Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#136349 - 06/17/08 12:43 AM Re: Multi Tool [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I can't open the blade with my left hand..."

You can, but it is a little tricky. I start the blade open with my left index finger, then, assuming that there is some inanimate object nearby, I use that to open the blade fully.

I bought the original Leatherman PST when they came out, and cut myself more than once when the blade folded up on me. When the original Supertool came out I bought that, and the blade folding problems were gone. But I disliked having to open the thing up every time I wanted a blade, so I went to the new model Wave, which I EDC, and use numerous times a day. Every day...

#136357 - 06/17/08 01:12 AM Re: Multi Tool [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's a good trick. I can get it half way with my middle finger but my index finger hasn't figured it out yet.

I love the fact you don't have to open the pliers to get at the blade(s) but the diamond file and micro screwdriver (with flat AND philips) were the features that really sold me.

I still prefer the pliers on my Gerbers.

I forgot about my other EDC multitool. Many don't consider it a multitool but I'll argue that one all day. When I'm going to work and need something a bit more subtle I clip my Victorinox Cybertool to my keychain. Almost as good as multiplier type tools and has some features that few pliers have.

#136368 - 06/17/08 02:19 AM Re: Multi Tool [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...half way..."

That is all you need, if you have something to put the tip against to open it the rest of the way. Your body can work, just be careful...

#136370 - 06/17/08 02:24 AM Re: Multi Tool [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

No kidding. That S30V blade came way sharper than I expected. A pleasant surprise.

#136381 - 06/17/08 11:36 AM Re: Multi Tool [Re: ]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

You'll get no argument from me Hacksaw. I too, forgot to mention my Vic Swisschamp that I EDC, don't work with small bits of machinery so I chose it over the cybertool models. I luckily, depending on how you look at it, work in a warehouse running production machinery so carrying a few belt sheaths (flashlight, multi-tool, lighter, and SAK)and a knife clipped into the front pants pocket doesn't raise any eyebrows. I'm actually surprised that the only other person who carries anything is the plant manager. He has a leatherman blast and a beretta folding knife he keeps in his pocket.

-Bill Liptak

#136383 - 06/17/08 11:47 AM Re: Multi Tool [Re: BillLiptak]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I edc a new model Wave in my briefcase. It also goes camping with me.

I bought one for my father-in-law and gave them as gifts to my groomsmen. Nothing says it more than tools!

I like the one-handed opening of the blade. Plus the blade locks into position.

#136398 - 06/17/08 01:10 PM Re: Multi Tool [Re: Mike_H]
Buffalohump Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
i have four multi-tools that I use...actually five.

Two with me every day are a SOG Powerplier and a SAK OH Trekker (the way cool German Army issue version).

At home I have a Swiss Champ and a Leatherman Wave II. These are both great tools but IMO too heavy to carry every day.

The Powerplier is a great compact plier. The compound leverage feature adds a great deal to the gripping capacity.

Unfortunately the teeth from the gears makes the use of other tools like the screwdrivers a bit tricky.

So for this type of action, in addition to bottle and can opening, I go to the SAK One Hand Trekker.

IMO this knife is the best bang for your buck in the MT world. Everybody, and I do mean everybody, should own one!

The fifth tool I use is my wife's Micra. Another winner! After many years of hard use, it can still cut my toe nails - and that's no mean feat lemme tellya.

I also own a SOG Crossgrip that I don't use much. Its a bit redundant to be honest though I will find a place for it somewhere one day.

#136409 - 06/17/08 01:43 PM Re: Multi Tool [Re: Buffalohump]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...Micra..."

How could I forget my Micra? It, with a toothpick thingy and a "special" key on a ring are always hiding in the bottom of a cargo pocket. But I use it so little I forget it is even there...

#136414 - 06/17/08 01:55 PM Re: Multi Tool [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Buffalohump Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
Yup, the Micra is a great tool...

Actually it used to belong to me but I gave it to her a while back.

Kinda wish I hadn't now...

#136438 - 06/17/08 02:56 PM Re: Multi Tool [Re: Buffalohump]
djlmwh Offline
Stranger

Loc: Oregon
I used to carry a full-size Gerber multi-tool of some variety, supplied by the Navy, but the plier heads failed. I switched to a Leatherman Fuse, which had just enough on it for my purposes, but took it clamming and the salt water did not agree with it. (Luckily my RSK Mk1 made it just fine.)

Currently I'm carrying a Leatherman Skeletool, and I love it for what it is: small, easy to carry, and never more than what I need.
If you favor tiny tools and cost isn't a factor, I recommend it. It's got enough flexibility for me to be just enough in addition to the other stuff I carry, and I almost forget that it's in my pocket.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.