The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#135776 - 06/12/08 09:15 PM Bug Out Cart
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have been reading a lot of the short stories(Post SHTF Type) over on Frugal's site, I got the idea for one of these from some of those stories. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&id=0005568

Has anyone else ever considered the idea or even purchased one for the purpose of bugging out? I'm going to carry mine in the truck in the event I have to abandon it and hoof it home or to my BOL. Guy had it advertised on a local classified forum for $80, to good a deal to pass up.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#135781 - 06/12/08 09:31 PM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I'm not sure if that particular cart has been mentioned before, but the topic of a bug out cart comes up from time to time. Here's one thread on the topic.

Great for hauling loads that are too much to carry on your back, or to carry the same load farther, but I guess the practicality depends a lot on the situation that you'll be using it in. Both a dense, urban situation full of unprepared folks could make a juicy target, and on the other extreme, rough terrain could be too hard to navigate.

What kind of situation were you thinking of specifically? Pulling it along rural roads?

#135786 - 06/12/08 09:54 PM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: Arney]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

it also looks like if you had to you could use it as a stretcher, albeit not for a patient with a back injury, but someone with a broken leg maybe.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#135789 - 06/12/08 10:21 PM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: climberslacker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Climberslacker, you've got the right idea. However, if the person is in imminent danger where they are, you move them. Probably didn't cover that in your CPR class, but they should when you get to first responder.

To the OP, I'd have to agree with Arney. It keeps your hands busy and yells "Target!" to hooligans. If you're in a great area with nice enough folks, should be OK though.

#135792 - 06/12/08 10:36 PM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: MDinana]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
+1 on the idea of a cart, but one that is not too unusual for the area. "Borrowed" grocery carts, wheel barrows, radio flyer wagons, garden carts, etc. all can be useful in the right circumstances and environment, and help move a lot more stuff. Even some of the wheeled backpacks and luggage bags could be used in a urban environment. My favorite bag has wheels and an extending handle, then converts to a backpack.

#135793 - 06/12/08 11:01 PM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: bws48]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
A bicycle combined with a cargo trailer has some obvious advantages.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?categ...0All%20Products

Jeff

#135794 - 06/12/08 11:10 PM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: Jeff_M]
TS_Shawn Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
[img]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=36382[/img]

This trailer is rated to carry 100 pounds.

#135799 - 06/12/08 11:47 PM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: TS_Shawn]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I travel on back country roads mostly, some dirt and others paved, sometimes I use the interstate for 15 miles, most anywhere I would run into a problem and have to leave my truck I can walk home, I was thinking that this cart might be useful in the event that I would be on the way to my bug out location which is a good 60 miles and have to ditch the truck, still back roads. If I would have to use it I would make sure to be aware of my surroundings and get off the road at the first sign of traffic or people, a grocery cart would look to out of place, now a red wagon might not or a wheel barrow but this cart holds more. Both a wheelbarrow and a wagon are a little on the unstable side., and I don't see a whole lot of difference between this cart and a garden cart. If I was just going to carry a wheeled backpack I would just use my Camelbak BFM, but I have a few more items that will not fit in one, so I thought the cart might fit the need. This weekend I'm going to take time to load everything and see how it handles.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#135808 - 06/13/08 01:30 AM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Spiritwalker Offline

For the price you paid, I don't see how you can go wrong. With some added sides, I bet it would work for hauling firewood or water in large containers as well. I have a river about 3 miles from here and have been thinking about how to carry water, sans vehicle, from the river to here in an extended emergency (There are a number of elderly folks in our little area.), looks like that cart would fit the bill pretty well.

Please let us know how it works for you.

#135829 - 06/13/08 02:46 AM Re: Bug Out Cart [Re: Shadow_oo00]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...This weekend I'm going to take time to load everything and see how it handles..."

Let us know how it goes. If possible, try to take it over some rough terrain...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.