Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#135843 - 06/13/08 03:29 AM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Art_in_FL]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Agreed. A lot of stuff, let it be. A knife on the trail, pack it out...

#135848 - 06/13/08 04:41 AM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: OldBaldGuy]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
A friend of mine is a park ranger. He has loads of stuff that people just get to tired to carry and throw along the trail. I'd do what they do - pack it out, turn it in, and come back in a month to get it if no one claims.

#135935 - 06/13/08 05:46 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: NightHiker]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
when hunting there have been times when I have had to stow my backpack and some other non-essential gear under a tree marked with trail tape so I could hump out the meat to my truck.(this can take up to 4 trips when alone and when hunting Moose) I have since bought a meat hauler bag that can fit the meat with the gear but a lot of my friends still use the ditch the gear under the tree technique.

A hunter would be REALLY pissed off to return and find someone walked off with his gear.

#135937 - 06/13/08 05:50 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If I had to leave anything behind (and it would seriously pain me to have to do so), I'd leave a note on waterproof paper pinned right to the outside of my pack/stuff with instructions to any passers by that if it were beyond xx/yy/zzzz date and I had not returned, to take my stuff to the nearest ranger/conservation station and report it.

That move could save my butt if something had happened to me while I was doing whatever it was that made me leave my stuff behind.

#135942 - 06/13/08 06:07 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Good idea

I hated leaving anything as well, thats why I got the Erblestock J104 for hunting as I dont have to ditch gear. In the past I would take my PSK and FA supplies etc and stuff them into pockets, take a GPS grid of where my gear was stowed, mark the location visually(but not noticable to someone who just may wonder by) I didnt want to draw attention to where my stuff was because I am not so trusting of other people as some.

It sounds silly to do but if you want to get the meat back to the truck something has got to give. A moose quarter is just way to hard to carry with some styles of back pack so it comes down to one or the other. I keep my rifle as well and dont ever leave it in the truck to be stolen by someone. It stays with me back and forth between trips. Besides, A guy trotting along with a quarter of meat on his back all alone in the vast wilderness of northern Alberta is a bears dream come true.

#135948 - 06/13/08 06:22 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Taurus
Besides, A guy trotting along with a quarter of meat on his back all alone in the vast wilderness of northern Alberta is a bears dream come true.

LOL. That's more funny to me today for some reason. Maybe it's the Bear Aware certification I got last weekend.

The funnier thing is that you're not supposed to drop the meat and run...because then you're feeding the bear and habitualizing it to associate humans with good eats.

I suspect the training documentation was written by a hunter who'd rather fight a bear than give up his 1/4 moose. wink

#135976 - 06/13/08 07:14 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Chisel]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I was using the word cache loosely - forgot there's still places where folks may churn up the ground to bury a real cache. Out here in the PNW we try not to disturb the soil, instead you throw a trailhead bike or pack or non-essentials behind trees or ferns or rocks and usually return to find it okay. There's lots of cover ten feet off trail without burying things. And if its a food cache, much better to hang it than to bury it, today's cache hole becomes tomorrow's mud hole (once you've returned and emptied it out).

Someone else said something that strikes me as a good idea for marking gear so others don't assume its lost (besides a note) - put a rock on top of it. I can't think of too many situations when a thinking man won't ponder how that rock got there if the owner didn't place it.

#136004 - 06/13/08 08:22 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: Lono]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Another bear factoid: Burying food won't stop a bear if he's determined. Uncle Grizzly's claws were made for digging and they've been recorded digging up to 6 feet deep in a 13 foot diameter because they smelled something tasty...in the case I read about it was garbage.

#136007 - 06/13/08 08:27 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Geez, so if he smells your grave, your food??

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#136011 - 06/13/08 08:42 PM Re: So you found something in the woods [Re: climberslacker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Grizzlies prefer rotting meat/carrion to fresh (one of the arguments for playing dead...they're less likely to eat you until you're 'ripe'). They're more scavenger than active hunter.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.