The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#136021 - 06/13/08 09:49 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
So, what have you actually found while hiking?

My list includes a mosquito headset, a beanie, socks, a 19th Century ladies shoe, blasting caps, and, of course, innumerable items of trash, some recent, and some appearing to be 50-10 old.

Jeff

#136022 - 06/13/08 09:55 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Jeff_M]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've only ever found garbage and broken equipment like tent poles, fishing rods, etc.

Plus rope...I constantly find rope in the bush, tied to trees, etc.

#136032 - 06/13/08 11:26 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Same here Hacksaw. Mostly junk, A LOT of string/cord/rope but worst of all is beer bottles and tin cans. The worst trail I was ever on was a snowmobiling/ski trail and there was more garbage on it than I could carry out in a month of Sundays! Even the warm-up ski shacks were full of garbage!

I did find a cheap Canadian Tire multi-tool though - it had almost no rust on it so I assumed it was a fresh loss and took it home, gave it to the nephew. It was still in good shape but I didn't need it.

#136033 - 06/13/08 11:32 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Roarmeister]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Ive only found cans, and some wire...

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#136047 - 06/14/08 12:59 AM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: climberslacker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Pop top pull tabs. I haven't seen a can with those in a long long time, but I still find them. Nails in trees too, but those are harder to pack out. As a camp host I find all kinds of things that campers leave in a vacated campsite, I just store it in case they return for it, after a few weeks I tell the ranger and let him/her worry about it. No one ever leaves anything that interests me, darn it..

#136052 - 06/14/08 01:25 AM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Jeff_M]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
So, what have you actually found while hiking?

A cop's stolen SUV.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#136060 - 06/14/08 02:39 AM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Around here, they would have torched the thing just because it did belong to law enforcement...

#136078 - 06/14/08 04:36 AM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
finders keepers, losers weepers...lol

#136238 - 06/16/08 12:51 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Themalemutekid]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Camp 1: Winter hiking along a wide creek in a Wildlife area. No snow on the ground but temps in the 30's. Noticed a camp maybe 100yds off trail other side. Tent collapsed. Investigated. Crummy brand tent & sleeping bag. Tent collapsed and open with some snow inside. Sleeping bag kind of tossed about. Really cheap cooking kit sitting in the fire ring with ice in the pot. Really cheap damaged pack. The tent and gear was not up to the seasonal temps and looked long abandoned.
My buddy and I packed it all up into the backpack and stashed the pack next to the cattleguard that defined the land boundary between State and Federal land (Didn't want to carry it all out). The "trail" was a closed 4WD road that would be passable if it were open.

I called the County to report what we found. Dispatch said it was a poacher's camp they'd been watching for awhile. (Known of - perhaps. Watching - I don't think so. It was abandoned.) Called the USFS and told them where to find the packed up stuff on their next drive thru the area. (it's gone)

Camp 2: hiking in a relatively remote valley looking for airplane wreckage. Month of June so still some snowdrifts at treeline. I hiked to the ridgetop and looking downhill saw something blue sticking out of a snowdrift.
Story here:
http://www.coloradowreckchasing.com/DillonA3/A3trips.html
JD had been hunting. Weather started very heavy snow. He wrote a note with his phone # and left it in his camp then bailed out. I took his note and called him to verify he got out ok and to tell him the camp was melting out.

Bottom line is that the answer depends on what I find. If it's a dropped water bottle, I'll carry it in case I find the owner. Camera would get turned in. Gun likewise. Knife .... depends on value. Stashed gear gets left alone. Trash gets picked up.

It depends.

#136248 - 06/16/08 02:17 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: unimogbert]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Unimogbert,

Wow, you have some great stories! I'd never thought to go hunting downed aircraft.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.