Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#135929 - 06/13/08 05:27 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
. . . Time travel is possible or it isn't. There is no in between. If there is a way to get there, then there is a way to get back. . . .
Assuming whatever takes him back is a two way street. What if his method of going back is a one way street and the way we are currently going into the future (check your watch, we're moving through time) is the only way back? You could be waiting the rest of your life -- which could be a short time or a long time depending on how well you can survive living in that age.

#135933 - 06/13/08 05:43 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Russ]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Russ
You could be waiting the rest of your life

Look on the bright side, maybe you won't live very long.

At any rate, methinks you people have learned too much of your history from Monty Python.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ages#Modern_popular_use

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#135934 - 06/13/08 05:45 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Time travel is possible or it isn't. There is no in between.

Yes, but how can you be sure rescuing you be worthwhile for the time machine's owner? It seems you are assuming time travel would be a low cost/low energy activity. What if the economics of time travel makes your rescue cost prohibitive?

From the question as posed it sounds like you were sent back in time accidently. It's easy to have an accident in the lab, I do it all the time. The question is, what will it cost to fix the damage (or retreive the traveller)? Worst case scenerio is they decide the best way to avoid damage to the known timeline is to kill you before you can mess anything up.

Imagine you are sitting in your cave when suddenly a small device pops into existence. It has note saying to hold it close to your body and press the red button.

Next thing you know, St. Peter is staring at you with a shocked look and says, "Wow, are you early!".

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135938 - 06/13/08 05:52 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Russ]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

any thoughts about becoming the next in-famous highway man? rob from the rich? at least for a little while before you become as malnourished as the locals.

#135940 - 06/13/08 05:54 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Assuming whatever takes him back is a two way street. What if his method of going back is a one way street and the way we are currently going into the future (check your watch, we're moving through time) is the only way back?

Time travel is theoretically possible even beyond the fact we are traveling into the future at the rate of one minute per minute. Therefore, if we can travel 1,000 years in one direction, we can travel 1,000 years in the other direction.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135941 - 06/13/08 05:58 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: thatguyjeff]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
In keeping with the OPs intent"

I would solve the language problem by pretending to be a mute.

The guys who suggested finding a seaport are on the right track. Port cities would probably be accustomed to strangers from different places. Your superior knowledge would eventually help you excel.

If you decide to live off the land, stay away from major population centers, castles and transportation routes. The low population density would make it likely that you could find someplace to eek out a retched existence without attracting the attention of the nobles.

As for getting my history from Monty Python, I would always keep in mind that "No One Expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

#135944 - 06/13/08 06:16 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: horizonseeker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
any thoughts about becoming the next in-famous highway man? rob from the rich?

Um, actually the original tales of Robin Hood had him stealing back money taken from common people by excessive taxation from the government... whistle

But in a similar vein, maybe Nostradamus was a time traveler...

-Blast

p.s. Anyone here ever read "Lest Darkness Falls"? It was about a college professor who got sent back to the end of Roman times. He brought distilled alcohol, fumigation, perspective in paintings, and pockets in togas to the people and eventually managed to ward off the Dark Ages. It was a pretty good book.

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135946 - 06/13/08 06:16 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Blast]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
Yes, but how can you be sure rescuing you be worthwhile for the time machine's owner? It seems you are assuming time travel would be a low cost/low energy activity.

I am not assuming that at all, a time machine needs to have fabulous amounts of energy. One either has to use negative energy, a nuclear reactor, an Orion's rift generator or something else of that nature.

Originally Posted By: Blast
Worst case scenerio is they decide the best way to avoid damage to the known timeline is to kill you before you can mess anything up.

Imagine you are sitting in your cave when suddenly a small device pops into existence. It has note saying to hold it close to your body and press the red button.

Next thing you know, St. Peter is staring at you with a shocked look and says, "Wow, are you early!".

Congratulations, you just created a paradox. You are dead and yet not dead at the same time, just like Schrödinger's cat.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135949 - 06/13/08 06:24 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
You dying in the past does not create a paradox at all. It actually cleans up the balance sheet quite nicely. You are killed and are thus prevented from overly contaminating the timeline.

I won't even start talking butterfly effect.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of surviving in a port town... The stranger aspect could work in your favor. I come from a far away land with strange knowledge and a liquid that will rock your world!

#135955 - 06/13/08 06:33 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: thseng]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
At any rate, methinks you people have learned too much of your history from Monty Python.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ages#Modern_popular_use

Medieval Coconuts

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.