Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#136505 - 06/17/08 11:10 PM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: wildman800]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Good call LED. Modularization is something I always try to do. The trouble lately with modularizing my gear is where to put the 'modules'. If I leave any more kits around the house, the DW will kill me wink

In this context though I think it would work...I've done similar planning with my backpacking stuff.

#136507 - 06/18/08 12:00 AM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: Arney]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My experiences have taught me that the best bugging out plan includes a destination and backup transportation modes.

I have 4 places to Bug Out/In to: 1) Set up a shelter in my garage in the event of a Chemical, Biological, or Nuclear incident/accident or if the rest of my home is damaged. 2) Relatives who live approx 35 miles away in a small village. 3) A friend's land which includes an old coal mine in the mountains about 350 miles away. 4) A friend's land/home beyond the mountains, in the country, approx 12 hrs away.

My transportation plans are:
1) Primary Vehicles - a van and a truck (with sufficient fuel to refill the tanks once/approx 12hrs driving time). We can carry maximum food, water, fuel, manuals, weapons, & misc. equipment.
2) Secondary Vehicles - Bicycles (still getting them outfitted properly, including trailers). We can carry 2 weapons per person, extra food, Some specific medical equipment, BoB's.
3) Tertiary Vehicles - walking/hiking with BoB's. We can carry 2 weapons per person and BoB's.

Things can and most likely will occur during such a journey (Bugging Out/In) that can cause you to have to leave your Primary and/or Secondary vehicles behind. I believe that to succeed in the survival equations, multiple options must be created in the event that those options are needed.

When setting up a base camp; I've usually decided beforehand that I will be creating a basecamp. Just as I set up a temporary camp, I take care of the obvious needs first - shelter, latrine, fire pit, and a fire screen, and perimeter security, if I deem it is needed. Over the days that I am in this base camp, I'll address improvements (Wind shields, privacy shields around the latrine, perimeter security, scouting for additional food sources, etc). Over time, I'll get some live traps and cages built for rabbits and possibly other critters (you never know when you might come across a maverick, or a stray goat, sheep, etc.). The long and short of it all is, I'll be constantly improving my surroundings and means to live. I will usually leave a base camp with more assets than what I had had upon my arrival.

#136511 - 06/18/08 01:22 AM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: climberslacker]
FRERAD1776 Offline

With the kids and heavy gear I would look to a large wheeled deer carrier.

I've used them to carry 200+ lbs of venison.

You will be a lot less tired than lugging two heavy packs.

#136528 - 06/18/08 03:41 AM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: Blast]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> My family loves to camp and is good at it, but in 99% of the bug-out
> situations I can imagine we are either heading to a hotel or the home
> of a friend/family member.

My wife and I were in New Mexico when the Rodeo/Chedeski fires were raging. There wasn't a motel room to be had for miles and miles - all the people who were evacuated were already in all the motels. Personally, in my location I don't bet on being able to get a room in a day's drive anywhere. Other people's mileages will vary, of course.

#136530 - 06/18/08 03:52 AM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: ]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Then I thought: "What if the plan isn't to get as far away as possible?
> What if the plan is to get a little ways off then just wait out the 'storm'?".

There are several scenarios which have different likelihoods. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area on a peninsula. If I can't go south, I'm stuck. There are two major roads to the south. The one nearest me (a block away in fact) is covered in overpasses, so if they drop in an earthquake, that road can't be used. The other major road is a long way off and may be inaccessible for a number of reasons, including overpasses and other structural damage. My plan is to survive in place in the event of a major earthquake. Earthquakes are not 'leaving fast' events. It happens and either you _can_ leave or you can't. It's after the fact, though.

The other major issue is fire, and we'd be stuck in serious traffic, given our geography, but evacuation would be a necessity if our town were on fire. We're downwind of downtown and the mountains where fires are likely. But we could go north, depending on wind conditions, in addition to south. Fire would be the 'leaving fast' event.

Flooding is possible, but not as big a problem as the mountains are in walking distance if we have time, biking distance if speed is necessary and cars are blocking the streets.

What else is there that's a likelihood. I don't live in an area that would be a reasonable target for terrorism. There is a possibility of a train wreck or truck wreck that would release chemicals with fumes, but shelter in place with duct tape might be workable, and such accidents are localized. Hazmat release could be 'leaving fast' events or shelter in place events, depending.

In my area there's no place to have a stash, no place to have a base camp other than our condo parking lot.

There's a lot to think about, but I'm not sure how generalized the various scenarios would be. I'm in an area where there is limited mobility, yet with limited space for stashes and the like.

#136532 - 06/18/08 04:14 AM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: wildman800]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: wildman800

2) Of all of the ways and means to leave the City, using your own boat is the most viable and would be the quickest for an escape and if it has quarters onboard, you've your own motel room/camper with you.

That is, if someone else doesn't get to your boat first. On the other hand, I'm not sure lots of people would realize the benefits of heading for deeper water. Either way, a low profile would be the way to go to avoid uninvited "guests."

#136536 - 06/18/08 04:56 AM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: LED]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Whether your survival retreat is a base camp, boat, or coal mine, the same concepts remain useful. Use your EDC and BOB to get there, with re-supply staches on route if necessary. Being able to use your vehicle and re-supply from your vehicle kit is a bonus. Stock your survival retreat with long-term, sustainable technologies, etc.

#136537 - 06/18/08 04:58 AM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We are too old and worn out to do any on-foot bugging, and I have never been a big fan of buggin' out anyway. Given our life style, living in an RV, and moving to a different part of the country every five or six months, there is no way we could plan a bug out anyway. We keep tent camping gear, cooking gear, and several days worth of food, plus a few gallons of water, in our P/U, so if we should get stuck anywhere for whatever reason, we could hopefully survive a few days in relative comfort. Other than that, our home on wheels is our "bug out" vehicle. Also our "bug in" vehicle...

#136563 - 06/18/08 12:12 PM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

OBG, you are already a nomad.

With luck your EDC can always get you to your RV, which, as you say, you can use to bug-out or bug-in, or to your vehicle and its kit as an alternate for bugging out.

If the roads are not available or your vehicle is disabled, and bugging-in stops being a viable alternative, you are looking at a BOB situation. If your vehicle becomes disabled or blocked while you are bugging-out, then you are looking at a BOB situation.

Maybe add powered or unpowered cycles mounted on your vehicle, with BOB appropriate to cycles, to the repertoire?

And now you face a new "nomad v. base camp" choice.

Edited by dweste (06/18/08 12:59 PM)

#136568 - 06/18/08 01:14 PM Re: Bugging Out: The Nomad vs Base Camp [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I understand correctly, the "base camp" concept discussed in this thread is just what I think of as a "survival retreat" by another name.

The dfferences are that the base camp:

(1) uses camping out gear as opposed to a home, cave, or more traditional, durable dwelling choice, and

(2) as discussed in this thread seems to assume the base camp will be set up within the 72 hour, plus or minus, walking range for which I understand a BOB is usually designed.

If my understanding is correct, then I would suggest you should consider pre-selecting your base camp spot and locating a survival stash there with the heavier stuff. Then you are back to using your EDC and a lighter BOB to get there.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.