The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#136222 - 06/16/08 02:10 AM Sawyer Extractor Test
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Today my #2 son managed to have a bee fly into his "Crocks" style shoe and get stung. He seemed to be in a lot of pain when I walked over to see what the fuss was about. The stinger was sticking in his instep. It was to small for my fat fingers so I scraped it out with my pocket knife.

My pack was nearby, so I wipped out the Extractor, put on the smallest cup, pulled out the plunger, positioned it on the bite and pushed the plunger down.

Immediately several drops of clear liquid accumulated in the cup. After about 30 seconds he stopped complaining about the sting and started conplaining about the suction, so I pulled the plunger back out and took it off. I thanked him for helping me test the Extractor. In another minute, he was running around playing again.

So I guess it worked.

Next we try it on snakebites...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#136224 - 06/16/08 02:31 AM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: thseng]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
good luck getting a volunteer for that!
Glad it worked.

#136226 - 06/16/08 02:40 AM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: thseng]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Very nice! The Sawyer Extractor is one hard device to find real-world results on… mostly because of the point MDiana brings up: no volunteers. It is nice to see that this thing actually can work as advertised.

#136228 - 06/16/08 03:00 AM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: thseng]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I had the same results once with an insect bite. I'll pass on the snakebite tho, next time I am around rattlers they will be Mojave Greens...

#136240 - 06/16/08 01:10 PM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I've heard mixed opinions on using it on a snakebite... Nice to know it worked well for a bee sting.

#136242 - 06/16/08 01:25 PM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: Mike_H]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My theory as far as snake bites go is, what can it hurt? It is not like you are using an old Cutter Snakebite kit, slicing a couple of X's into yourself (or whoever). If the Sawyer doesn't get all/any of the venom out, at least it hasn't done any further damage. Hopefully I will never have to find out for real...

#136244 - 06/16/08 01:31 PM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It's nice to know it works as advertised. I bought one just because my dad is badly allergic to insect stings.

#136245 - 06/16/08 01:46 PM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Mojave Green -- you'll want something just in case.
Quote:
. . .Their potent venom is the result of a presynaptic neurotoxin composed of two distinct peptide subunits.[13] The basic subunit (a phospholipase A2) is mildly toxic and apparently rather common in North American rattlesnake venoms.[14] The less common acidic subunit is not toxic by itself but, in combination with the basic subunit, produces the potent neurotoxin called “Mojave toxin.” Nearly identical neurotoxins have been discovered in five North American rattlesnake species besides C. scutulatus.[14] However, not all populations express both subunits. . . In people bitten by Venom A Mohave rattlesnakes (those outside the relatively small Venom B area in south-central Arizona), the onset of serious signs and symptoms can be delayed, sometimes leading to an initial underestimation of the severity of the bite.. . .
I wonder if the time delay before onset of serious symptoms from a Venom A bite is due to time required for the two subunits to interact. I imagine that removing some of the venom with the Sawyer Extractor works may buy some additional time and may help the antivenin. It can't hurt can it?

#136249 - 06/16/08 02:26 PM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Russ
I wonder if the time delay before onset of serious symptoms from a Venom A bite is due to time required for the two subunits to interact. I imagine that removing some of the venom with the Sawyer Extractor works may buy some additional time and may help the antivenin. It can't hurt can it?

I would hazard a guess that the time delay is more likely the result of the neurotoxin getting to where it would do some damage. If you get bit in the arm, it probably isn't noticable if your sense of vibration or temperature is affected, as much as when suddenly your muscles stop working. Different nerves are different sizes as well, which may affect the speed of effects.

Just an educated SWAG.... (but hopefully it sounded like GOOD bs!)

#136252 - 06/16/08 02:37 PM Re: Sawyer Extractor Test [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Could be, just as good a swag as mine. I just got the impression the two subunits got together like a binary to make the really bad form of neurotoxin in Venom A. But now that reread it, the mixing probably occurs before the bite. That said, using a Sawyer Extractor to remove as much of it as possible can't hurt.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.