but a trip of 2. Will you be camping "sous les belles étoiles", or do you have something else planned?

Let us know if you have any good gear sites. Might be useful info for some here.

Edited by Buffalohump (06/17/08 01:25 PM)

#136403 - 06/17/08 01:29 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

A polished knife blade can/may work in a pinch....you're talking more about overcomming/adapting a shortcomming rather than planning for an emergency though. People have used cd's and the little hologram on bank cards before with sucess, but again it was crap hits fan, what do I have that I can use vs. IF the crap hits the fan, I have brought along this for just such a purpose.
Not trying to discourage you in the least, it is excellent that you have thought it thru and come up with a "chips are down" solution.
And if you guys bring a portable cd player and some cd's now you know you can use that too wink

-Bill Liptak

#136404 - 06/17/08 01:32 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: BillLiptak]
Buffalohump Offline

I hear ya...

I'll see if I can find a small pocket mirror in the next few days.

Strange, its the one thing our camping stores don't seem to have, they've got pretty much everything else though...

Mark

#136405 - 06/17/08 01:39 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

If weight is a problem with your PSK, I think that I might lose that Ottorbox. They are great containers, but (in my opionion at least), very heavy for their size.

An old CD/DVD can be better than nothing as a signaling mirror. Nowhere as good as the real thing, but much better than nothing. I would not rely on fire/smoke for signalling, too many reasons why you couldn't get one going when needed.

If you really think that you need some "rescue" rope, there are many ropes in the 7mm size that can function as climbing/emergency ropes. Here is just one. You are probably metric, so the size (7.7mm) and weight (38 grams per meter) isn't tooooo heavy.

You mentioned plenty of water, but do you drink it straight from the source, or treat it somehow? I don't really know what "quality is good" means, when it comes to actually drinking it. I don't see you boiling much on an esbit stove, and if fires are a no-no, boiling that way is out also. So, does anyone in your group have a filter of some type?

Have a good trip! Pics are always welcome...

#136406 - 06/17/08 01:40 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Camping in a cave sounds a good place to test out firemaking skills whilst not being too much of a risk.

#136407 - 06/17/08 01:40 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
Angel Offline

You can get a small mirror in a metal compact in the make up dept of most stores. They are really light and take up almost no room and you could keep a small sewing kit or fishing kit in them. they are real handy and pretty durable. It would also be great for keeping water purification tablets in.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.