Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#135956 - 06/13/08 06:34 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
You are dead and yet not dead at the same time,

No, you are dead BEFORE you are alive which isn't any more of a paradox than being alive before you were alive. In 1000 AD there isn't a dead me and a live me at the same time (ala Schrodinger). From that prespective, it's no different than me being alive now and dead in the future. To the universe, there is no difference particle-wise between a living or dead creature. As one famous time traveler stated, "Life is just the Univierse's way of keeping meat fresh."

The live/dead situation you describe isn't the same as Schrodinger's Cat. In this case, both the live and dead me would exist and could be observed by the same observer at the same time. There would be no collapse of the waveform to a single state.

FYI, I have a master's in quantum physics.

In reality, whistle the paradox occured when the time travel took place. By traveling backwards in time you've essentially created matter and energy out of nothing. The amount of matter/energy in the universe is constant. The particles that eventually became you already existed back in 1000 AD. They can't exist there in two places at the same time. To the universe, it'd look like new matter suddenly popped into existence. The Universe HATES that when it happens.

Of course, this could be circumvented if you were recreated out of atoms present in the past, but that could be very messy if things went wrong.

-Blast, who would still hook up with performers, though a port city sounds good, too.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135957 - 06/13/08 06:44 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Blast]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I would like to pose a related hypothetical.

"If you were to travel back in time to 1000AD with Jeanette Isabella and Blast, once they began discussing quantum physics, how long would you WANT to survive."

#135958 - 06/13/08 06:48 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: DesertFox]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
travel back in time to 1000AD with Jeanette Isabella and Blast, once they began discussing quantum physics,

LOL! Point taken. Jeanette, PM me if you want to discuss this more.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135959 - 06/13/08 06:49 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: DesertFox]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...how long would you WANT to survive..."

Not long, considering the headache I am sure it would give me. Too much deep thinking for an old guy...

#135960 - 06/13/08 06:49 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
In reality, the paradox occured when the time travel took place. By traveling backwards in time you've essentially created matter and energy out of nothing. The amount of matter/energy in the universe is constant. The particles that eventually became you already existed back in 1000 AD. They can't exist there in two places at the same time. To the universe, it'd look like new matter suddenly popped into existence. The Universe HATES that when it happens.

Man you beat me - I will just have to travel back in time and post before you grin. Oh wait I can't do that ther would be too many atoms just then.

Pete

#135961 - 06/13/08 06:50 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: DesertFox]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I think I would want to hang with Blast. We could form a performing troop on our own. And, if horseflies attack, I'm sure they would go after him more! ;-)

I think that our colorful clothes would place us more along the lines of nobility... No one would be sure which nobility, but that could make things interesting... Speaking in odd tongues, wearing odd clothes that are brightly colored, definitely fit and free of disease...

I, for one, really am enjoying this thought exercise...

#135963 - 06/13/08 06:56 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Mike_H]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Blast and JeanetteIsabella, hope you didn't take offense, just a little good natured ribbing after a night of no sleep and my 23rd cup of coffee.

Mike H, with that hat, you would probably be immediately declared King and Blast would have to start planning his coup. He has disclosed his plan for world domination here before. Why not get a 1000 year head start?

#135964 - 06/13/08 06:59 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Mike_H]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
With Blast's luck, he'd end up in 10,000 BC and would be sitting there in his cave admiring the fire he made from scratch, pondering how to catch the mice that infest his new dwelling and in would walk this little not quite domesticated feline. . . meoww smile

#135966 - 06/13/08 07:00 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Blast]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
To the universe, there is no difference particle-wise between a living or dead creature.

Your right.

Originally Posted By: Blast
In reality, whistle the paradox occured when the time travel took place. By traveling backwards in time you've essentially created matter and energy out of nothing. The amount of matter/energy in the universe is constant. The particles that eventually became you already existed back in 1000 AD. They can't exist there in two places at the same time. To the universe, it'd look like new matter suddenly popped into existence. The Universe HATES that when it happens.

I don't see how. Don't forget that the universe is multi-dimensional. For every amount of space traveling back in time, there is an equal amount of space traveling forward in time.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135971 - 06/13/08 07:04 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Maybe we should ask Shirley MacLaine, she claims to have bounced back and forth in time quite a bit...

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.