Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#136079 - 06/14/08 04:52 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Blast]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
in would walk this little not quite domesticated feline. . .

I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as domesticated felines, just ones that have figured out humans can be a food source in multiple ways. eek

-Blast

'Dogs have owners - cats have staff'
The Sock

#136080 - 06/14/08 04:56 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Blast]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
The only persons on this site who'd advice I'd bet my life on is Doug Ritter.

I'd put Taurus in a close second.

-Blast, who isn't kissing up to get more detcord... whistle

Not dismissing anyone elses knowledge. But the person on this site who's opinion Id trust the least is myself.
I'm a backpacker in Europe. So I can't light a fire, trap, fish, hunt and have never been more than a few miles from a road in my life. Doug is the only one who is widely acknowledged as an expert so I'd go for his guides; not the forums for advice.
Wouldn't you?
The Sock

#136087 - 06/14/08 11:50 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: TheOGRE]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: TheOGRE
Jeanette, please don't irratate the DM, for he is always right and the sudden appearance of a Ancient Red Dragon as a wandering monster is generally bad for the adventuring groups health.

Too funny!!! *poof* you are dead.

#136090 - 06/14/08 12:45 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Mike_H]
sodak Offline
Addict

Michael Crichton wrote a great book about time travel back to 14th century France. It was one of my favorites of his, and addresses a lot of these issues pretty well.

Practice your swordsmanship!

#136096 - 06/14/08 01:29 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: TheOGRE]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: TheOGRE
Jeanette . . . the sudden appearance of a Ancient Red Dragon as a wandering monster is generally bad for the adventuring groups health.

You're preaching to the choir.

Jeanette Isabelle

#136101 - 06/14/08 02:21 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I believe you are talking about Timeline...

#136104 - 06/14/08 02:38 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
I believe you are talking about Timeline...

Could you include a quote so I know what you are talking about.

Jeanette Isabelle

#136106 - 06/14/08 02:47 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
That book is Timeline, which I found quite entertaining. It was also a pretty poorly made movie (IMO).

#136108 - 06/14/08 02:51 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: MDinana]
Carpal Tunnel

And here is where the confusion lies. Mike replies to my post but refers to another.

Jeanette Isabelle

#136117 - 06/14/08 06:15 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

With all due respect I have no interest in fantasy novels or role playing games. Time travel is just the setup for this thought experiment. Time lines, paradoxes, and notional understandings of the physics of time travel are pretty useless subjects for practical survival.

On the other hand practical survival in 1000AD is an interesting thought experiment. Dealing with technology, social structures and making the best use of a short list of materials and a much more extensive knowledge base most practical minded people in this age possess but fail to realize they have:

There is another thing a modern traveler might be able to do in 1000 AD. You would have significant advantages in navigation. The map you could draw from memory, assuming your map literate and reasonably capable, would blow virtually every map of the day out of the water.

What passes today as working knowledge of celestial navigation would put you in the upper percentiles of navigators and astronomers. They were still working out planetary motion. Latitude, asa practical concept, was understood fairly well by the best navigators. But longitude was a complete mystery. Just knowing how it was solved, by use of accurate clocks, puts you ahead of every navigator of the day.

So much better if you have a watch.

Add to this an understanding of nutrition and vitamin-C, a problem that would be the scourge of oceanic navigation into the 1700s, and food preservation and water collection and you could be the single most capable seaman on the planet at the time.

Remember that Columbus was looking for India when he ran into the Caribbean and Cuba. Which is why we call native Americans Indians. You might not know a lot about geography but you know rough where North and South America are. You know were Australia is. You know about the isthmus of Panama. In broad terms where Japan and Korea are.

Given a choice getting to a port and signing on as navigator might be a good move. Possibly working for a mapmaker. Knowing the alphabet and numbers would be a major benefit. Ports were less well traveled by clergy and they were, by reputation, more tolerant of differences and peculiarities. A large muscular, overly clean, effetely soft, person who could read and who has strange manners and customs might not stick out so much.

Funny thing is that if you know something about seagoing boats in modern times you wouldn't be unfamiliar with the boats of 1000AD. The basics haven't changed in a thousand years.

For those who don't think thinking about living in 100AD has any practical value you might remember that navigation is a practical skill. If you could get along as a navigator in 1000AD you could pretty much make your own working tables and instruments and navigate in a survival situation today.

For long-term survival the practical aspects of food preservation and nutrition are the same as in 1000AD. As are the aspects of getting along in a radically foreign culture. Dropped into the tribal areas of Afghanistan could see you having to get along with practitioners of a harsh religion where inadvertently insulting their faith, or advertising yours, could be fatal.

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.