Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#136006 - 06/13/08 08:26 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It makes sense that omnivores and carnivores would store up fat during the winter whereas herbovores wouldn't. It's probably easier to find a bit of bark or twig to eat rather than a deer, at least in the past.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#136008 - 06/13/08 08:33 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: Blast]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Secret Weapon

#136009 - 06/13/08 08:37 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Secret Weapon...

Speaking of weapon, sounds like it could take the place of pepper spray, too. wink

#136010 - 06/13/08 08:41 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: Arney]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Unfortunately it doesn't squirt very far so it's no bear repellant...but it could be used to keep critters out of your camp I think...like putting hot sauce in your garden to keep cats and rabbits out.

#136014 - 06/13/08 09:02 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Now that I think about it, the stuff has other survival uses.

Capcaicin is used in topical arthritis meds these days. You can apply it topically for sore joints and muscles. Althrough at this concentration your hands would need to be quarantined for a few days. Capcaicin has no smell to speak of compared to products like tiger balm and should be less of an attractant. Also, I'd like to see the look on a bears face when he sniffs a limb with a liberal application of this stuff. Just taking the cap off the bottle can make your eyes water.

Maybe that's why I have rubber gloves in my first aid kit! wink

#136023 - 06/13/08 10:02 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Depending how long you're stuck out in the sticks, your clothes and shoes might well fall apart. How's your skills at sewing and curing hides?

You will eventually run out of ammo. At which point, I'd probably go with a bow/arrow set up. You feel OK on fletching arrows (I don't)?

Otherwise, nice ideas!

#136084 - 06/14/08 10:44 AM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
OBG, waaaaaaaaay too much time on yer hands smile But it's nice to know that some of the family pets have a real use....

#136085 - 06/14/08 11:20 AM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: NeighborBill]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
To me, you are blurring the lines between concepts. Your everyday carry or EDC is designed to get you to your bug out bag or BOB, as I understand it, which is meant as a 72-hour kit to get you to your survival stash (which in turn is designed to get you to your ultimate well-supplied sustainable-survival retreat).

EDC is a major and recurring discussion on this forum.

BOB gear would be lightweight, multi-use, and definitely iclude water and food so you can move without need to hunt or forage for a few days at least. The design is to let you get clear of major population centers with their likely problems in a major emergency.

Survival stash gear would be as robust and inclusive as your survival journey needs, including food and water replenishment gear, and would incorporate everything appropriate from your BOB. The design is let you travel, perhaps several hundred miles on foot if necessary, to get to your survival retreat.

Survival retreat gear would be as extensive as your budget allows, aimed at indefinite sustainable living. The design is to be in a discrete location remote from most other folks so you have a chance to ride out a major disaster that may take months or years to resolve; some plan based on various end-of-the-world scenarios.

If you are at or next to where your survival stash would be, then you may not need a BOB, your EDC amd survival stash would suffice.

If you are fairly near to your survial retreat, then you may not need a survival stash, your EDC and BOB suffice.

If you are living in or next to your survival retreat, then you may not need either a BOB or survial stash, your EDC alone would suffice.

Or so it seems to me this early in the morning.

Edited by dweste (06/14/08 11:27 AM)

#136095 - 06/14/08 01:28 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: NeighborBill]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...waaaaaaaaay too much time on yer hands..."

I know. My wife has been feeling kinda puny lately, so I stay quiet by banging the keys quietly...

#136113 - 06/14/08 05:25 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Sorry to hear about that...hope she feels better soonest smile

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.