Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#135975 - 06/13/08 07:13 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I don't know about the fat in the birds mentioned, but water fowl usually have a good amount of fat.

#135977 - 06/13/08 07:14 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: DesertFox]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Here ya go...

#135984 - 06/13/08 07:34 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

Is there such a thing as shelf stable, storable animal fat? I used to think fat-back was but anytime I see it at the supermarket it's in the cooler.

Cured cuntry style ham and bacon.

#135986 - 06/13/08 07:40 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

This one is 'specially for Blast...

#135989 - 06/13/08 07:50 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: big_al]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: big_al
Hacksaw:

For your cooking need you might try this.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=288270

I've had fair success (I've never needed to so I've only tried once) using the stove from my Crusader canteen this way. There's just enough room for a twig fire or to drop in hot coals from a bigger fire though the latter usually isn't needed since I bought the cup hanger when I got the kit.

Peanut butter is a good idea too but you can't really use it to suppliment what you catch/trap/shoot...unless you're pregnant. And it runs out. At least with extra fat used as a suppliment only you can have it last a lot longer.

If you're crafty you can save the fat from the fatty animals you do kill. If you cook them over the fire the taste is good but the fat drips off...wasted. I'd likely boil the meat since I'm not sure my bushcraft skills are up to building a bush smoker/oven and then skim the fat off the water. It would keep a little while...much longer in winter. Boiling also makes sure you kill any bugs which might be in the meat. Drinking the water you boil in also gives you some protein plus the fat if you don't skim it off.

If you could build a smoker then you could preserve the meat and ration it a bit. It's not hard to do it the way the native americans did but you need to have some skill and lots of patience.

I ran out on my lunch break and picked up that solar light. It's not the most highly engineered piece in the world..and it's going to require an adaptor to charge my phone but it seems quite functional...once it's charged we'll know. The panel comes with velcro to attach it to your pack or something...handy.

I also picked up a 7x10 silnylon tarp. Lighter than I expected. It's too bad they don't make compression bags this small...the silnylon really wants to expand...I have the same issue with my Tarponcho and I'd love to be able to scrunch them down.

#135990 - 06/13/08 07:53 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I think I'd have to be pretty darn hungry to eat a pet...but if you stray from town far enough Coyotes are abundant...I wonder how eatible they are.

#135992 - 06/13/08 07:57 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
If coyotes taste anything like dogs I'd have to say they are quite tasty.

OBG, very interesting link. I wonder if nuetering rabbits would cause them to fatten up...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135996 - 06/13/08 08:08 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

This is the best I could find on eating ole Wiley C. Looks like you better skip him in the summer, but winter might be a little better, fat wise. As far as taste, that is why they invented Tabasco...

#136000 - 06/13/08 08:15 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Here ya go...

Pigeon. If the Zombies attack Manhattan, and I cannot get out, I'm starting a pigeon farm on my roof top.

#136003 - 06/13/08 08:19 PM Re: Sustainable resources - New BOB idea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I have a secret weapon for food that's less than pallatable.

It's 6 different hot sauces mixed together with peanut oil, left to stew for a day or three, then strained through paper towel (you don't want to strain out ALL the heat) and put into a small atomizer bottle. I keep a small 1oz. bottle of it in my desk at work and even though many of my lunches get 3 or 4 squirts it lasts a long time (i'm still on my first bottle since coming up with the idea over a month ago).

A bigger bottle is definately going to go into this BOB now that odd food comes up(seperately wrapped in a freezer bag of course in case it wants to contaminate everything I have in there). A 5 oz. bottle would likely last years considering a whole squirt is likely more heat than any average person would consider tasty...or safe to put in ones mouth.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.